Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey Everyone!

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did a search but didn't find much. Just wondering what most of you guys do for sand/media blasting, do you DIY? If so what with? Those little cabinets, open air? Sand, glass, soda? Only small parts at home and send away for the whole body? I'm looking into doing some myself (both small items and large body sections) and am wondering what others are doing. Thanks heaps! :D

Cheers, Sam

Last edited by Sam W on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:01 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I have one of these:

and do some blasting in the open air (driveway) using garnet. It makes a bit of mess but it's harmless and the grit just gets swept up & binned and the balance washes away. It needs a pretty big compressor (13cfm or better) but does a great job on fiddley bits such as inner corners and around seams. It's not really suited to large panels. The grit is fairly inexpensive, a bit cheaper than stripper and much less toxic.

You could use it with a sandblast cabinet, either bought or DIY. This is the style I plan to build when I work out where I can store it:

I see there's now soda blast pots available; I'm not sure how they differ from mine, and even a dual media sand/soda unit. Soda might push the cost up unnecessarily as I'm not sure if the advantages (doesn't harm paint, more gentle action) outweigh the cost. Clean up is easier as it dissolves in rain apparently, assuming you get enough rain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:29 am 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

I picked up a benchtop cabinet for $150 on eBay four years back. I have slaved the unit through a restoration, and gone through a couple of bags of media (2 bags of Bengal garnet and glass each) in the process.

They're worth every every cent.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:46 am 
Mods rock!

Just keep in mind you'll need a big arse compressor, Angusdog has said >13 cfm but (sorry here Angus) my first one was 14 cfm and was no were near up to it. I'd say as a minimum ~22 to 24 cfm. It can also take considerable time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the replies guys. GT mowog, I'll check out the cfm on my air compressor, but it is a fairly big one so it should be ok, I can't afford another anyway. Angusdog where did you get yours from mate? and where do you get the media from as well?

Cheers, Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:49 am 
998cc
998cc

I've been trying to decide which way I'd go with sandblasting various moke bits and
just last week decided to build a cheap unit as it wont get used that often and i have better things to spend money on.
My unit consists of a gravity feed gun, it has a small tank on top that holds the garnet,
it cost $39 from Trade Quip agent (supercheap have a similar one for $49)
I brought $25 of garnet from local sandblaster man (about 20 litres)
then over the weekend build my own cabinet using one of those clear/white plastic tubs
I got a 100 litre one but supercheap had 130 litre for $24
brought some thick rubberish gloves from TQ agent $3.50, cut holes in tub, cut holes in wood, screw gloves to wood, seal with door seal, screw wood to tub, cut hole in lid,
sit bit of glass over hole, drill hole in bottom rhs of tub for air hose,
Took less 2 hours to make and less than $100. already have 15cuft compressor.
No need for inside light as tub lets it in, and no need for vacuum to suck out dust.
Havent sealed the glass or lid but not too much garnet excapes
The tank on the gun is a bit small, takes 2 -3 refills to do one side of brake backing plate.

I very happy with it so far, of course not as good as the bigger tanks/ cabinets but for the amount of use it will get I think its great value,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:32 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Sam W wrote:
Angusdog where did you get yours from mate? and where do you get the media from as well?

The blaster I got online from the NZ equivalent of Ebay so should be easy enough to source. They're about NZ$280. The garnet is NZ$ for 25kg. I tried ground glass but it's heinous to have lying around the driveway.

My compressor is 13cfm and you do have to stop for a minute every five minutes or so to keep up. It does give it a workout but my chinese compressor (branded 'Euro' ;) ) does just fine. It's as hard work for it as using the DA sander, but for nooks and crannies it's just the ticket. It has a workable area when blasting of about 3cm square, so large panels wouldn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks mate, yeah I only plan on using one to do the very hard to reach places/seams. I will look into getting one, if anyone is selling a second hand one around the Gold Coast let me know! Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

Cheers, Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

Ok, gave the sandblasting a go (as good as I want to domestically without paying a pro) and it works fantastic...except for the one job I need it to do, remove the body deadener? That thick black tar like stuff around the seams inside. Anyway, I am trying to do up around the dash and I have gotten most out, but not all, and was wondering what the best way to get rid of it once and for all would be? Would paint stripper eat it out? I have used petrol and other chemicals but none do an aggressive enough job so far, not the thick parts anyway. Would love some suggestions, don't really want to pay for a sandblasting guy, but might have to unless I can figure out a way.

Cheers, Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:40 pm 

The sandblasting (beadblasting or whatever you use) don't like the body deadener and seam sealant either. Unless you spend a lot of time and garnet trying to blast it off, then you will need ot get it off by mechanical means.

A heat gun will make it soft enough to scrape up, and that's how I went about it.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:49 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the reply Mick, what do you find is the best way to remove and remaining bits or residue? I used petrol (nasty, but does work) and lately some methylated spirits I think it is. Also the very tight to reach areas? Just persevere with it? One last thing is, do you put this black seam sealant back on later? Thanks again.

Cheers, Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:10 am 

I think I used thinners to get rid of the last remaining smears.

Yes you should put it back on again later, it stops water being forced through the seams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:07 pm 
998cc
998cc

question
is it one use only or can you reuse the garnet or any other media?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi try this for deadner removal http://www.wurth.com.au/catalogueview.a ... 3_0610.pdf Regards Daren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:50 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

norton wrote:
question
is it one use only or can you reuse the garnet or any other media?

Garnet etc you can reuse a couple of times, I believe, if you have a cabinet. I tried collecting it, sieving it and reusing it but it needs to be bone dry so didn't work so well, hence my 'total loss' driveway method (Wellington is blessed with some almighty winds sometimes...)