Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: New Belts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:33 am 
1360cc
1360cc

I fitted new klippan seat belts to JAM last night......It'a amazing what a difference they make! Not just the safety aspect, but also the feel of a nice new clean belt over the dirty, old, faded leyland belts, makes the whole interior feel like new....oh hang on...it is... :lol:

But seriously, I remember Mike (aka Dr Trim) saying his new belts 'felt' real good....now I know what he meant. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:45 am 
1275cc
1275cc

YOu like being straped up mate...kinky :lol:
By the way how much did they set you back for the front belts

Cheers

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:51 am 
1360cc
1360cc

ooohhh yea, forgot to mention.....big thanks to Davo for getting the belts for me 8) Thanks mate! Now where are those rears!!! :lol:

Aaron, they retail for about $90 (retractable). Lap Sash non retractable are cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:54 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Yeah I put in retractables on Lillee not too long ago. The safety aspect like tripples doesn't it?! :lol: Feels awesome.

Aaron, for round nose with the door pocket, the belt back plate requires modification, but it fits and works nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:57 am 
1275cc
1275cc

nah i think i will leave the lap sash belts to be honest
i like them in the van. But i may get some new ones before rego again

Cheers

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:15 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

68Delux wrote:
Yeah I put in retractables on Lillee not too long ago. The safety aspect like tripples doesn't it?! :lol: Feels awesome.

Aaron, for round nose with the door pocket, the belt back plate requires modification, but it fits and works nicely.

I am curious as to why you say the safety aspect increases, it doesn't you know. A fixed belt is much safer as it doesn't stretch in a prang and believe me the inertia reels do stretch and unwind a lot and in a small car like a Mini that can be a problem. Inertia reels unwind off the reel in a prang and all the latest European prestige cars are addressing this by locking the webbing and not the reel. Inertia reel belts were invented for one reason and that was to ensure that they were adjusted correctly at all times. Before their use it was common for people to not have belts tight enough.

Everything I like is either
illegal, immoral or fattening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:30 pm 
religious status
religious status

Barney (`66 body) is about to get a 4 point harness... ADR approved too.. thanks Davo!
I can't fit inertia reels in like I did mine, because the early Clubby seats are too wide, and the wife hates the lap sashes- even though they are new Klippans. :cry:

Post subject: Stretch
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:39 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Chris wrote:
68Delux wrote:

I am curious as to why you say the safety aspect increases, it doesn't you know. A fixed belt is much safer as it doesn't stretch in a prang and believe me the inertia reels do stretch and unwind a lot and in a small car like a Mini that can be a problem. Inertia reels unwind off the reel in a prang and all the latest European prestige cars are addressing this by locking the webbing and not the reel. Inertia reel belts were invented for one reason and that was to ensure that they were adjusted correctly at all times. Before their use it was common for people to not have belts tight enough.

Chris...tut tut...ALL belts stretch after being used in a shunt. The Cops used to/still do? cut the belts in wrecks for just that reason. I have seen a full harness in a racing car extend at least a foot in a hard impact. They are designed to do that to absorb energy.... and save your life by minimising where your body goes.

However, without leg tethers, crotch straps etc you can still do a hell of a lot of damage flailing about...hey your head is unrestrained for a start.

If the impact is big enough...no belt will save you.

The thing with inertia reels (or retractable if ya like) is that modern cars have pre-tensioners (sometimes explosive!!).....the down side is that they lock just like fixed belts....

You may recall years ago there was a campaign to have people carry a knife to slash the belts to get out in an emergency and a club to break a window if needs be. There was/is a gadget with hardened steel cones for breaking glass and a slot with cutter to slip over a belt to slash it (mounting bracket supplied close to the driver so IT does not become a missile) .....

The trick is to never use the belts in anger....stay safe Mini people :!: 8)

Post subject: Re: Stretch
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:19 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

[quote="9YaTaH"Chris...tut tut...ALL belts stretch after being used in a shunt. The Cops used to/still do? cut the belts in wrecks for just that reason. I have seen a full harness in a racing car extend at least a foot in a hard impact. They are designed to do that to absorb energy.... and save your life by minimising where your body goes.

However, without leg tethers, crotch straps etc you can still do a hell of a lot of damage flailing about...hey your head is unrestrained for a start.

If the impact is big enough...no belt will save you.

The thing with inertia reels (or retractable if ya like) is that modern cars have pre-tensioners (sometimes explosive!!).....the down side is that they lock just like fixed belts....[/quote]

The point I was making that all belts do not wind off the reel if they haven't got a reel. It is this problem that the Europeans are starting to address now. In a mini with such a limited amount of space belt stretch has to be kept to a minumin otherwise the body hits something. No inertia reel in the local parts store is going to have pre-tensioners in it so given a choice (not always possible) fixed belts are always better. I have never seen a belt replaced after a shunt in any panel beaters. I have done hundreds of smash quotes for parts and they never buy belts and I have never seen a copper cut one. All belts do stretch but inertia reels stretch and unwind. There was a few cars getting around with a locking lever on the belt so that they could act like an inertia reel if you needed to reach for something and then could be locked..the best of both worlds.

Everything I like is either
illegal, immoral or fattening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:40 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Well one, seat belts are designed to stretch to take the absorb the energy in a crash. If they didn't stretch in an accident say 80km/h they would be as lethal as wearing a wire cable! :shock: I am surprised that they don't replace old belts after a crash! there should be a law against that... maybe why lots of people get bad whiplash in accidents these days? :?

Two, these new seat belts are sensitive in locking. They lock up even when you don't want them to. They are quite springy too so they tighten up fast and the have a ball bearing level sensor thing, if the belt unit is tilted in any way (say hard side impact or car rolling over) they lock up automatically.

It's so good that I find I have to loosten the belt abit during driving as it gets tight around my beer gut at times. If i am parked on an unlevel driveway they lock up so I have to back out before putting the belts on.

No way in hell my old lap sash belts were safer than these new belts! New lap sash ones perhaps but not what I had. Besides my wife loaths lap sash belts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:12 pm 
the King of Bling

Okay I have fitted Morrise with the ALFA33 reals and Sue and I Love them...very similar as Angelo (75)
AS Morris has the orginal Seats they Love to Lock under :twisted: 8)
But still you are able to reach for things 8)
Stretch... :?

Post subject: Re: Stretch
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:34 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Chris wrote:
The point I was making that all belts do not wind off the reel if they haven't got a reel. It is this problem that the Europeans are starting to address now. In a mini with such a limited amount of space belt stretch has to be kept to a minumin otherwise the body hits something. No inertia reel in the local parts store is going to have pre-tensioners in it so given a choice (not always possible) fixed belts are always better. I have never seen a belt replaced after a shunt in any panel beaters. I have done hundreds of smash quotes for parts and they never buy belts and I have never seen a copper cut one. All belts do stretch but inertia reels stretch and unwind. There was a few cars getting around with a locking lever on the belt so that they could act like an inertia reel if you needed to reach for something and then could be locked..the best of both worlds.

You have a very good point there about mini-mising the amount of movement in a sudden stop in a Mini....especially if you have fitted a laminated screen....they don't shatter :!: So fixed belts, worn tight/firm are probably the best protection other than a race harness with an appropriate seat ...people can complain all they like about discomfort, but when you are accelerating towards the screen waiting for the slack to take up....you might just think again :!:

We will have to agree to disagree on replacing the belts though, common practice might be to overlook their replacement (don't make it right) but ask any safety expert or whether the manufacturer will back a used belt and you will get a different answer....

I have also seen vehicle inspectors defect frayed belts.

In the racing world I believe they tend to cut used belts and straps off helmets....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:46 pm 
ET 13.457 seconds , OH YEAH !!!!

I need new belts..Is that $90ea?

Would I be able to use a race harness with my seats even if they don't have the holes through the back? I've read all about submarining in an accident with harnesses as well.. :?

I'd like a race harness..probably both though, have mounting brackets and stuff for the harness and use a new 3-point for casual driving..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:36 am 
848cc
848cc

how do you go about fitting these inertia reel belts to a car that has fixed belts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:48 am 
1098cc
1098cc

A while ago I scored myself some NOS late 60's lap sash belts for like $10. They might be going in very soon. Retractables would be nice but really just cant bring myself to put all that plastic and red buttons into the car - I like the classic chrome fittings you get on the older belts - and obviously theyre in perfect condition not frayed or loose.

I'm still looking for those Britax BMC lap sash belts with the little rossette on the lock - theyre pretty cool. So far I've got new Britax belts in the lap version but the safety aspect puts me off using them.