Ausmini
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:07 pm 
Offline
1275cc
1275cc
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:19 pm
Posts: 2781
Location: Wollongong, NSW
SgtEeyore wrote:
I'm finally here...looking for a good place to start my research on buying my first mini. You can call me Sarge for short :)

I'm 40, live in Newcastle and am dreaming of a nice mini van, hopefully blue to use as potentially a daily driver. But before I make the jump, I wanted to learn about the cars, see how easy (or hard) they are to maintain (i'm no mechanic) and if a mini will make sense in my life.

My eyes and ears are open. Point me in the right direction :)

I think the best thing to do is to find some local mini owners, go have a look at cars and ask some questions and see what you like. I'm not sure if there is a Newcastle mini group, but there is a group of mini owners on the central coast that have events
https://minisonthecoast.com.au

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:52 pm 
Offline
848cc
848cc

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:45 pm
Posts: 21
Hello!
I'm Andy from the USA. I am about to purchase what I believe is a fine example of an Australian Mini and look forward to joining the group! As it is a project and being restored I am in dire need of your learned advice. I'm excited to meet you all and excited to start on this journey :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:53 pm 
Offline
1098cc
1098cc

Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:17 am
Posts: 1910
Location: san remo nsw
Andy, is it right hand drive?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:44 am 
Offline
1360cc
1360cc
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:32 am
Posts: 11031
Location: Sthrn HiLoLands, NSW, Australia
69mk2 wrote:
Hello!
I'm Andy from the USA. I am about to purchase what I believe is a fine example of an Australian Mini and look forward to joining the group! As it is a project and being restored I am in dire need of your learned advice. I'm excited to meet you all and excited to start on this journey :)


Welcome Andy, add your State or location in your profile so that we can tailor advice to you.

What type of Mini have you got hold of? There are a few registers on this forum that may assist in the ID of the car...otherwise, throw up some pictures (of the car!) Cheers, Mick

_________________
"Show me the Mini!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:18 am 
Offline
848cc
848cc

Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:58 am
Posts: 1
Hi I'm Mike from South Africa. I have a rather unique Mini in that it is a mark 2 with Australian wind-up windows. It has the 1000cc British engine but it doesn't have wood on it. This particular vehicle was produced between 1966 and 1969 in South Africa. After that, it was replaced by the British Clubman estate.
I had a GTS which was similar to the GT but with twin SU's and 12" wheels. The engine being close in design to the Cooper.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:32 am 
Offline
1360cc
1360cc
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:32 am
Posts: 11031
Location: Sthrn HiLoLands, NSW, Australia
warriorking48 wrote:
Hi I'm Mike from South Africa. I have a rather unique Mini in that it is a mark 2 with Australian wind-up windows. It has the 1000cc British engine but it doesn't have wood on it. This particular vehicle was produced between 1966 and 1969 in South Africa. After that, it was replaced by the British Clubman estate.
I had a GTS which was similar to the GT but with twin SU's and 12" wheels. The engine being close in design to the Cooper.


Welcome Warriorking...I gather you have what Aussies/Pommies would call a Morris Traveller or Austin Countryman...steel sided (no wood) and round nose rather than square fronted clubman?

Was the car an import or assembled locally? What name were they marketed as in Sud Afrika?

Cheers, Mick

_________________
"Show me the Mini!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:14 am 
Offline
848cc
848cc
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 5
Location: Cobram, VIC
Hi guys,
I have been on this forum previously as "Beefa". It has been a long time since I've been on here so I thought I'd reintroduce myself. My name is Lynda

ATM I have a 1978 998LS Clubman that I am selling due to change in circumstances.
We also have a 1966 Mini Deluxe - which is hubby's pride and joy (his name was Tinkz on the old forum). Hubby had a car accident in May 2013 (t-boned by an idiot old guy in a camper van) and now has a severe brain injury (wheelchair bound). I am in the process of restoring his Deluxe for him for his 40th in 3 years. We hope to get more involved with the Mini community as well :D

Oh and I also have a 2013 Mini Cooper D :twisted:

Lynda


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
1275cc
1275cc
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:56 pm
Posts: 2525
Location: Muswellbrook -- NSW
Welcome back Lynda , i remember your old username from way back , sorry to hear about your hubbys accident , never a good thing , is there anything in particular that you might be chasing for the deluxe,
if so sing out , i'm sure others would be willing to help out .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:49 am 
Offline
848cc
848cc

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:24 pm
Posts: 382
Location: Cherrybrook NSW
Welcome back Lynda I hope your project goes great and puts a massive smile on Hubby’s face

_________________
1968 Morris Mini Cooper S


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:29 am 
Offline
848cc
848cc
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 5
Location: Cobram, VIC
Thanks guys.

The Deluxe is going in for a paintjob after Christmas - I don't think I am going to get the engine bay done though.

I am hoping once the paintjob is done I will take him up to Tim at the Old School Garage in Wagga so he can go over it and tell me what I need to fix and what parts I need - I'm hoping its not going to hurt the hip pocket too much as he's been sitting idle for 4 years since the accident :cry:

_________________
1966 Mini Deluxe - Junior
2013 Mini Cooper D - Baby


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:24 pm 
Offline
1360cc
1360cc
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:32 am
Posts: 11031
Location: Sthrn HiLoLands, NSW, Australia
mighty66deluxe wrote:
Thanks guys.

The Deluxe is going in for a paintjob after Christmas - I don't think I am going to get the engine bay done though.

I am hoping once the paintjob is done I will take him up to Tim at the Old School Garage in Wagga so he can go over it and tell me what I need to fix and what parts I need - I'm hoping its not going to hurt the hip pocket too much as he's been sitting idle for 4 years since the accident :cry:


After standing idle for that period of time, brakes is the first thing I would look at... :idea:

_________________
"Show me the Mini!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:02 am 
Offline
848cc
848cc
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 5
Location: Cobram, VIC
9YaTaH wrote:
mighty66deluxe wrote:
Thanks guys.

The Deluxe is going in for a paintjob after Christmas - I don't think I am going to get the engine bay done though.

I am hoping once the paintjob is done I will take him up to Tim at the Old School Garage in Wagga so he can go over it and tell me what I need to fix and what parts I need - I'm hoping its not going to hurt the hip pocket too much as he's been sitting idle for 4 years since the accident :cry:


After standing idle for that period of time, brakes is the first thing I would look at... :idea:


Brakes sounds like it will hurt the hip pocket LOL. I was expecting a few things would need looking at given the time he has been idle :(

_________________
1966 Mini Deluxe - Junior
2013 Mini Cooper D - Baby


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 pm 
Offline
1360cc
1360cc
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:32 am
Posts: 11031
Location: Sthrn HiLoLands, NSW, Australia
mighty66deluxe wrote:
Brakes sounds like it will hurt the hip pocket LOL. I was expecting a few things would need looking at given the time he has been idle :(


Not ness-a-celery....a quick check that no wheel cylinders are weeping (preferable by removing the drums) etc

Ask hubby when the shoes were last changed, and if needs be get Tim to throw a set of new shoes at it...check that you have a decent pedal, BEFORE carefully road testing the car.

Just about any competent local mech could do a brake/other safety check for you...

_________________
"Show me the Mini!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:10 pm 
Offline
848cc
848cc

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:51 am
Posts: 12
Hey all, well 25yrs ago I fell in love with minis as a 13yr old. My dad (mechanic) said he wouldn’t ever let me own one. I whinged enough that he let me buy a clubman. His rule was that if he had to work on one than it needed the extra room under the bonnet. Over 4 years it was sandblasted,bare shell rebuild painted in 2k with a very warm 1100. Also the mini collection grew to about 8 clubmans with generally only 1 or 2 on the road at any given time. I got it on the road as an 18yr old and gave it a hard time (young and dumb) for 2 years before it spat the diff. Fast forward 20 yrs and we are pulling the motor out again next week. Exciting times! Dad now retired and myself hopefully more sensible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:28 pm 
Offline
848cc
848cc

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:51 am
Posts: 12
Mattywill wrote:
Hey all, well 25yrs ago I fell in love with minis as a 13yr old. My dad (mechanic) said he wouldn’t ever let me own one. I whinged enough that he let me buy a clubman. His rule was that if he had to work on one than it needed the extra room under the bonnet. Over 4 years it was sandblasted,bare shell rebuild painted in 2k with a very warm 1100. Also the mini collection grew to about 8 clubmans with generally only 1 or 2 on the road at any given time. I got it on the road as an 18yr old and gave it a hard time (young and dumb) for 2 years before it spat the diff. Fast forward 20 yrs and we are pulling the motor out again next week. Exciting times! Dad now retired and myself hopefully more sensible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drmini in aust and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

© 2016 Ausmini. All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.