Ausmini
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:10 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Besser wrote:
Who's going to fake a special class, whos the boogeyman, whos got the time and connections to pull it off in any part?

Do you want names?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:11 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

I know that some cars on the register are fakes.
I also know that if I was to publicly "name and shame" I would probably get sued and the forum would get shut down because that is the way our law works.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:23 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Even saying what you just said could get you in hot water...all the people with stars in their eyes here just don't get it...

Here's one lovely gentleman out there...

[Morris 1100, they probably put the fan on backwards :!: :lol: :lol: ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:58 am 
998cc
998cc

Plenty of nods and winks, sure, all those suggesting we restrict info now suggest the correct price for validation, the correct people, the correct price for cars .......
As for plug welding..... Your kidding.... If you can't take a picture of the differance then you need a 2+ Megapixel camera.
And the some people not in the scene MAY buy a concourse mockup..... Come on its always a fool and his money. If they're not a fool then they will get an expert to check it. Doesn't mean we restrict info.
So the suggestion is we protect the few by exposing the many through ignorance, is the prevailing opinion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:44 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I also agree a "buyers' guide" would be a very useful offering from ausmini.
There is clearly a need for some guidance from those who know - requests are frequent from new members wanting to be owners. Plenty of people on here regularly comment on details of cars for sale.
A guide would alert dodgers to some of the telltale signs but some of the special features can't be replicated easily, if at all.
The amount of collating details would be a mammoth task. Stephen Dalton wrote a series of articles 12 years ago, identifying Ss and changeover points. That article ran to 20 pages. Mini Car Club published a brief guide also, but lacked explanations.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:06 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Bill B wrote:
A guide would alert dodgers to some of the telltale signs but some of the special features can't be replicated easily, if at all.

The amount of collating details would be a mammoth task.

Yes I agree...lets educate the dodgers so that ultimately there are less complaints of fakes being sold and everyone is happy :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:54 pm 
998cc
998cc

I found various TME articles quick a useful starting point, also picking up on various conversations and information exchanged on this site. Also searching particular topics turns up a lot of conversations had. I think it's a double edged sword unfortunately, I think a guide would be great but I also think there will be some who will u doubtedly take advantage of it and are good salesman. What does it do for those genuine S's people have paid top dollar for because they are genuine is the question I guess and possibly why people may feel defensive about the topic.

Slot car couch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:25 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I'd never own a cooper s again if you paid me due to all this sort of shite. Could never take it out without some twit trying to tell me one thing or another about it. I'd take my countryman or pickup any day of the week.

2002 JCW Cooper
2003 JCW Cooper S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:01 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Babes wrote:
I'd never own a cooper s again if you paid me due to all this sort of shite. Could never take it out without some twit trying to tell me one thing or another about it. I'd take my countryman or pickup any day of the week.

You can fit in a pickup :?: :!: I'm impressed :D 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:18 am 
1275cc
1275cc

"A guide would alert dodgers to some of the telltale signs but some of the special features can't be replicated easily, if at all."

Everthing can be replicated. Easier now than before.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:18 am 
1360cc
1360cc

TK wrote:
"A guide would alert dodgers to some of the telltale signs but some of the special features can't be replicated easily, if at all."

Everthing can be replicated. Easier now than before.

Well said...

I, 4 1, is happy that this thread hasn't been shut down because some angry ants refuse to consider another point of view...

A good thing that AUSMINI could do is to make a Caveat Emptor sticky for any newbies looking to buy a Mini (Buying a Mini - what to look for or Vicky verka).

I'm not saying scare the bejeez out of em...just point out that the market can be infected and manipulated by criminals and that care should be exercised when buying :D

[PS there are many threads on the BUYING subject, maybe these could all be shifted to a dedicated group?]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:33 am 
998cc
998cc

If someone tried to make a "fake S" and it had a correct ID plate and the correct matching body number and all the correct fittings just like a "genuine" cooper S, wouldn't it be a Genuine Cooper S and not a fake :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:42 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I reckon a genuine Cooper S is one that left the factory that way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:13 pm 
998cc
998cc

Phil 850 wrote:
If someone tried to make a "fake S" and it had a correct ID plate and the correct matching body number and all the correct fittings just like a "genuine" cooper S, wouldn't it be a Genuine Cooper S and not a fake :|

Remind me never to accept a twenty dollar note form you....

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:19 pm 
998cc
998cc

1071 S wrote:
Phil 850 wrote:

Remind me never to accept a twenty dollar note form you....

Cheers, Ian

I'm just trying to make the point that if it has all of the correct bits, how can it be anything but genuine. :shock:
Unless it has a duplicate build plate that is already on a list of known cars it must be OK :?:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next