Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

Here is couple of quick pictures;
I was doing a dummy fit with cable ties. I will start doing the bracket soon.
I think I need to get rid of the original black bracket. Looks quite a good fit so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Wait, how does this power steering work? Is that an electric motor there to drive it?

I was under the impression that power steering was a hydraulic thing. I have a power steering pump in my car that operates the power assistance part.

If this one that you have fitted is electric, how does it work?

Edit: and one benefit i have envisaged for power steering is that you can shorten the steering arms to make for less turns of the wheel lock-to-lock. ie: quicker steering. Perfect for motorkhanas. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:26 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Theres a few different types of power steering. The most common and considered conventional power steering is hydraulic (pump on engine delivering power).

There's also power assisted steering like above, where an electric motor assists the driver with steering. Less parts in this system so more compact.

There's also combinations, like electric power steering where an electric motor runs a pump for hydraulic steering. This is good in that it still has the feel of hydraulic steering but no robbing of engine power or variance in steering speed according to engine RPM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi,
As Harley mentioned, there are different type of power steering.
This one is out of a Holden Barina and it is power assistance.
I thought it would be the easiest conversion for the Mini (remains to be seen).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:51 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Definitely would appear to be the easiest since you don't have to try to fit more stuff into an already crowded engine bay.

Will you need a controller box to work it, or is it an all-in-one unit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

It does have its own ECU but you need another control unit designed to work with Vauxhall / Opel electric power steering columns.
This unit does not replace your control unit but works with it to give you full control of the assist provided when the column is fitted to a car without an engine and vehicle speed signal.
Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0594827587
Although it is for the Vauxhall it is tha same with Holden Barina here in Australia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:56 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

oooh... cool. I'm keen to see how you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:45 am 
Yay For Hay!

Molina wrote:
Edit: and one benefit i have envisaged for power steering is that you can shorten the steering arms to make for less turns of the wheel lock-to-lock. ie: quicker steering. Perfect for motorkhanas. ;)

just gonna pick you up on that one - shortening the steering arms will just give you huge amounts of toe-out....

the only way to control the ratio of turns lock to lock is via the gears inside the rack - it still needs to move the same amount, for a quick ratio, a bigger pinion is used to push the rack further for the same amount of wheel turn

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:35 pm 
religious status
religious status

simon k wrote:
Molina wrote:

just gonna pick you up on that one - shortening the steering arms will just give you huge amounts of toe-out....

the only way to control the ratio of turns lock to lock is via the gears inside the rack - it still needs to move the same amount, for a quick ratio, a bigger pinion is used to push the rack further for the same amount of wheel turn

:D

I'm talking here about the steering arms, not the tie rods on the rack...
Provided attention is paid to the Ackermann angle of the steering arms, shorter ones WILL give more direct steering.
But, then the rack is in the wrong position.. too far back. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all,
Just a quick update on the power steering;
Bracket has done. Dummy fit perfect, top and bottom shafts will be done this Tuesday.
Top will be sticking out 8.5 cm and bottom shaft will be 7 cm.
I am still waiting for the control unit from UK.
Connect the power and of it goes (hopefully)
White paper seen on the photo; I will do fake wood grain panel there just to cover the motor that sticks out of the column.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:10 pm 
Die Die Die!!

if your looking for some info on this conversion check out kombi power steering conversions as they use the same PAS columns due to the fact they arnt tied into the wiring looms and are readily available, you will find its not as easy as just connecting it and it working,

those motors are usually driven by an assistance box wich controlls the level of assistance, the box gets its feed from the speedo or the wheel hub depending on type, or some people have been known to make their own assistant box with a knob.. but the knob kind is quite dangerous with the possiblity of having very sensitive steering at high speeds, which could cause an accident

i hope that info helps, let me know if you want to know anymore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:36 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi,
I know that.
Steering collumn has its own ECU and I am getting special box from UK that gets connected to the original ECU and that one simulates the inputs that I am missing and yes it does have a dial knob that you can adjust the sensitivity.
More info
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT
Done my homework :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:14 am 
Die Die Die!!

there are people developing a box that does it for you (they might have finished by now..) and from what ive read it would be a much better alternative

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:20 pm 
Die Die Die!!

thought id mention theres a power steering setup on UK ebay for sale,

but it has the knob type PAS sensitivity, better to upgrade to a propper unit imo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:31 pm 
848cc
848cc

Yes I have seen that one. I asked him abouit the shaft but he did not reply. I am guessing that he just cut and welded. I am getting new shaft made up. Bottom done waiting for the top side now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next