Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

Somebody just payed $383.00 for an ID plate from a MK1 Cooper S.

I am sure that the buyer has only bought this as a momento and would never consider fitting it to another lesser mini as that would be illegal.

Anyway I think that it would be a good idea to record the details when prohibited items like this slip through the eBay controls as a safeguard for all Ausminiers.

The ID plate came off car no.4772 which the seller said was wrecked over 20 years ago it was a spec burg in colour.

Maybe we could start off a 'Confirmed dead' register?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:07 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

dont need a dead register, its a vehicle, it should go in the full register and be noted as destroyed. a complete register is better than a few different ones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

tasti wrote:
Somebody just payed $383.00 for an ID plate from a MK1 Cooper S.

I am sure that the buyer has only bought this as a momento and would never consider fitting it to another lesser mini as that would be illegal.

Anyway I think that it would be a good idea to record the details when prohibited items like this slip through the eBay controls as a safeguard for all Ausminiers.

The ID plate came off car no.4772 which the seller said was wrecked over 20 years ago it was a spec burg in colour.

Maybe we could start off a 'Confirmed dead' register?

Agreed, this is an expensive momento.....or a very cheap identity for a fake! Car number 4772 is dead and should be recorded on the register as deceased, never to be revived.

If we include these on the register as deceased that will help stop the trade in rebirthing, devaluing our genuine cars and profiteering by sellers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:56 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

would be good to see a register online that we can all check easily, refer to when purchasing, selling and checking out any prospective purchases.

even if its just a minimal set of details to cut out the fakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:05 pm 
998cc
998cc

I hope whoever purchased this item is not an Ausmini member as the sale has most likely been reported. :twisted: So I would strongly suggest not proceeding with the purchase as this is completely illegal. If you do you have just wasted your money as I have recorded the identity as deceased and I hope Watto and others also record this car as dead also.

Yes, we should have a public list....Watto has the best list. Watto how can we access this or get a copy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:20 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

ill be happy to turn it into a web based list.

i can even create a login and form so that a handful of people could directly update it. I can host it, and ill even aqcuire a domain name specifically for it if your all interested.

tis what i do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:46 am 
998cc
998cc

Drexxle wrote:
ill be happy to turn it into a web based list.

i can even create a login and form so that a handful of people could directly update it. I can host it, and ill even aqcuire a domain name specifically for it if your all interested.

tis what i do.

I already have www.realmini.com registered for this purpose and the webspace ready to go.

If someone wants to assist with the webpage let me know. Its all paid for.
I was going to use a joomla setup and simply have an email login with car details instead of personal details. It is only a few hours work to kick it off but I have no time at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:35 am 
1360cc
1360cc

owen1975richard wrote:
So I would strongly suggest not proceeding with the purchase as this is completely illegal.

Hi

I am curious to know why the sale of this item is illegal. I was under the impression that as an "ID plate" it was ok, but if it was from a later car with a compliance plate then that was a big no no.

Who knows the "facts" :?:

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:02 am 
998cc
998cc

I think it's like a o lot of items - it's not illegal to buy/sell/swap them but it is illegal to use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:36 am 
1098cc
1098cc

1275LS wrote:
If someone wants to assist with the webpage let me know. Its all paid for.
I was going to use a joomla setup and simply have an email login with car details instead of personal details. It is only a few hours work to kick it off but I have no time at the moment.

urrrghhh joomla, you dont need a whole cms for just a small list based web site, and joomla isnt going to have a database specific to the list. I own www.miniregister.com.au, and do my own hosting and dev. So i can create a site specific to the register, no bloated CMS.

I can create admin logins, CVS download links, PDF download links, create a dBase specific to whats need to be captured, and offer admins the ability to upload photos, information about a specific vehicle type and so on. We could do a little more than just a register, we could make a valuable information store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:49 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Panthersteve wrote:
owen1975richard wrote:
So I would strongly suggest not proceeding with the purchase as this is completely illegal.

Hi

I am curious to know why the sale of this item is illegal. I was under the impression that as an "ID plate" it was ok, but if it was from a later car with a compliance plate then that was a big no no.

Who knows the "facts" :?:

Steve

Steve its not illegal to sell or own the plate. I was actually bidding on it for a reason. I have collected a few ID plates over the years from S's and Coopers. I want to have them affixed to pewter beer mugs to put into my "mini bar" that is going into the extension in my house. I just wasnt prepared to pay that much for it to go on a beer mug. To answer your question it is only illegal if you try to affix that plate to another shell, and pass that vehicle off as having those numbers. I worked as a cop for the crime unit up here, and stolen vehicles was one of the things the crime unit was often involved with. G.

Incidently the criminal code allows for 14yr sentence for this offence. Hope the purchaser thinks wisely

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:55 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I think you would struggle to get people to allow their car details to be listed on a public website.

As the value of the cars goes up, there are more dodgie b@stards out to make a quick buck.

It has happened in the UK, cars were 're-birthed' and sold to export markets several times over.

As a holder of one of the registers, which I keep confidential, I still struggle with some people to get their details.

Just my 2c

Maybe Watto will comment, he has the biggest list! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:23 am 
1098cc
1098cc

we can mask certain numbers in a list

like an engine number could display as 9Y#####456

admins could see the full numbers, this would stop the bad mofos, kinda like masking your credit card number off.

But you do make a good point. Ill email watto and see what his thoughts are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:34 am 
998cc
998cc

When I was talking about it being illegal, I was actually meaning using it for giving a vehicle a false identity. As has already been pointed out $380 odd dollars is more than curio value for a piece of memorabillia of this type. However if your intention was to use it on a vehicle it could be seen as somewhat of a bargain....
In addition to this, it is against Ebay rules to trade such items.
If this plate is listed on all registers as deceased, it really makes the plate worthless for any purpose other than memorabillia as it will be common knowledge that the car it came off was destroyed and that it has been affixed to another body - leaving the person who affixed it being open to prosecution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:58 am 
848cc
848cc

When I suggested a dead register I meant an open list of cars that would never be put on the road again. The list would not include any living cars. It would have been just another check that a Cooper s purchaser could make before parting with his money not unlike an ownership finance check.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next