Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:36 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
i`m sorry but i just have to say here (& i mean this in the very nicest possible way)

Dog engagement gearboxes are really only any good for racing purposes

we have been using 6-speed dog boxes in our minis for quite a few (over 10) years & i just want people to understand that it`s not really a "Nice" box to use around town,,, not nice at all

now i`m sure David will chime in but i think this needed to be said ,,, anyone "thinking" they can use this type of box on the road is just kidding themselves

ABSOLUTELY spot on Matt. Mate you know as well as me what it would be like driving with one of these is peak hour traffic.
Now this is why I did not allow people to get all excited by saying that I was going to make them. It's all well and good to make a componet out of something else, but like any modification LOOK AT THE WHOLE PICTURE. Mini's are a different ball game.

So Simon your are dead right , any sequential shift is just banged thru the gears and one VERY important thing with sequential boxes is the clutch arrangement. So think about it and what a mini has for a clutch arrangement and what needs to be done to it to get a sequential shift box to work. I gave a little hint when I posted the pics of my 998 crank.

Stop laughing Matt :lol: I know that you know what it is.

But hey this guy has done a bloody good job of it and all credit to him. He got off his arse and did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:10 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

I looked at it for a while wondering where the oil pick-up would fit. :lol: (eventually worked it out!)

It is a top job and a credit to the bloke that made it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:17 pm 
998cc
998cc

I appreciate your comment Matt (as I know you have waaay more engineering knowledge then me. To be honest prolly everyone here does too) , but what I want to know is why would it be a dog to drive around town in?

Wouldn't a sequential box be easier to change gears with? Pull down or push up seems better then doing the dog leg to 3rd or back to second with my wobbly gearstick.....

Oh yeah, what s a dog engagement box (something you see on the back of a tradies ute?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:29 pm 
Mods rock!

clovus wrote:

Wouldn't a sequential box be easier to change gears with? Pull down or push up seems better then doing the dog leg to 3rd or back to second with my wobbly gearstick.....

Oh yeah, what s a dog engagement box (something you see on the back of a tradies ute?)

OK, there's actually a few different things going on here.

A 'Dog Box' is a slang term that means there are no syncho's in the gearbox. In a 'normal' gearbox, they have cone clutches, refered to as syncho or baulk rings. When you shift, these synronised the speed of the gears so that as they are engauging, they don't grind. The full engaugement is still in fact done on dog clutches.

A dog clutch is one that is either 'engauged' or 'not engauged' there is no in between.

The sequential shifter is a seperate item. It is just the means of transmitting gear stick movements in to the gearbox, can be fitted to a helical cut box too (I think there was a link on here to someone who is making one).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:44 pm 
998cc
998cc

The bloke who made that six speed box is I think from Glouscter , NSW.

He has made 2. The one in the photo and one he is using in his Ute which was at Wakefield . He had a 8 Valve twin cam Bmw head and turbo charger. Dynoed at 190 hp atw + the 6 speed box. Cant remember his name but intersting to listen too and had the time to talk. He said he built the box because someone told him he couldn't..............!

He won best engine bay at the OZ 50 Wakefield event.....

grahaminaus or watto will know his name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 pm 
998cc
998cc

So it would be hard work, as you'd have to match the revs before changing gear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:52 pm 
religious status
religious status

clovus wrote:

No, for 2 reasons-
1. The dogs are face dogs on the side of the gear, they have a lot of slack when engaged. Unlike the splined `dogs' in a mini box. So they have `time' to engage without crunching.
2. The gear ratios in 6 speed boxes are very close, so the relative speed of the dogs is low before engagement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:23 pm 
998cc
998cc

drmini in aust wrote:
clovus wrote:

No, for 2 reasons-
1. The dogs are face dogs on the side of the gear, they have a lot of slack when engaged. Unlike the splined `dogs' in a mini box. So they have `time' to engage without crunching.
2. The gear ratios in 6 speed boxes are very close, so the relative speed of the dogs is low before engagement.

Kind of like a Detroit locker diff when laying the power down and then bangs into gear and the car shudders with fear :!:
(Dog drive = positive drive/engagement)

I'm am talking way out of my leage here, but don't mega expensive race boxes use electro solenoids to hammer the gear changes through using dog drive box, F1 etc?

Slot car couch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Anyone can get an electric solenoid to change a sequential gearbox, you just activate a switch that tells the solenoid to push or pull depending on which switch you activate.
Most common way for paddle shifters to work.
And it can all get very technical when you ignition cut for the milliseconds that its disengaged and all sorts of fun stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I reckon that a squential shift box is very good for a race car,but for normal road use it could be a pain.
First problem is using the clutch for take off, when you look at the bike clutches they are designed to completely dis engage so that the first gear can mesh. Look at the size and spacing on the dogs.
Then changing gears you need revs and a blip on the throttle to get them to mesh easily. Now a bike weighs a lot less so the over run of the car back on the out put is a lot less, so if you miss the sweet spot then you start stripping the dogs.

Now in traffic and you were say going from a stop and into 2nd or 3rd gear then you would be up and down on the throttle all the time.
The biggest problem with a dog type box is the slow speed engaging 1st and using the clutch as you stop. If the clutch is not set-up right and there is any residual drive from the engine and with the movement of the car back driving the output shaft then it would be very hard to engage 1st.

The other big problem with the bike gearset is the type of oil and the level they run for lubrication. If the gears are immersed in oil and the oil is thick then this will have a bearing on the gear change as well.
I would be interested to see what the bloke who is running this box finds it all with a std oil level and oil under the mini engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:47 am 
Bimmer Twinky

CLUNK,,,, bang... CLUNK,,,, chunk chunk ,,, clunk

even most of the later model road bikes have "Sofening" systems in place, one in the clutch itself with rubber (forgivingness) buffers to help soften both engagment & disengagment of the clutch

& also have a rubber "Cush-drive" fitted into the back wheel-hub (between the sproket & the driving hub) to help soften the harsh blow of gear changes

especially at rest/stationary

if you check-out any of my buggy videos you`ll notice the chunky gear changes from stationary ... on the run isn`t so bad but standing still they clunk into gear pretty ugly like.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mexp

the sequential shifter part does actually help (on the run) as it does make the changes much quicker, so usually less drama & less clunky-ness,,, so around a race track they`re generally faster because less time taken changing gears means more time on the power peddle

what i`d like to see is something like the CVT system as in the nissan micras,,, now that would be interesting fitting that type of system into a mini box, underneath an over sized R1 or hyabusa engine for the road :-)

now that`d be sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---> David ????? :-) ;-) ;-) :-) :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:55 am 
998cc
998cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
what i`d like to see is something like the CVT system as in the nissan micras,,, now that would be interesting fitting that type of system into a mini box, underneath an over sized R1 or hyabusa engine for the road :-)

now that`d be sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---> David ????? :-) ;-) ;-) :-) :-)

Engine constantly reving at sweet spot :lol:

Slot car couch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Port Stephens, a little north of Newcastle, Australia
What's it like finding neutral in these boxes? In the old days it was a pig trying to find neutral on many motorcycles.
I suspect its probably improved a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

yeah the later bike boxes are better than the "good ol days" , but i have found that if the chain is too tight, then the occasional missed gear does occur,,, but the old "false" neutral (between gears) doesn`t seem to be that common anymore with the late bike boxes,,, more positive shifting has been sorted through better design, materials, metal treatments & finer tolerances etc

neutral is easy , go all the way down to first & then "gently" back up a half a notch,,, easy-peasy

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:14 pm 
Supercharged

the new micras have a cvt? cos the old ones had a 4spd slushbox.

the guy who makes an affordable 5 or 6 speed "overdrive" box to be used on the road will be a rich man.

i dont see any point in having a sequential box on an a-series really, even for racing. if you're gonna, you might aswell do the engine swap too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next