Ausmini
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Morris 850
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

Gday everyone! Im after some advice and opinions.

I have early 60's morris 850 in cherry red. All original other than a replacement repco engine my grandfather fitted.
My plan all along has been to do a ground up resto all original.
obviously not being a matching numbers engine kind of puts a spanner in the works in terms of collector value etc.

Whats your opinions on weather i should go ahead with a resto? Does anybody know anything about repco replacement enigines? My father said it was common back in the day to do repco engine replacements when it came to mechanical faults. i could not find any info about repco replacement engines.
Any feedback and opinions welcome.
Best regards Bryan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by bryfly43 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Morris 850
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Definitely worth restoring! having the original engine in a car is nice, but they're 50+ years old, 100% all original parts is often a pipe dream. It's still worth more restored to standard than modified to be something it's not. Your car is extra special because it's been in the family so long (since new?). I bet your grandfather would be stoked if it looked just like it did when it was new. Cherry red is an awesome colour too.

Repco replacement engines were common - they still did them into the 80's with Holden motors (and more?)

Just for my curiosity, what is the engine number on the block?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Simon, appreciate the kind words. i do know most of the history of this car. It was driven upto Andamooka (mining town, all dirt roads).
My grandfather never owned the car but my father told me he fitted the new engine. said it was a ning nong of job and swore alot.
The road conditions were far too harsh for the little 850 so it was parked and left on the side of the road for many years. Ive always loved minis from a young age and every time we used to go Andamooka i would go visit this car. we finally decided to track down the current owner. i think $200 later and the car was mine!
i havent looked at the engine number. where abouts is the number located? the engine is caked with red dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

That patina is sick. My personal opinion is that if its not worth big dollars why worry about the value? Do what you've always wanted in a mini. I like stinky, rusty, slow cars that dont stop real well. No point spending 15k on a car that could be worth 15k if its not what you want.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If I'm carrying on like a pork-chop, I'm having a great time.

If I go very quiet there's a very good chance I broke something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:45 pm 
Yay For Hay!

bryfly43 wrote:
Thanks Simon, appreciate the kind words. i do know most of the history of this car. It was driven upto Andamooka (mining town, all dirt roads).
My grandfather never owned the car but my father told me he fitted the new engine. said it was a ning nong of job and swore alot.
The road conditions were far too harsh for the little 850 so it was parked and left on the side of the road for many years. Ive always loved minis from a young age and every time we used to go Andamooka i would go visit this car. we finally decided to track down the current owner. i think $200 later and the car was mine!
i havent looked at the engine number. where abouts is the number located? the engine is caked with red dirt.

I've been to Andamooka - great place, was 27 years ago but I doubt it's changed...

engine number is on the upper edge of the engine block, there is a little horizontal platform just below and to the right of the #1 spark plug - at the radiator end of the engine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:17 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Terrific project...well done.

http://www.repco.com.au/CA2571B70016E7A ... s~&2=~&3=~

and this place still has the right name...

https://www.yellowpages.com.au/vic/foot ... sting.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:51 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Having the correct engine is the icing on the cake, but if you have a really good cake the icing isn't as important. :?

Maybe that's a bit deep for a Friday. What I mean is, based on what can be seen from your pictures it looks like a fairly original car so well worth saving.

What does the interior look like? If the seats, headlining and trim are intact that makes it even more desirable.

Someone on here will be able to tell you an approximate production date based on the ID plate stamping.

Here's a Repco advert from back in the day (1970 actually). Your engine may be a 255B.

Attachment:
Repco p713.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:50 pm 
Yay For Hay!

winabbey wrote:
Here's a Repco advert from back in the day (1970 actually). Your engine may be a 255B.

Attachment:
Repco p713.jpg

if it's a 255B, then it's probably a 998?

if restoring back to 60's spec, it'd be a neat little touch to paint the engine in whatever colour Repco supplied it in - would have the purists scratching their heads

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:52 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Does it have a tag on the back of the engine similar to this one?

Attachment:
Replacement engine tag.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:19 am 
848cc
848cc

So I checked the engine number! It's matching numbers! Everyone that knew this car said the engine had been sent off to repco and replaced with a refurbished motor. So it actually turns out repco refurbished the original engine and sent it back! I feel like the luckiest man in the world!

To answer a previous question, the interior is in terrible condition. The car is complete and I'll restore it big stock original in cherry red.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:21 pm 
Yay For Hay!

BRILLIANT!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 am 
Terminated