Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

Drexxle wrote:
you dont list the numbers, you allow people to search against them.

there is a right way and a wrong way to collate and make a database work.

admins have access to all the info, users search against the info. they would need to know the numbers to check against them.

my offer stands, im a web dev by trade, i deal with databases all the time.

but if people want to hold on to "their" lists, then theres nothing that can be done. i was just proposing a suitable site that would benefit all mini owners. not just cooper s owners, not just 850 owners, not just dead cars, all minis.

getting it to work is easy, expert sql, stored queries, secure logins and the lot can be used to make a site worthwhile but secure at the same time.

How would you know that your data is real? What if it was wrong and some ones $30,000 car was declared a fake? Would you accept liability?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:39 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

there would need to be some sort of checks and balances.

what i would envisage is, owners submit their cars data, they sign off that it is legitamate. They submit a photograph of the body and the engine numbers which could then be authorised by an admin such as yourself Morris1100.

Once authorised it gets added to the database. Suspected wrong information could be then flagged by an admin, still stored in the database, but not searched on. if more information is added then the car would need to be looked at again.

owners could input a FULL serial number, input can be checked against and then that full number search on in the database. only spitting out limited information to the owner/purchaser. More information would need to be requested from an admin.

forms for input could be limited to drop downs, ie body prefixes, engine size plus bore size, engine number prefixes, therefore limiting the amount of bad information that is uploaded.

rather than informing the user that they have uploaded data that already exists, have an admin check against it.

if you were to speak with companies like REVS, or Shannons you could use their information to check legitamacy.

basically many of you have lists now, how can you ensure they are accurate. because there is human element to the authentication of those numbers.

http://www.elevenhundred.com/register.php displays photos of the vehicles, but no defining information. they obviously have information in the background not being displayed.

im not proposing a quick chuck a spread sheet online, im proposing spending some time building a secure and interactive site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:56 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Port Stephens, a little north of Newcastle, Australia
drmini in aust wrote:
If the numbers you made up are in use, Mr Plod might have a long meaningful discussion with you when you present it for registration inspection.....
I don't think they know or care. When I went to register my 66 MG1100....I could not verify it was the original engine but the RTA thankfully did not care. They said it was too old to be worried about it. So I could have stamped any old numbers or used a stolen
engine, all would have been OK.
A few years ago I was re-registering my '59 Mk2 Jag but I couldn't remember where to find the engine number so the garage said no worries, we will stamp the numbers but as they were getting the stamps out I remembered.
So I can not see how a register of dead minis could make the slightest difference in helping the crooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:05 pm 
Mods rock!

MG Rocket wrote:
drmini in aust wrote:
If the numbers you made up are in use, Mr Plod might have a long meaningful discussion with you when you present it for registration inspection.....
I don't think they know or care. When I went to register my 66 MG1100....I could not verify it was the original engine but the RTA thankfully did not care. They said it was too old to be worried about it. So I could have stamped any old numbers or used a stolen
engine, all would have been OK.
A few years ago I was re-registering my '59 Mk2 Jag but I couldn't remember where to find the engine number so the garage said no worries, we will stamp the numbers but as they were getting the stamps out I remembered.
So I can not see how a register of dead minis could make the slightest difference in helping the crooks.

There are PLENTY of cars getting about with the same engine :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:06 pm 
religious status
religious status

I don't think engine numbers are a problem, but body numbers can be- they are the primary car ID now. RTA system still has a fit if it finds duplication, someone here had this prob a year or so ago. Number (legit) was already being used on a trailer chassis by somebody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:39 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I had a problem with my mk1 sprite it matched a mk3 sprite and a box trailer all because the didn't stamp the type on to the body

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:08 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

drmini in aust wrote:
I don't think engine numbers are a problem, but body numbers can be- they are the primary car ID now. RTA system still has a fit if it finds duplication, someone here had this prob a year or so ago. Number (legit) was already being used on a trailer chassis by somebody.

in queensland both body and engine are recorded at QT, when i registered this current car, the only thing the the lady was interested in when viewing the car, was the body and engine numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:50 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

yeah but they (the Dept of Tpt) & many many other individuals around the world have no idea if it`s legit or not ,,, & i understand that "Thats" what people would like to see "NOT" happening,,, but the fact is that "Anyone" who knows what they`re doing could make a decent fake from "The Usual" things & get away with it,,, no matter if the numbers are accurate or not,,, people get stung all the time,,, especially selling it overseas (like quite a few people i know have)---> PRICKS!!!!!!!!,,,, It`s DISCUSSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!! & WRONG,,, TOTALLY WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!

but what can you do??? make a register to help try to stop it happening, yeah???

& yet at the same time,.,, that very register """CREATES"""" a whole other market of """"GENUINE"""" matching numbers for people to "PLAY-WITH"

Not everyone buying a mini will check here ,,,,!!!! ,,, kkkmmvv,,,,,iittt,,,g,g,g,g,g,!!!!!!

I`m not against it for one reason

But i`m sooooooooo against it for another (few)

sorry i`m on the fence ,,, in a sence,,, but it (the list) would have to be highly guarded/protected/double checked/totally accurate in every dept (& it cannot possibly be)

& yet it can`t possibly be "Guarded" for the same reason for it`s existence in the first place

maybe i`m wrong,,,, i was known to be wrong before,,, & i remember that one time perfectly well :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:57 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

TheMiniMan wrote:
maybe i`m wrong,,,, i was known to be wrong before,,, & i remember that one time perfectly well :-)

I have changed my mind, I now think it is a great idea. Come on Matt, get with the programme, we are being offered the opportunity of starting a fake Mini scam. These blokes are going to give us the numbers and then we can knock out two or three fakes a week. It is worth thinking about.

(edit, I think this was supposed to be a PM)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:16 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

hee hee,,,, ok,,, damn good idea,,,, but shhh,,, don`t tell the entire world-wide mini community (or anyone else looking at buying a mini) cause the jig would be up,,, & then both of us would get busted as liars , frauds & effectively "Theives",,, like some people i know :-) (((but are strangely enough still getting away with it))),,, for some reason

maybe we should list every mini numberPairing here cause that would create a whole pile of minis, with the very same numbers,,, all over the world,,,, & then know body would be able to tell them apart cause we made them soooo accurate (cause we could list them all for eveyone to see) that even in a court of law there`d be no one to proove us wrong, cause all the original mini number gurus are gone (old & died off years ago) & it`s all a new world order of young & up-coming liars,frauds & thieves

just like the GT HO & GTR XUI scene (etc)

What do we do????

tell everyone , everything,,, or keep it quite untill it---> "Naturally Boils"

I can`t answer it to be honest,,, i`d like to say "MAKE IT BE KNOWN"

But then i know what negativity that would cause at the very same time

tough call

then what about the "PILE" of innocent people (world-wide) who have already bought """What they think & have been told to believe"""" is a genuine "S"... but sadly (from this "possible" list) actually "Isn`t"...

soooo many cans of worms here it`s frightening really

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:18 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

Damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really wasn`t going to get involved with this one

who made me type this stuff

Damn it~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i`m not saying another thing

zip

zilch

you won`t here another word from me

i`ll be quiet as a mouse

no more typing

nothing

zero

the last i`ll say about it

no more

i`ll just5 be qiet

sit back & read only

won`t say a thing

that`s right

you heard me

nothing

no more

i`ll just shut ther fk up

shhhh

ok?

naut

o

not a thing

not one

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:22 am 
1098cc
1098cc

hahahaha matt, you do get your humor from your old man :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

just doing a quick search of this forum and i found over 40 engine+body numbers, im gonna make me 40 new cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:56 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Can I have first dibs on any 69 mk2 S numbers no tag needed that come on the register have all the origonal 69 S bits but no number to make my k into a origonal S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:14 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Stuff faking a whole car - quicker and easier and cheaper to go into production of fake ID plates - I means there's a blank one on eBay now and and even if you had to pay to tool up the right font punches you would cover that cost - knock up a plate - throw it out in the middle of the road - let it get run over a cover of times - an instant plate off a car the was wrecked 25 years ago :roll:

My greatest fear in life is that when I die my wife will sell my Mini and tools for the price I told her I paid for them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 am 
848cc
848cc

Another one on ebay.... fortunatley ebay have had the good sense to remove it.

I missed writing the plate details down, hopefully some one can add them. The car was a 3 number car.

I guess that the plates owner will now be on the look out for a deluxe and a set of 'S' badges.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next