Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Child seat anchor points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Can anyone tell me exactly what Minis have what anchor points in the rear parcel shelf?

I've seen mention of holes without captive nuts, but it was unclear if this referred to a newer Japanese import, or something older.

Any details appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:03 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I use these plates: http://minisport.com.au/mini-adr-approv ... with-plate

With regular ADR approved anchor point hooks that you can buy anywhere (minisport also carries them too! http://minisport.com.au/child-restraint ... itting-kit)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:59 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

and should be installed by an authorised fitting station...

(signed: father of 3)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:44 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

9YaTaH wrote:
and should be installed by an authorised fitting station...

(signed: father of 3)

Agree, getting the nut/washer thingo is one thing, bolting it in right place is another.
The standard older style mini parcel shelf is just that..... a parcel shelf.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:47 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

But doesn't the seat belts hold the child in? Anchor point isn't the most crucial point in a crash? Can't find any engineering info using google.

Genuine question, I'm not trying to raise any arguments.

Basically I have over engineered seat belts at the back of the car (heavy gauge steel plates), but I put in the anchor points at the top (over a decade ago). Have never actually used the baby anchor points, the girls are too old now for that.

Last edited by Lillee on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:51 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Lets just say, if you are going to do this today, get it done by a professional.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:32 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Lillee wrote:
Anchor point isn't the most crucial point in a crash? Can't find any engineering info using google.

Answered your own question I think...anchor points not crucial :?: :roll: No...anchor points are highly crucial :!: :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:45 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

But in a head on crash, the child and seat fly forward and held by the seat belts? I thought the anchor only holds the seat from moving side to side in a side on crash but the seat belt itself is what anchors the child in the car. Think ISOFIX which has no top middle anchor point.

Heaven forbid that you have a side on T bone crash in a mini! Anchor point isn't going to save anyone in that situation with no intrusion bars to speak of...

Anyway after long thought, I think a pre 76 mini is just not suitable for middle top anchor points at all without serious modification (weld in a plate onto rear firewall or bar going the other way sort of mod)..... Does anyone have any pics of what a late rover parcel shelf looks like strengthening wise for child anchor seats? Did they even have anchor points on the parcel shelf at all? (Google search indicates no)

Anyway I digress...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:58 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

9YaTaH wrote:
Lillee wrote:
Anchor point isn't the most crucial point in a crash? Can't find any engineering info using google.

Answered your own question I think...anchor points not crucial :?: :roll: No...anchor points are highly crucial :!: :D

OP is referring to the single top anchor point that the baby seat secures onto, not the seatbelt anchor points :?: I can't see how this single top middle anchor point that holds the seat in is "highly crucial" when the seat belt holds the person in using a booster where the child is using the car seat belt.

OK I can see if using a child capsule or reclining seat that has it's own belts, this might be a problem, in which case it is probably advisable to get the parcel shelf completely strengthened or possibly it may not even advised to use anything other than a booster style seat :shock:

EDIT: Let me rephrase: If you are planning to put in anything other than a booster style child seat where the child is using the car's seat belts, you will need to heavily modify the parcel shelf of your mini to put in a strong anchor point. The mini parcel shelf is weak. If using a booster style seat then top anchor point isn't what is holding the kid in.

Case in point:

I'm done with this topic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

My 1977 mini s has standard child mounts in the parcel shelf...both in the rear parcel shelf. If you have speaker holes cut in the parcel shelf...forget about mounting the child restraint bolt in the parcel shelf as it will tear through in the case of an accident. Mine were mounted and checked in 1978 when the car was sold new by the nsw ambos in Rockdale Sydney. Will get a pic when I get back to the garage.

Hooroo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks everyone.

Yes the whole child seat thing is a bit of a minefield. Not all seats are created equal. But I'm putting that aside for now.

I'm just trying to understand what Mini is going to have the anchor points as standard.

So is it 76 onward that has them?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:09 am 
1275cc
1275cc

'75 on for CAPs.

Must be fitted within 50mm of the centreline of the seating position.

Must be able to withstand 384kg of load in a forwards direction. (Seatbelts are 1550kg!)

If you're unsure, please pay someone who knows what they're doing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:18 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Stuwey wrote:
'75 on for CAPs.

Must be fitted within 50mm of the centreline of the seating position.

Must be able to withstand 384kg of load in a forwards direction. (Seatbelts are 1550kg!)

If you're unsure, please pay someone who knows what they're doing.

Yepp and thats with a 25 per cent safety margin built on top of the weight above. I would imagine there would be a bit of flex after that though...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

I have 2 child booster seats in the back of mine that secure with the seat belt only, I use them for my kids 3-6 years old. The seat does not come with a center restraint strap and are designed to be used with the seat belt only. If I got into any kind of serious accident in my old mini with the kids in the back then the center strap is the last thing I would be worried about !!! If your main concern is safety for your kids don't out them in the mini.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Depends on how old the kids are as to what type of seat and restraint system is needed, if they are under 4 they have to be in a proper child seat which usually has the anchor strap going up into the back parcel shelf, if they are over 4 they can use a booster seat that the safety belts hold. I personally would not be comfortable having my little kids in the back of a Mini in this day and age though.