Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:11 pm 
This space for rent

Lillee wrote:
This is a great thread for anyone wanting to create fake Cooper S's and GTs... Pick a number any number

Agreed. This sort of list is very useful, but only when it's not publicly available. Compile and maintain a dead list, sure.. but restrict access so that people can find out if a SPECIFIC number is reported "dead". Publishing the whole list in one place is a great resource for the Bad Guys.

The adventures of an owner builder in the Tallarook Ranges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:13 pm 
Mods rock!

owen1975richard wrote:
ykg2s4 wrote:
I don't think anyone has the right to post other peoples plate info
regardless of the intention.

:shock:

It is info already in the public domain, it was advertised on Ebay (it does not get much bigger than that!) and published by the owner! There is nothing wrong with publishing something already in the public domain with no copyright. THERE IS NO SECRET!

While not a 'list' as such, all the states have on line 'check' systems in place, with enough patience you can legally uncover as many numbers as you like. It is in the public domain and as owen1975richard has said, there is no secret.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:16 pm 
This space for rent

GT mowog wrote:
with enough patience you can legally uncover as many numbers as you like

Sure, but why make it easier for the scumbags by publishing them all in one place? By restricting the list to a per-query basis, the good guys are only slightly inconvenienced but the bad guys are massively. This is information security 101.

The adventures of an owner builder in the Tallarook Ranges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

If you after buying these days dont you check the engine numbers and vin numbers??? I write them down then go to the police station and cross reference them with the rego to see if they are correct. That was it can be seen if its had a engine change or the regestration has been used on another car.

A police check is something that should be done i feel before buying a car-- it also gives you bidding and barterign powers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:30 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

sgc wrote:
GT mowog wrote:
with enough patience you can legally uncover as many numbers as you like

Sure, but why make it easier for the scumbags by publishing them all in one place? By restricting the list to a per-query basis, the good guys are only slightly inconvenienced but the bad guys are massively. This is information security 101.

just because the data is in one place (which is what ive been offering to provide) doesnt mean you have to display it. you could do a per search basis and you could mask off certain parts of the serial numbers.

if someone else is using your numbers, and you have PROOF that yours are legit, then someone else is gonna get in crap. this whole rebirthing from old numbers is not going to happen very often. it does happen, and its more than likely going to happen when someone has both vehicles, ie cutting the shroud off one to put on another.

but having one authoritive list, managed by a few people, not only helps the owners, the buyers, but can also help insurance companies like Shannons, the police during thefts and so much more.

AND it doesnt have to be limited to cooper s, it could have all minis (k, deluxe, 850, leyland, rover etc etc.

[EDIT] With a database, and an input form, owners themselves can register with the database. makes it easier.

Last edited by Drexxle on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:32 pm 
Mods rock!

I'm not necessary saying that a list is good or bad.

I can see both sides, however the genie is already out of the bottle :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:12 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

So what happens if the info is wrong? Who is going to undo the financial damage caused by incorrect info?
This is too big a risk for the info to be on the web and available to anyone.

Lets go back to the ID plate that started all this crap. Can anyone here tell me where that car is today with absolute 100% proof?
All you have to go on is what some bloke on Ebay said in his advert to try and sell the plate. I don't know if the car exists or if it was written off.
I don't know if it went to a scrap yard after it was crashed and someone saved it (without the ID plate)
I don't know anything except the ID plate was on ebay. I have added that number to the others on my list of questionable numbers and I am happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:42 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

Morris 1100 wrote:
So what happens if the info is wrong? Who is going to undo the financial damage caused by incorrect info?
This is too big a risk for the info to be on the web and available to anyone.

Lets go back to the ID plate that started all this crap. Can anyone here tell me where that car is today with absolute 100% proof?
All you have to go on is what some bloke on Ebay said in his advert to try and sell the plate. I don't know if the car exists or if it was written off.
I don't know if it went to a scrap yard after it was crashed and someone saved it (without the ID plate)
I don't know anything except the ID plate was on ebay. I have added that number to the others on my list of questionable numbers and I am happy.

My thoughts exactly mate

sounds a bit like any "over-seas" bad-guys can easy grab all this info & "make" an Aussie "S" from the details & sell a re-birthed car from it all,,, sell it onto unsuspecting people in other countries

this sort of this (listing numbers on the net) is all now "hush-Hush" in England where it was happening for quite some time... lots of people from other countries have bought re-birthed minis from England,,, & this is exactly how they`ve done it,,, grab the numbers from the net from another country, stamp a plate, make it "Look" like the real deal & sell it overseas so there`s no come-back to them...

then it`s purely a matter of 1 - 2 warrantee,,, that is--> "once" you`ve paid the money "2" ****** bad

sorry but i`d keep all this info close to home & concealed... for quite a number of VERY IMPORTANT reasons

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject: Numbers for free.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:29 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Please don't.

Last edited by Convertible Mini on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Free Cooper S IDs.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Just look at this thread, pick the number of a car that no longer exists and Voilas ! you have a just re created it. Silly idea if you ask me. A few years back I advertised and sold a Mk Cooper 997 on Ebay. I listed it showing only the first letres and numbers of both Body and Engine, the rest iused *** You will be surprised how many people asked me what the rest of the numbers that I listed as *** were. Most of them were from Overseas. I did not give any one the full numbers I just suggested they come and have a look for themselves. I don't car if they bid or not. Some did and many did not. All they were interested in was the Numbers on the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:52 pm 
998cc
998cc

:shock:

Let's be honest here, as there are no build records we could all have a guess at some body numbers and create a fake. Look I will have a go:

I want my fake to be a Mk 2 Cooper 'S' YKG2S41310 and the Engine number can be 9FXEY53469 colour Snow White

Now I wanted my above identity to have 1310 in the body number because that is what I bored the engine out to! I put 69 in the engine number because well....It always sounds like a good idea! So tell me, is this identity real??????? Anyone going to have a guess?

I just went and picked up Parnell's book and thought I would create myself a English Cooper 998 identity, how about this one:

I want this fake to be K-A2S4 491310 and Engine number 9FASAH1069

Now once again, is this real or fake?

Let's be honest people, you do not need a register to create a fake identity! You just need to dream up some numbers you like that fit within the range for that year, which is freely available in many, many books and websites!

The register that I have proposed will help stop the trade in real body plates as why would you create a fake when those numbers are on a dead register? Therefore, you would need to dream some numbers up and create your own and then you are faced with the problem of creating a plate and making it look real! Much more difficult! Please note that the blank plates for sale on the net are not the same as the originals! It is about making fakes that are intended to be passed off as genuine cars as difficult as possible to manufacture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:00 pm 
religious status
religious status

If the numbers you made up are in use, Mr Plod might have a long meaningful discussion with you when you present it for registration inspection.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:08 pm 
998cc
998cc

drmini in aust wrote:
If the numbers you made up are in use, Mr Plod might have a long meaningful discussion with you when you present it for registration inspection.....

I would say the risk would less than buying a plate on Ebay where the car it came off may have been stolen three years earlier and scrapped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:11 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

The blank ID plates on the net come in lots of different grades of quality. You get what you pay for. The only hard bit is to make them look 40 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:17 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

you dont list the numbers, you allow people to search against them.

there is a right way and a wrong way to collate and make a database work.

admins have access to all the info, users search against the info. they would need to know the numbers to check against them.

my offer stands, im a web dev by trade, i deal with databases all the time.

but if people want to hold on to "their" lists, then theres nothing that can be done. i was just proposing a suitable site that would benefit all mini owners. not just cooper s owners, not just 850 owners, not just dead cars, all minis.

getting it to work is easy, expert sql, stored queries, secure logins and the lot can be used to make a site worthwhile but secure at the same time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next