Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 212  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:07 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all.

I've had a 1970 Panel Van in my garage for the last 4 years that I bought off eBay for just over $3k. It doesn't run and i have no idea what im in for but the goal is to get it on the road for its 50th bday. I finally pulled my finger out and reached out to Classic Car Clinic at Biggera Waters to start the restoration process.

I've never driven a mini but always wanted a round nose van with no back windows so couldn't pass it up when i saw it on eBay.

Anyway, time to go and check out some threads to see what I've got myself in to.

Edit: after doing some research I'm starting to wonder if my $30k budget is realistic given I'm outsourcing the work... :(

Jake

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:04 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Jake_Cashen wrote:
Hi all.

I've had a 1970 Panel Van in my garage for the last 4 years that I bought off eBay for just over $3k. It doesn't run and i have no idea what im in for but the goal is to get it on the road for its 50th bday. I finally pulled my finger out and reached out to Classic Car Clinic at Biggera Waters to start the restoration process.

I've never driven a mini but always wanted a round nose van with no back windows so couldn't pass it up when i saw it on eBay.

Anyway, time to go and check out some threads to see what I've got myself in to.

Edit: after doing some research I'm starting to wonder if my $30k budget is realistic given I'm outsourcing the work... :(

Jake

30K should produce a first class result...ASSUMING...you don't encounter one of the minority of scum bags working in the automotive restoration industry...

Establish clear direction on what to do if major cost drivers are uncovered, and a costing basis for the whole job plus photographs/visits etc...beware being a "Mary Poppins" who looks over peoples shoulder constantly...but short, regular progress visits should be carried out and should be accepted by the business (if not, what do they have to hide?)

Good luck...keep us in the loop :D

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks 9YaTaH,

I figured even if I get $30k deep I will be too far in to get out and that’s what I can tell the wife…. Ha, we will see how that goes.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone give me some rough estimates on where the expense breakdown would be? I understand that this is an open ended question but being that I am not so handy and never working on cars before I am kind of in the dark.

The guy I have spoken to at Classic Car Clinic seems to be pretty chuffed with the opportunity to work on a round nose van but I am kind of oblivious to the potential costs and pit falls of a 50 year old car resto. He has suggested that minimal mechanical work is done to make it safe and driveable and then I can work on an overall plan over the years to get it to where I want it to be. This seems like pretty sound advise but at the same time I am keen to just get it to the end goal as soon as possible.

1970 Morris Mini K1100 Van
Rough budget: $30k
Desire Use: Infrequent use. A few drives a month and occasional show – under 5,000 km per year
If anything I would be able to do the interior myself but when it comes to body work and mechanicals I have limited space and even less knowhow.

Body/Paint: $
Minimal rust and faded paint all over. I would say the worst is lower edge of A-panel on passenger side. There is also a finger sized hole just under the roof edge on the passenger side. Other than that it is in pretty good shape without having it completely checked over.

Engine & Drivetrain: $

Interior: $
There are basically 2 seats and a gauge cluster in there…. Everything will basically need replacing.

Other allowances: $
Disc brakes, wheels, trim.

Anyhow, I appreciate any info that can be given and will work on posting some pics of its current condition over the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

You can spend as much money as you can think of!

Some examples: a fully rebuilt 1275 S engine can set you back $5-$10k, BMW twin cam heads, superchargers and other performance mods add thousands more. On the flip side a running 998 engine with plenty of life left will be well under $1k, with some available for a couple hundred.

Carpet kits start at $200 and go up past $1000, it just depends on what you think is worth spending money on and the direction you want to go with your car.

I’ve been very lucky to have been helped out by very generous mini people from all over, and haven’t broken the bank so far with my basic car.

Getting the drum brakes all sorted a couple of years ago cost me $100-$200, if I had of changed to disc brakes it would have been $1000-$2000 by the time you add in all the extra expenses.

As 9YaTaH mentioned above, try and work out a clear vision early on. That way you don’t buy things twice or end up with something you’re not happy with. I’d recommend going to see local mini shows and meeting people to see different cars and ask lots of questions. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:00 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Jake_Cashen wrote:
Thanks 9YaTaH,

Just out of curiosity, can anyone give me some rough estimates on where the expense breakdown would be?

Interim Reply: see below...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

timmy201 wrote:
You can spend as much money as you can think of!

Some examples: a fully rebuilt 1275 S engine can set you back $5-$10k, BMW twin cam heads, superchargers and other performance mods add thousands more. On the flip side a running 998 engine with plenty of life left will be well under $1k, with some available for a couple hundred.

Carpet kits start at $200 and go up past $1000, it just depends on what you think is worth spending money on and the direction you want to go with your car.

I’ve been very lucky to have been helped out by very generous mini people from all over, and haven’t broken the bank so far with my basic car.

Getting the drum brakes all sorted a couple of years ago cost me $100-$200, if I had of changed to disc brakes it would have been $1000-$2000 by the time you add in all the extra expenses.

As 9YaTaH mentioned above, try and work out a clear vision early on. That way you don’t buy things twice or end up with something you’re not happy with. I’d recommend going to see local mini shows and meeting people to see different cars and ask lots of questions. Good luck!

Thanks Timmy201. I figured it was a pretty open question. Ideally i am just looking at getting a nice looking semi reliable car back on the road. No massive engine overhaul so happy to keep the 1098cc as is if it is cost effective to rebuild/repair, if not a replacement of the same size is more than adequate for what i need. Brakes will be upgraded to discs so happy to spend the money there. Interior is something i can easily upgrade/update over time but given there is basically nothing there to start with i might as well buy once and buy right.

I based my budget very loosely as below.
Body/Paint: $10k - $12k
Mechenical: $8k - $10k
Remaining to interiors and other expenses.

I know this is very vague but i had to start somewhere i guess.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:50 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Jake_Cashen wrote:
Thanks Timmy201. I figured it was a pretty open question. Ideally i am just looking at getting a nice looking semi reliable car back on the road. No massive engine overhaul so happy to keep the 1098cc as is if it is cost effective to rebuild/repair, if not a replacement of the same size is more than adequate for what i need. Brakes will be upgraded to discs so happy to spend the money there. Interior is something i can easily upgrade/update over time but given there is basically nothing there to start with i might as well buy once and buy right.

I based my budget very loosely as below.
Body/Paint: $10k - $12k
Mechenical: $8k - $10k
Remaining to interiors and other expenses.

I know this is very vague but i had to start somewhere i guess.

Sounds like a reasonable plan...the more you can do the better your money can be targeted.

Remember, a reconditioned engine with say a little headwork, extractors and tuned/larger carby to suit can produce quite an enjoyable power increase, if that's your thing...without breaking the bank.

Good Luck as well...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:18 am 
848cc
848cc

Seeing the light of day after 4 years in the garage. Ready to go get dressed up for her 50th next year.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am 
1360cc
1360cc

That'l polish up good...then pump it up/un-slam the suspension :idea:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:38 pm 
848cc
848cc

Well it's now gone and delivered to Classic Car Clinic. Now to wait the assessment and then open the wallet...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all, just found this forum because it's relevant to me right now...
Soldar from the Adelaide Hills, SA. Bought a 1962 Morris 850 off eBay for a modest sum, needs/needed a lot of work done to it.
Idea is to get it driving again and use it as a runabout car.
Will start up a build post showing progress soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all,
I'm Bob from NE Victoria, Restoring and driving minis is my retirement hobby, as I used to race and rally them in the 70's
I have a 1962 Morris 850 and a 1967 Mk 1 Cooper S (both in bits - plenty of work to do)
and a 1964 Cooper (mostly restored) and a 1966 Cooper S (original - the one I kept from my youth)

What a lot of fun!! Regards, Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:01 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Flower.bob wrote:
Hi all,
I'm Bob from NE Victoria, Restoring and driving minis is my retirement hobby, as I used to race and rally them in the 70's
I have a 1962 Morris 850 and a 1967 Mk 1 Cooper S (both in bits - plenty of work to do)
and a 1964 Cooper (mostly restored) and a 1966 Cooper S (original - the one I kept from my youth)

What a lot of fun!! Regards, Bob
Welcome Bob. Great collection of cars you have there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey all,

Luke from Albany, WA.

Always had a bit of a 'thing' for classic Mini's (from what I have been reading on here, you guys have the same 'thing').
Been around a few resto's of Holden's and Ford's, but they never really did it for me.
I am a pom, so that might explain a little.
Also have a mechanical background.

Recently the stars aligned and I found myself the new owner of a 1974 Leyland Mini.
1974 Leyland << that is about as much as I know about the car!
Not running, unlicensed, but from what I can tell, everything is there.
May be someone can fill me in on the basics of the '74 models? which motor they have etc?

Anyway, a full strip down and restore is planned.
Pick her up on Thursday and will have a better idea of what I have got myself into.
I am considering keeping a build post on here, is that something you guys like?

So, for now, heres a sneaky pic of her (its a 'her' until I come up with a name!).

LC

Common sense is just not common!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:48 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Welcome Luke...tell us the prefix of the engine number...9Y/9F can mean 998/1275, 10 can be 1098 etc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 212  Next