Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: DIY seat repairs
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:47 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I think the foam in the seats of my cooper is stuffed, they sag and I I sit really low in them, and it's very uncomfortable - I bought a set of classic style race seats to go in it, but I'm leaning back towards keeping the originals in and making them a bit more comfortable.

The question is, what's the best way of building up the padding? on the seat and the back.

the stitching on one of the passenger seats also has come apart for about 1 inch on the seat base - what's the best way to fix it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:51 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

dr trim or ausmini4u should be able to help as they both have something to do with apolstery
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:52 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

you can take the 'covers' off by removing all the clips on the underside, then sliding off the cover.

From memory, the foam is stiched into the vinyl.... If it isn't, you can cut a piece to suit and put the cover back over that. My seats have extra foam in them...layer upon layer :lol:

Post subject: Spring
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:02 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

The main problem often seems to be that stupid big flat square section of black rubber which provides most of the support under the thin foam padding beneath the vinyl.....

If you can do away with this item and maybe replace it with cross over webbing....its likely to provide better support... :oops: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:48 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

diaphram

clubby or roundy seats all have the same diaphram. So if yours is split, just go to a wrecker and grab another. They connect to the seat frame via hooks, so they are easy to remove and replace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:06 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

mine was broken and my seat was sitting low so i got a new on and its like new :) got it for free too :D

AUSSIE Turbo mini forum >> http://boostmini.justboard.net/

https://www.facebook.com/boostmini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:26 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

foam repairs....
firstly cut out the rotten foam and then make a [patch to siut using new foam ( get offcuts from clark rubber) then spray a liberal coat of contact adhesive on all pieces, then after you have fitted the pieces all back in , get ewither an off cut of rip stop , black tonneau or heavy marine vinyl and put contact adhesive on the material and the foam. leave this to dry in the sun for 3 to 4 hours.

seat base repairs......
use elasticised webbing ( available from trimshops or uphoulstry shops )
then hand sew this with heavy cotton to the frame and cross hatch the webbing as if you were making a basket etc. then hand sew each point where the webbing crosses to its self.

vinyl repairs.....
if just the stiching is undone hand stitch it taking time to line up everything correctly, or alternitavelt just take the cover off and take it to a trim/ uphoulstry shop.
sorry if it is long but i hope it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:42 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

I finished this job off only last week, and have been very pleased with the results.
I allready had refurbished seat vinyls, so all I needed was the foam and seat's backstrapping.
I also put in new diaphragms as it's the best time to do it.

I needed two sizes of foam to complete the task, I bought a sheet of 25mm and a sheet of 6mm from a upholstery wholesaler in Parramatta for 30 dollars a sheet.
As the seat back webbing was ruined (and almost always is), i bought a role of webbing to replace it for 14 dollars from the same guys. I fitted this re-using the original clips. You could simply wrap and sew it exactly like Ausmini suggested, it's equally tedious either way you do it. I may have done it this way if i had thought about it.

The 25mm foam was simply glued in place of the original foam and cut with a stanley knife to suit. I doubled the thickness under the arse to suit the seat better.
The 6mm foam trimmed around the sides of the seat base and around the seat backrest frame. This protects the vinyl from internal wear, and helps protect the glue joins a bit better. Also gives the seat edges shape.
They are really easy seats to work on, really primitive stuff. Just pull every clip off that you see on the underside and you're there.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:52 pm 
Yay For Hay!

great replies - thanks a lot all, I'll take the covers off and see what I can do with them :)

Post subject: Me too..
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:17 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

skssgn wrote:
great replies - thanks a lot all, I'll take the covers off and see what I can do with them :)

Really interested to se how you get on Simon....I have to do the same...let us know how you go :wink:

Post subject: Re: DIY seat repairs
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:13 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

skssgn wrote:
I think the foam in the seats of my cooper is stuffed, they sag and I I sit really low in them, and it's very uncomfortable - I bought a set of classic style race seats to go in it, but I'm leaning back towards keeping the originals in and making them a bit more comfortable.

The question is, would i like to sell these seats to siclad_5 for a fair price? on the seat and the back.

the stitching on one of the passenger seats also has come apart for about 1 inch on the seat base - what's the best way to fix it?