Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: centre oil pickup?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

been told i need a centre oil pickup and was looking through ebay and found this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 4543816021

good price or are there others cheaper??? do you need to get the engine out to fit this or is it easy to fit yourself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:31 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Engine out, gearbox off job... Yes you can do it yourself :wink:

The alternative is:

1) don't take hard right hand corners (or was it left? :? )
2) Fill your oil up just over FULL so that when you do take hard rights, oil pressure doesn't drop off completely.

If you aren't running serious horsepower, I wouldn't worry about it honestly...

Last edited by Lillee on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:31 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

wow there doesnt look like much to it.... imo thats a lot of money for very little, but you know how it is with mini parts prices... its a big job to do once your motor is assembled and in place.. its a motor off box job. b its one of those things you do when its out... well its gotta be a darn sight easier...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

you shuld be able to get one for about 100, dont know where in brisbane. As others say unless you have the motor out and apart for other reasons it is alot of work for very little benefit. worth fitting if it's all apart but you will spend more money on baskets,paint and bushes to put it all back together.

Cheers

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:57 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

sorry aaron gotta laugh at your expense... neat typo LOL i guess thats supposed to be gaskets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

what don't you use baskets to rebuild your engine.... damn i knew i was doing something wrong :shock:

Cheers

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:05 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

actually i was covering up for you letting slip about the secret baskets mod... so shhhhhh
i think we got away with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:06 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Honestly :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:12 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I got told they're a MUST for any sort of hard driving.
Even with the oil a little low, and in a motorkhana, my beast hasn't ever lost pressure.

Crap I don't wanna jinx it!!! My car has very good hearing you know
sorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:11 pm 
998cc
998cc

My engine is out at the moment. 1430cc beauty being built and popped back in. I'm thinking about getting a centre oil pickup and now would be a good time.

When you say you have to drive it hard for the COP to be beneficial, how hard is hard? 'Race track' hard? Or like 'hard street' hard? LOL...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:13 pm 
998cc
998cc

Also, while I'm at it, are there any other benefits of having a COP apart from better oil distribution when cornering? Or is this the ONLY thing it does?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:20 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

FatMaserati wrote:
My engine is out at the moment. 1430cc beauty being built and popped back in. I'm thinking about getting a centre oil pickup and now would be a good time.

When you say you have to drive it hard for the COP to be beneficial, how hard is hard? 'Race track' hard? Or like 'hard street' hard? LOL...

I have that question also. I suspect long corners will be the culprit, not motorkhanas like Bob was talking about. Are they only for track use? I suspect so but would like to hear some before and after experiences

Everything I like is either
illegal, immoral or fattening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:08 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

FatMaserati wrote:

Now is the only time to do it. - Engine out gearbox off, leyshaft out

How hard? - How long is a piece of string?

Here's a little experiment that will answer the question for you. Get a gearbox casing, seal up the ends, half fill it with used black, dirty, used, sump oil. Now place it on your passenger seat and strap it in with the top of the casing open to spillage. Now go driving around roundabouts and othe twistie bits in your normal driving style.

If you have no problems competing this experiment - then you don't need a COP :lol:

ummm - I would even attempt it - that is why my box is having a COP fitted as we speak.

Cheers Dat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Now is the time to do it, a center oil pick up is to reduce the risk of oil starvation to your oil pump. It can happen if you dont have enough oil in the box, or tight cornering. It is a preventative thing that will save you rebuilding a box, engine etc etc. If you starve the oil pump of oil, it stops pumping oil, burns itself out, and then your whole engine becomes oiless and you have issues with eveerything seizing because there is no lubriaction. If it is out do it, DEFINATLY do it, if you are building a new engine, you would be silly not to.
To fit. Undo the the old oil pick up and pull the top part out. Then you will have to remove the layshaft and laygear to get out the oil pick up strainer. Which is a good chance to check your layshaft too. This will involve, pulling the side cover of the box off. (need a new gasket(or is it basket) for this. Then remove the 4 bolts holding the retainer ring that is around the main bearing and pinion(there are shims behind these, DON"T LOOSE or FORGET THEM). This will allow you to get at the locking strips(don't know the word) that hold the layshaft in place. Once this is removed, tap(well push) the layshaft out. once thats done lift the laygear out and remove the strainer. To fit, you will need to manuveur the center oil pick up and the laygear into place. you can't fit the oil pick up and then the laygear, won't work. Once thats all in, you can refit the layshaft(make sure you check it and the bearings while you have it apart that much) and everything else in reverse order.
the retainer ring (more like a c shape) needs to be torqued down. I haven't got the book infront of me so you will need to check this.
It's not that hard, and can be done with two sockets and a torque wrench. and perhaps a screwdriver to hold the gear in place when you take the shaft out/in.
Gearboxes now that i have done one are really not that hard.

Cheers

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:07 pm 
998cc
998cc

Heh heh. I'm getting my engine professionally rebuilt at MiniCraft, so I'm not really concerned with how hard it is to fit or how to do it. LOL. I'm a lazy SOB!

I might give Cono at MiniCraft a ring tomorrow and see what he thinks.