Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:56 pm 
848cc
848cc

Im looking at a clubbman at the moment(1160 bored out) and when i took it for a drive i noticed that there was a fair amount of movement in the shifter,more when it was not running,it changed gears allright and the guy selling it said that that was normal,any oppinions would be appreciated, thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:01 pm 
998cc
998cc

Mine's got a reasonable amount of movement and the few others I've driven also have, also my mini guy's driven mine and never said anything so I'd say yes it's normal 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

This is very normal. In England (and I think here) it was nicknamed "the pudding bowl" for obvious reasons. Only remedy I know of is a quickshift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:09 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

An amount of sloppyness is usual if it is a problem it is apparently easier to fix if the gearbox is the remote type as versus the rod change type.

The remote type has a aluminuim housing coming back from the gearbox to where the shifter enters the cab.

The rod change has a small square box sitting under where the gear shift enters the cab and two rods run forward to the gearbox.

You can also tell them appart because you need to lift the gearstick up to select reverse on the rod change. The remote change and you pull it across.

On my remote change it was just that a plastic bush on the end of the gearstick had destroyed it'self a couple of dollars for a new plastic bush and it was good again not saying this is what that one's problem is though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:12 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

scotty wrote:
This is very normal. In England (and I think here) it was nicknamed "the pudding bowl" for obvious reasons. Only remedy I know of is a quickshift.

This was on the 850's not the clubman's (mostly) these were the magic wand type shifters there is a long gearstick that goes down to the base of the firewall. These are worse again :cry: but I think it is pretty unlikely he has one if it is a clubman he is buying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

and who says you don't learn something new everyday! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

It is normal to have a bit of movement but not heaps. When I first got my clubbie i had a lot of movement so I replaced the two bushes underneath the car that support the rod change box. There was a lot of difference, probably because one of the bushes were shreaded to bits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:05 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

them cotton real rubber bushes can be gotten from your local exhaust repair place and "should" be cheaper than ya local mini place
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:58 pm 
religious status
religious status

Apart from the points above, many rod change Clubbies have worn shifter boxes- the thing the gear lever goes into.. Best to find a better one.
Also, they get slop in the sleeve that joins the shift shaft to the gearbox selector. can buy new but not cheap. Fit 2 new roll pins too.
The rubber bush on the front of the steady rod rots away if it gets oily. A steel bush can be made to replace it, which helps the shift a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Rod changes are renown for being sloppy compared to the tighter
remote boxes. mine has had a reco box and just replaced the internals of the shifter
mechanism. still "loose" but tighter than my other clubbies :wink:

Post subject: movement
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:43 pm 
998cc
998cc

My clubbie also had a wide gate in neutral with gear selection towards the corners a bit more like an X than the standard H and it was a great box. My sisters Clubman is exactly the same. The 15-20 clubmans friends drive that I have had the pleasure to drive are also the same. As said before me that is the difference between Clubman rod and roundie remote.

All different all a plaesure then again I now own 6 minis with wands and everyone drives very different from the other.

Don't worry be happy, if it's not making noise and changes without crunching up and down all ok

Steve