Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Minimic Im not sure if that is the same. I purchased mine from the UK I had to use contact cement to fit it to the bonnet and it would be much heavier than 200 gms Lindsays says his is self adhesive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:31 pm 
848cc
848cc

Below is a reply from a a good friend of mine, John Parnell from the UK and the author of "Original Mini Cooper and Cooper S", to a question i asked about the under bonnet material when I was looking to replace the stuff on my 1965 English Morris Cooper S back in 2004.

"The original bonnet sound deadening was made of a single moulded fibreglass panel. It covered the ribs and was charcoal grey in colour. They were glued in place, fragile to remove and the fibres will irritate the skin if gloves are not used. Because the fibres can separate and become airborne, you are also advised to use a mask when dealing with second hand items made of this material. It's nasty stuff, which is why its use was banned years ago. These original panels always looked dirty and slightly scruffy and in time became more so.

No one makes an absolute substitute. The nearest you can do is take a single piece of felt, cut it to shape and spray it matt black on the exposed side. Next, cut out infill sections for the four "triangles" so that they are level with the ribs (glue them in place), then cover the whole area with your large sheet of black painted felt, again, gluing everything in place, the unpainted side being the glued surface leaving the black surface to view. It's not perfect and you may have to experiment with different thicknesses of felt, checking that it does not foul the carburettor dash pots or air cleaners."

Cheers
John

1968 MG Midget