Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:46 am 
848cc
848cc

I'm not having much luck with the colour. I had the paint from the switch panel matched using Valspar colour cards, by eye. The colour that was applied looked bronze in sunlight and so not a good match at all. The inside plum looks fine, but that was never a biggy for me.

I regret getting my original switch panel painted now, can never go back... Feel like I'm back at the beginning again.

For interest, does anyone have a Silver Birch next to Silver Ash to compare?

Mat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Mat

Sorry I can't help with the matching of silver Birch and Silver Ash.
Would you advise the details of the plum colour used for the inner wheels as an under coat so I can compare.

Pete.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

Pete,

Happy to mate, when I get the wheels back.

Mat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

Cheer's Mat :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

Here are 2 switch panels, left silver birch and the other silver ash. The silver birch is from what I can see, is an original switch plate. The silver ash looks to be re-coated?? But not sure.

For your viewing pleasure...

Attachment:
IMG_7389.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:11 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

winabbey wrote:
I'm in the process of restoring the wheels on my 1970 MK II Cooper S. Since they are still factory original (apart from the usual dirt, rust and gutter rash) I thought it might be useful to capture the colours and various markings before the repairs take place.

First some manufacturing data.

The wheels are 4 1/2" width by 10" diameter and were manufactured by Dunlop in the UK with BMC part number 21A1286 and Dunlop part number LP883. One of the hub cap securing lugs has LP883 stamped into it.

The centre is welded to the rim in four places around the circumference. Each of the four welds comprises what looks like a round spot weld with a flat resistance weld either side. You'll see what I'm talking about in the photos.

Wheels were primed in a dark red paint and then painted with Silver Birch on the outside surface only. Inside the wheel and rim remains in red primer. I have a spray can of Silver Birch from Mini Kingdom Online which I'll test to see how closely it matches the original colour.

It looks like the wheels were hung vertically when painted because all five of mine have a couple of pools of primer in two spots which you can see in the photos. Interestingly those pools of primer are exactly adjacent to the valve hole on all the wheels, so there was clearly some method in the way they were suspended for painting.

Stamped on the inside of the rim is the following coded data:

RSM 62 4 1/2 J x 10 CT, followed by the Dunlop logo and Made in England.

The following photos hopefully capture all the above information.

Feel free to comment, especially if you know the meaning of RSM, 62 or CT in the stamped codes.

Brian Moylan wrote in Anatomy of the Works Mini...

"In the early days of Mini racing the centre ripped out of the steel wheel. The manufacturers were quickly alerted because the problem caused the Mini to be banned from all RAC competitions. When the strengthened wheels were brought to Abingdon and stamped with an MG logo. Only cars with wheels carrying this stamp were allowed by the RAC scrutineers until the new wheels were standard fitting"

End...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

9YaTaH wrote:
winabbey wrote:
I'm in the process of restoring the wheels on my 1970 MK II Cooper S. Since they are still factory original (apart from the usual dirt, rust and gutter rash) I thought it might be useful to capture the colours and various markings before the repairs take place.

First some manufacturing data.

The wheels are 4 1/2" width by 10" diameter and were manufactured by Dunlop in the UK with BMC part number 21A1286 and Dunlop part number LP883. One of the hub cap securing lugs has LP883 stamped into it.

The centre is welded to the rim in four places around the circumference. Each of the four welds comprises what looks like a round spot weld with a flat resistance weld either side. You'll see what I'm talking about in the photos.

Wheels were primed in a dark red paint and then painted with Silver Birch on the outside surface only. Inside the wheel and rim remains in red primer. I have a spray can of Silver Birch from Mini Kingdom Online which I'll test to see how closely it matches the original colour.

It looks like the wheels were hung vertically when painted because all five of mine have a couple of pools of primer in two spots which you can see in the photos. Interestingly those pools of primer are exactly adjacent to the valve hole on all the wheels, so there was clearly some method in the way they were suspended for painting.

Stamped on the inside of the rim is the following coded data:

RSM 62 4 1/2 J x 10 CT, followed by the Dunlop logo and Made in England.

The following photos hopefully capture all the above information.

Feel free to comment, especially if you know the meaning of RSM, 62 or CT in the stamped codes.

Brian Moylan wrote in Anatomy of the Works Mini...

"In the early days of Mini racing the centre ripped out of the steel wheel. The manufacturers were quickly alerted because the problem caused the Mini to be banned from all RAC competitions. When the strengthened wheels were brought to Abingdon and stamped with an MG logo. Only cars with wheels carrying this stamp were allowed by the RAC scrutineers until the new wheels were standard fitting"

End...

Interesting. I assume they are referring to the early 850 wheels that were riveted and not welded.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:28 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

winabbey wrote:
Interesting. I assume they are referring to the early 850 wheels that were riveted and not welded.

Maybe...But! I think it was well into the Cooper era that Brian is talking about :cry: :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:36 am 
religious status
religious status

I can attest that early 850 wheels were weak, we broke one wheel right off the studs after a spirited run in a modded 61 850 through Galston Gorge back in 1964. :?
I don't think they replaced the thin centre rivetted ones until 1962, so there may have been early 997 Coopers with this same problem.
BTW, the first thick centre 3.5Bx10 ones were rivetted too. Not spot welded.
No Cooper S wheels had thin centres AFAIK.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:17 am 
1360cc
1360cc

9YaTaH wrote:
winabbey wrote:

Maybe...But! I think it was well into the Cooper era that Brian is talking about :cry: :D

This is what I was referring to regarding problems with early 850 wheels. It's shortly after production of the 850 commenced in Australia but two years into UK production, so there would've been time to identify the issue.

Attachment:
C 141_61.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Car company Policy/Identifying Faults/Recall or correction...not always a seamlessly beautiful or swift set of actions and reactions!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:16 am 
848cc
848cc

Finally got my wheels back after a few issues, with the colour and workmanship. Ended up getting them re-finished at another business due to workmanship problems with the first mob. I don't have a colour match number on the inside due to the nature of how this unfolded I'm sorry.

Special thanks goes to ausdino for his help in providing a check match after the work was completed.

Attachment:
IMG_7458.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_7482.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_7481.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

Looking goood.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I've had my wheel colour matched for both the silver exterior and red/brown interior and a litre of each mixed in acrylic. Dropped the wheels off today for blasting and repairing, followed by etch prime. Should be some time before they are finished as I told the wheel business there is no immediate rush.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

Doug. May I ask what the colour is called or batch numbers are for the red/brown for the inner wheel rim ;-).

Pete.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next