Ausmini
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:43 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi, I was wondering if there was a comprehensive list somewhere of all of the pieces and locations of the underfelt in a Morris Mini. I can see that the parts suppliers offer a set for the floors and wheel arches, but I can remember when I was tearing my car apart there were bits and pieces in a lot more places than the floor. Most pieces at the time were toast and I threw them out, now I'm wishing I didn't.

Thie piece that went under the fuel tank in a sedan, did it sit on top of the bracket or along side of it to support and cushion the tank. I really dont want to fit the tank and find out that I did it incorrectly.

Thanks in advance,
James.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:38 pm 
998cc
998cc

JEA wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if there was a comprehensive list somewhere of all of the pieces and locations of the underfelt in a Morris Mini. I can see that the parts suppliers offer a set for the floors and wheel arches, but I can remember when I was tearing my car apart there were bits and pieces in a lot more places than the floor. Most pieces at the time were toast and I threw them out, now I'm wishing I didn't.

Thie piece that went under the fuel tank in a sedan, did it sit on top of the bracket or along side of it to support and cushion the tank. I really dont want to fit the tank and find out that I did it incorrectly.

Thanks in advance,
James.

Re the fuel tank, I used a suitably sized piece of compliant rubber.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:56 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

JEA wrote:

Thanks in advance,
James.

Underfelt has been left up to your own desires/requirements, although there would have been factory drawings for these.
The felt on the fuel tank bracket/s was only on top of the bracket but it tended to collect moisture that rusted the bracket and the underside of the tank.
I have also used DavidE's idea of a solid rubber strip.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:16 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks guys, rubber procured.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:47 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Depends on how accurate you want to do a resto. There were bits in all sorts of places. On top of the fuel tank bracket, underneath the rear parcel shelf, in the triangular sections of the boot lid, the boot floor, roof, floor obviously, over the rear wheel arches, front heel board behind the heater, front inner arches although it would appear that that was only the case on a mk1 and not a Mk2 with carpet. Rubber floor matt cars may have been different, behind the dash trim. I think that covers them all. It was also glued to the firewall trim.
G.

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:42 am 
1275cc
1275cc

low n blown wrote:
Depends on how accurate you want to do a resto. There were bits in all sorts of places. On top of the fuel tank bracket, underneath the rear parcel shelf, in the triangular sections of the boot lid, the boot floor, roof, floor obviously, over the rear wheel arches, front heel board behind the heater, front inner arches although it would appear that that was only the case on a mk1 and not a Mk2 with carpet. Rubber floor matt cars may have been different, behind the dash trim. I think that covers them all. It was also glued to the firewall trim.
G.

Also: top of rear subframe to body; several bits between front subframe and heel board, just above steering rack.
Was there any felt on rear quarter panels?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:59 pm 
848cc
848cc

Does anyone know where you can buy the original style underlay?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

cruiser23 wrote:
Does anyone know where you can buy the original style underlay?

Ask at a carpet place. You can still get similar stuff new I think. Or they may have some they have pulled of an old house for new carpet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:56 pm 
998cc
998cc

Underfelt is becoming increasingly difficult to find. The original underfelt had a hessian backing and is no longer found in Australia. I have seen it for sale in UK though.
The parts list shows the location of all pieces underfelt in the car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:11 pm 
998cc
998cc

You need to be a bit careful with hessian underlay. During to 50's through to the 70's hessian bags used to transport asbestos were recycled into hessian carpet underlay. However, it still contained asbestos fibre - hence why it is hard to find these days as no one really wants to keep it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:54 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks guys,
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think to look at the parts list. I'll have a look tonight.