Ausmini
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:09 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

What is the thread of the bolt that attaches the adjuster to the alternator ?

I have 5/16" (I think) but is it course or fine ? I get about 3 turns of either and stop. Or because this is one of Tony's 65 amp jobbies is it metric :evil:

Also I think I need to pack out the other end - the cotton reel thingy isn't long enough - there is a shoulder on the stud in the cotton reel but if I pack that end then the slider will be running on the thread so do I need to pack between the cotton reel and the body?

My greatest fear in life is that when I die my wife will sell my Mini and tools for the price I told her I paid for them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:19 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Answering my own question - the hole in the alternator is metric threaded at 8x1.2

What would people do? If I leave it metric it will be the only metric bolt in the whole car or should I take it out to 3/8" and re tap it UNC ?

On another note my original alternator was mounted with a single long bolt through the top holes - but the correct mounting is two separate bolts - is there a reason for this?

( I found a nice fat washer too work as a packing piece - just right :wink: )

My greatest fear in life is that when I die my wife will sell my Mini and tools for the price I told her I paid for them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

depends wombat, do you want the whole car to match for your box of mixed imperial bolts?

i'ts more hassle to do it now but converting to unc will stop you having the same problem if you ever change it again and lose the bolt as long as you have enough metal around it to do so.

one long bolt would pull the two tab mounts to towards each other, risking cracking them if you accidentally over tighten them (minimal but it is there, I've stripped wheel nuts over torquing them). also BMC would have had a million bolt the same length made up for the car why make a specialty one when you can get off the shelf components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:37 pm 
religious status
religious status

Early alternators where adjuster goes were 5/16 UNC, later ones are M8x1.25 as you found.
Just stick an M8 bolt in it and don't tell anyone. :wink:
(there is less than .002" diameter difference).