Ausmini
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Restoration costs
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

I just want the car to look nice, doesn't have to be show quality. I'm happy to pay for a good job with proper preparation so I don't have to do it again in 10 years.

I will rebuild an engine to standard Police spec (it is an ex Police car) thought I don't have the original engine.

Then just enjoy it. I haven't driven it for 35 years.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:53 pm 
998cc
998cc

maybe you should just sell it seems like it is giving you stress It is only a car. There are no freebies when you restore a car

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:17 pm 
998cc
998cc

People need to read the dates of the posts. The original thread started years ago and half of the replies have been about the old thread...

1966 Morris Mini Van
1969 Morris Mini Deluxe Resto
5/72 Clubman Gt

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:14 pm 
998cc
998cc

p7676 wrote:
maybe you should just sell it seems like it is giving you stress It is only a car. There are no freebies when you restore a car

There's also overpaying for a decent job, and overpaying for a rubbish job and having to pay twice.

I don't see the harm in asking the question here in the hope of some experienced minds offering advice or recommendations. Before buying anything, I do (what I believe is) a reasonable amount of research. Possibly spending $20k on bodywork would be foolish without trying to find some insight

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

9YaTaH wrote:
braad wrote:
I’m not going to lie, it is pretty frustrating trying to find a decent body shop. I’ve asked in person, asked on different groups, private messaged people, and it’s basically come to nought. Every place that’s recommended by one is negated by someone else.

Yes...its a bit of a lucky dip in some respects, however, in defence of some of the competent, fair shops...some people have unrealistic expectations, want the job done for nothing, think they know more than the "experts" or don't understand what they really want and how much that will cost.

People can also get shops offside by constantly pestering them...this can lead to a bad experience...in some parts of the trade, these people are snidely referred to as Mary Poppins (due to the number of times they pop in)

However...none of this excuses the rip-off merchants, bodges or criminal types...

Oh I agree, I'm a tradesman and there are plenty of customers who annoy the crap out of me when I work. I wish I could charge them more :roll:
I take pride in my work, and in my roles I tended to be the bloke who ended up being trusted to go fix some of my co-workers "work". Problem is most I have worked with, while able to, often didn't care, or their interpretation of "good" was barely passable.

Personally, I'm happy to pay for good work. The problem is that (like in my trade) majority of people are confident, but that doesnt equate to them being able to do a good/competent job first time around.

Finding someone/a workshop that is competent is the aim for a lot. I assume most people don't want a concourse resto thats powered by an open cheque book, just honest work for honest pay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:50 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Remember: the customer is always right (even when they are not!)...most people will see sense if you explain and tell them what the cost implications are...