Ausmini
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:10 pm 
998cc
998cc

okay so i got my disks and wheels, now i started to take off the drums got the steering arm thing offbut cant get the bloody swivel joints or whatever they are called, off! someone please help me, i dont know what to use, and i need to get em off lol :?

Last edited by sociallydisabled on Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:16 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

you will need a ball joint splitter,, about $20 at any repco, supercheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:48 pm 
998cc
998cc

cheers, is there any other way to do it other than getting one of them....cos i wanted to do it now :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:56 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

A block of wood and a brick! Undo the top bolt. Leave it done up slightly so that it is level with the head of the ball joint screw. Jack up the car and put a piece of wood (pretty long) between the ground and the upper arm (attached to the ball joint). Lower the jack carefully putting pressure onthe ball joint, trying to make it so that it is being lowered on the right angle so that it will come out. Now wack the top of the ball joint (make sure nut is flush with screw or you will stuff it), with a couple of hard blows and it should drop! Well it does for me anyway.Reverse for lower one.

Probably wouldnt try doing this if you havent done it before, always make sure you have a tre under the drum or something and never have any part of you under the car! But this is how I have done for years, and how my dad did it for years, and his grandfather did it for years, and once you have done it once it is quite easy.

But if you havent done it before I would try another method!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:05 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Yes but be careful here goes....

get a ball hammer DO NOT hit on top of the thread this will damage the thread and you may not get the nut back on.

you need downwards pressure on the swivel hub (like a piece of wood or some other lever get a friend to help you :D ) whilst you have down wards pressure get a ball peen?? hammer and hit the side of the top arm where the ball joint goes through you will need to hit it hard and probably repeatedly as you actually need to bulge the metal of the top arm very slightly so that it pops the ball joint out.

This does work we (me and Dad) have done it many times also make sure you don't hit the side of the thread as this will bugger up the thread and you will have trouble getting the nut back on.

I is safer to get a ball joint splitter but if you are in a hurry and want to try it that's how

The more downwards pressure you can get on the swivel hub the less hard you will have to hit the top arm

Hope this helps and be careful cause buying a new ball joint is not going to speed things up either :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:17 pm 
998cc
998cc

thanks guys, wish me luck, its rather frustrating :( but thats how cars are lol...and thats why i love it, because the end result is much more satisfying 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:03 pm 
998cc
998cc

SUCESS!!!! Thanks everyone for your help, now i will be able to do the other side quick smart tomorrow :lol: i may take some photos, make a how to?....what do yas think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:56 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

great idea, lots of photos at each step of the way :)

AUSSIE Turbo mini forum >> http://boostmini.justboard.net/

https://www.facebook.com/boostmini