Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:37 pm 
998cc
998cc

Here's some info I pulled about the different standards Race Harnesses are manufactured to. As to whether they are street legal is another matter.

I believe as long as your harnesses meet the criteria for the standard for CAMS sanctioned events, then they ought to be legal for road use. I know I'd feel a hell of a lot safer in a 4 or 5 point harness, than a simple freakin seat belt. But in the end, I spose it comes down to the individual Mr. Plod.

Here's the info:
Safety Harnesses & CAMS

nb: Saas 5 point has the SFI 16.1 standard

1. SFI 16.1. These harnesses may have 4, 5 or 6 straps and usually come from the United States, although there is one Australian supplier. The SFI standard is the only standard which accepts the aircraft style latch buckles, popular with the Off Road fraternity. They can also have push buttons or turn buckle release mechanisms. They are generally much cheaper than the FIA harnesses but must be returned to the original manufacturer every two years for inspection and re-webbing. They have a month and year of manufacture incorporated into the SFI certification label. No harness may be used more than 2 years after the date of manufacture shown on the label as it no longer complies to the standard.

2. The FIA 8853/98 (5 and 6 point harnesses) or FIA 8854/98 (4 point harnesses). These have either a push button or turnbuckle release, but not the open or latch type buckle often used in Off Road events. Each separate strap is clearly marked with the homologation number and an expiry date (eg. FIA DXXX.T98 and Not Valid After 200X). All straps used with the harness must have the same homologation number, so mixing straps with those of a different type or manufacturer is prohibited. All FIA harnesses have a five year life. No harness may be used after the "Not valid after" date as it no longer complies to the standard. The earlier FIA standards (FIA 8853-1985 and FIA 8854-1991) remain acceptable for non international events. However, the FIA have withdrawn these standards internationally, and their continued acceptance beyond 2002 will be reviewed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:06 am 
1275cc
1275cc

a little SA information....

When driving a vehicle on SA roads, an ADR Approved restraint MUST be fitted and worn, unless the vehicle WAS NOT fitted with seat belts from factory (eg, most pre- 1969 vehicles).

You CAN wear a racing type harness ....and get this..... but you MUST wear the factory fitted seat belt ASWELL.

If a harness is to be the only form of belt worn, it must be fitted and located within ADR standards, and have an Engineering Certificate to prove its legality. And i'm pretty sure the rear seat MUST be removed, which then requires the car to have another certificate identifying it as a 2-SEATED-VEHICLE, which then makes your car a sports car (higher registration costs)

But this wont stop the police from taking your car off the road, simply because they THINK its not legal.... even though you have the certificates to prove it....

Either way, i used harnesses on my first mini for a year without any problems or certificates.... :wink: