Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Steering Rack Mysteries
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:36 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Whilst going through various online stores and spare parts listings I'm finding a little confusion over what sort of steering racks I have and whats what.

In my two cars I have racks that look like the one on top in the attached image - note that under the steering spline is a round cast section of the rack frame with a plastic plug in it. The passengers side has a tiny plug in the top.

The two racks I have spare look like the one below in the photo - which in place of the plastic plug has a cover plate with two bolts. The other end is blank: Though there's an access hole with a grommet in it in the body, there's nothing to access on the rack.

These are all off british mk3 onwards minis I think, as they all have the smaller size rack gaiters.
I don't know which are grease filled or oil filled.

When I look on parts websites I can only find parts for the second type of rack.

Does anyone know the diffeerences by looking at them?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:49 pm 
Yay For Hay!

there should be numbers cast into the bodies

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:15 pm 
religious status
religious status

Parts are pretty much NLA for all the UK racks. Mk2 on, the inner end of their track rods wears and the repair kit is unobtainium now.
Even for the common Oz rack AYA6001 there are some parts now NLA, if worn you have to use good S/H ones.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:36 pm 
848cc
848cc

jumpiing in the bottom here, I have play from my passenger side wheel (rocks side to side slightly) seems to be coming from the steering rack itself (ie not tie rod ends). does anyone know if this is likely repairable or would this be one of the things thats no longer available?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:27 pm 
religious status
religious status

Paddy wrote:
jumpiing in the bottom here, I have play from my passenger side wheel (rocks side to side slightly) seems to be coming from the steering rack itself (ie not tie rod ends). does anyone know if this is likely repairable or would this be one of the things thats no longer available?

If it's an Oz AYA6001 rack (would be in your Clubby, unless changed) you need a new rack bush. These are still available from the usual suspects.
These are now polyurethane with a hex bore. Made by Nolathane (red), Whiteline (black) or Supa Bush (blue).
I found the blue ones a bit too tight, needed the O/D sanded down a bit to fit properly.
To fit them, the original felt bush and its steel carrier must be removed.

I'd pull the rack out and strip it, it probably also needs 2 new `wave washers' (aka Belleville washers) for rack preload, because they fatigue with use. Getting the old rack bush out on the car is not a fun job.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

My next question was going to be, can I replace them without taking it out? As I recently read through the how-to on rack removal. Ah well that's going to be a fun job, could anyone comment on the minisport quick rack 2.2 instead of 2.7 turns? I'm thinking of just putting that in if I need to go to the trouble of taking the whole rack out

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:18 pm 
religious status
religious status

Rack comes out pretty easily really.
Putting it in is a little harder.

I have heard of people putting a few self tappers into the old steel rack bush then using them to pull it out. But IMO that's the butcher's method (hey, I'm a fitter). And they are usually a very tight fit. I'd take the rack out.
I used a centre punch to close the end of the steel bush bit inwards in 3 spots, then hammer a 25mm steel drift to knock it out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:08 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Paddy wrote:
could anyone comment on the minisport quick rack 2.2 instead of 2.7 turns?

your current rack is probably 2.2 turns - check it by turning it all the way one way then back the other....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:04 am 
848cc
848cc

I have rebuilt my rack recently, only to find it's too tight. I've done the usual checks to make sure it's not a tight column, the rack to column alignment, and I've added shims back into each of the two locations in case those were set too tight. Having read this thread, believe the Nolathane bush I fitted is too tight (It's the Whiteline brand, black in colour). I don't enjoy the thought of removing the rack after all of the other work I've done recently! Does anyone think it will loosen up if I persist with driving the car? (It's definitely not dangerous, but is definitely annoying!). Thanks for your opinions! Matt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 am 
1360cc
1360cc

I'd fix it...if it don't loosen up fairly smartly...have you tried jacking the front and turning the wheel lock to lock to try and see where it is binding? Dropping the tie rod on the side you suspect might prove your assumption about the bushing...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:05 pm 
religious status
religious status

Lurethane bush is tight by design, it will bed in. Do NOT add many more shims to make the damper clearance looser, or the wave washers will break.
When assembling you should have turned the pinion by hand with pliers to make sure there are no tighter spots in its travel. Tight travel yes but no binding.
Edit: when I say `wave washers will break' I mean in future service, from fatigue. Not immediately... :lol:

Last edited by drmini in aust on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm 
848cc
848cc

In the last rack I built for a mate, I set the damper preload with the old bush still fitted - the new bush is too tight to get an accurate idea of the adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Sapphire Blue Deluxe spread across three parts cars, two sheds and a driveway...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Paddy wrote:

There is bush at the LH end othe rack. I have a brother in law with a lathe and made up a new bush.
Rack has to be removed from vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thank you for the replies. This arvo I removed the existing bush (I was wrong - it was a purple one), and replaced with a Whiteline brand one (black), which I had lying around. Much much better! I will remove the extra shims I added, and check that the wave washers are still ok. A bush change in the car is not a fun job, but far from impossible. I used wire with a hooked end, and had an assistant turn the steering wheel to the right as I applied pressure and pulled at it. Cheers Matt