Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Boot boards
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:27 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

G'day just an enquiry were the boot boards in a mk 1 s the same as mk 2 or were they the same colour as the interior?

1975 leyland

Post subject: Re: Boot boards
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:54 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Pretty sure they were all black vinyl with piped edging and thin hessian underlay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:17 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Mk1 Cooper S boot boards were trimmed to match the interior colour and vinyl was a finer texture. There has been some debate as to whether they started to fit the black Mk2 style toward the end of Mk 1 production, perhaps as a cost saving measure.

My car is very late 68 with red interior but seems to have an original looking black boot board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:40 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Wheels Magazine 1966, test car is likely dark blue with light blue interior, you can see how light in colour the boot board is.

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg

Attachment:
Untitled 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:43 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

phillb wrote:
Wheels Magazine 1966, test car is likely dark blue with light blue interior, you can see how light in colour the boot board is.

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg

Attachment:
Untitled 2.jpg

That car is actually dark green with the light green interior, but yes you are correct, matching boot board.

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

You can see here (in the first attachment) that the trim section includes the seats, interior trim and the boot board, in this example doeskin.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=96010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

low n blown wrote:
phillb wrote:

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg

Attachment:
Untitled 2.jpg

That car is actually dark green with the light green interior, but yes you are correct, matching boot board.

How did you work out it is green? I have the magazine and very hard to tell and almost looks black on the colour cover. I have noticed the same car on in a few magazine car tests.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:14 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I thought it was the same as interior just mk 2 and hrs were black. Thanks all :)

1975 leyland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 am 
848cc
848cc

My experience with the Mk1 boot board that came out of the Works Bathurst car is that it had two different types of vinyl. The large centre section was a more robust vinyl with slightly coarser texture of a colour that was very close to that of the car's interior, just ever so slightly darker. The edging (about 1/2 inch wide) was a smoother vinyl that appears to be identical to the cars interior. The padding between the vinyl and the actual timber board is thin horsehair.

The boot board in a Mk11 has always been black and the earlier comment that late Mk1 had a black board seems very feasible. Again, the centre section is of a coarser vinyl and the edging a finer vinyl. We were fortunate enough to get a few NOS black boot boards in the early nineties that still had the parts sticker on them and they are also coarse and smooth vinyls.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:48 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I've never had a close look side by side but thought maybe the vinyl used for the base of the dash parcel shelf, which seems a little more heavy duty than the seat vinyl, may have been what they also used for the colored boot boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:30 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

phillb wrote:
low n blown wrote:
phillb wrote:

Attachment:
Untitled.jpg

Attachment:
Untitled 2.jpg

How did you work out it is green? I have the magazine and very hard to tell and almost looks black on the colour cover. I have noticed the same car on in a few magazine car tests.

According to Alan Kemp and then Evan Green the car given to the press was the ex-French/Harvey car from Bathurst of 65 which had a minor altercation. The factory race cars were healthily tuned to around 90-93hp depending on the year. Alan stated that the French/Harvey car was given to the press with its higher hp engine for obvious reasons. The car was later used by Evan Green in a series of rallies and that car still exists and was verified in writing by Evan Green before he passed away. I have seen the car in person. It was originally BRG but the outside painted Castrol racing Green, then repainted again back to BRG. That's how I am sure that car was BRG. I have been trying to get the owner to sell me the car for close to 10 years, but he is adamant it will be restored shortly.
G>

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

phillb wrote:
I've never had a close look side by side but thought maybe the vinyl used for the base of the dash parcel shelf, which seems a little more heavy duty than the seat vinyl, may have been what they also used for the colored boot boards?

That's a very good point. If I recall correctly, the vinyl on the parcel shelf also has a fine cover of horse's hair attached to it which would add to your thought. I don't have a car handy at the moment to check it.

Post subject: 1965 BRG Race/ Test car
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Hi Greg, I am very interested in the early race cars. I didn't make the connection to the same car being used in the 65 Bathurst and then as a road test car and then by Evan Green in rallys. The number plate was different each time.

Can you confirm I am thinking of the same car?

It was 25C at the 1965 Bathurst driven By French/Hervey and rego was DWT913.

Then as the magazine test cars for the Jan 1966 Modern Motor then Feb and Apr 1966 Wheels with rego DXK552.

Then as Evan Greens Rally car with rego EFT685.

Regards Brad

low n blown wrote:
Quote:

According to Alan Kemp and then Evan Green the car given to the press was the ex-French/Harvey car from Bathurst of 65 which had a minor altercation. The factory race cars were healthily tuned to around 90-93hp depending on the year. Alan stated that the French/Harvey car was given to the press with its higher hp engine for obvious reasons. The car was later used by Evan Green in a series of rallies and that car still exists and was verified in writing by Evan Green before he passed away. I have seen the car in person. It was originally BRG but the outside painted Castrol racing Green, then repainted again back to BRG. That's how I am sure that car was BRG. I have been trying to get the owner to sell me the car for close to 10 years, but he is adamant it will be restored shortly.
G>

G>

Post subject: Boot boards
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:59 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

low n blown wrote:
phillb wrote:
low n blown wrote:

G>

Wow amazing info. Thankyou for sharing. BRG is very dark so explains how the car almost looks black even in the color photos. Also makes total sense that BMC would ensure the press got a car that was known to have impressive performance, and the figures in the four car comparison confirm this. I think it managed to come in just behind the big 2 litre Skyline in the standing quarter mile.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

The boot boards on the MK1 Cooper S were interior colour up until about July 1967 and then changed to black. About the same time they changed to the full length hydro covers.

1968 MG Midget