Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:03 am 
1098cc
1098cc

low n blown wrote:
I would think that as the population of mini enthusiasts reduces with age, the demand on cars would have to fall, much the same as for the cars of the 20's and 30's. However, I also believe that the rarer models will still be in high demand. If you are going to have a mini it might as well be a rare one.

I would tend to agree ask a 20s year old something what they think of 20 30 40s cars most would say not interested most are interested in hotted up rice burners if there interested in cars at all

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:47 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

problem is, there are not enough experts building the "rare models" (probably, to keep the prices high) :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:25 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I think they'll keep going up in value slowly, as mentioned by a few. Even cars that were concidered to be only good as boat anchors back in their day are gaining value, who would have thought a P76 Would ever be worth $15,000.
$1500 would have got you one 15 years ago. It's not just the 'old' minis going up in value, according to Shannons, my Wova mini is worth $3000 more than it was last year.
Another thing that makes mini's valuable is their icon status, ask anybody about them, they'll know something about them or someone who had/has one.
Being related to iconic models adds value, doesn't matter if they're not a Cooper S, they get 'relative' tax not Cooper $ tax.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Slightly different question now, the time has come for me to insure my car.

It is a 1967 cooper s, completely original interior, exterior, engine etc. just a few things replaced that weren't worth repairing like brakes, master cylinders, fuel pump etc. The interior is very good (for it's age), the exterior is good (for it's age), the motor is functioning but showing signs of it's age.

I am finding it hard to value as there doesn't seem to be anything unrestored for sale now or recently.

Is a decent original like mine worth more/less/same than the restored ones that are currently listed for sale in the $30,000-$38,000 price range?

I originally insured it for $30,000 but am second guessing the decission.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:49 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Seems like no problem to insure a car such as yours for quite a high sum (over the 30K you mentioned) so you need to work out the value to you to replace the car if needed (hopefully not) and that would make you feel comfortable. I wouldn't think the premiums are much different between 30 and 35K.....but I am an owner, not an insurer.

I have had no problems raising my car values with Shannons - more than once!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I would value yours at $40k to $50k for insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:06 am 
1360cc
1360cc

8700s14 wrote:

It is a 1967 cooper s, completely original interior, exterior, engine etc. just a few things replaced that weren't worth repairing like brakes, master cylinders, fuel pump etc. The interior is very good (for it's age), the exterior is good (for it's age), the motor is functioning but showing signs of it's age.

I am finding it hard to value as there doesn't seem to be anything unrestored for sale now or recently.

Is a decent original like mine worth more/less/same than the restored ones that are currently listed for sale in the $30,000-$38,000 price range?

I originally insured it for $30,000 but am second guessing the decision.

You are probably overthinking this issue a little...in the unlikely event of total loss...all you need is enough money to start again where you left off...so discuss with your insurer (who will say yay or nay to any figure you propose and/or if pushed could ask for a higher premium)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:16 am 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:
8700s14 wrote:

I originally insured it for $30,000 but am second guessing the decision.

You are probably overthinking this issue a little...in the unlikely event of total loss...all you need is enough money to start again where you left off...so discuss with your insurer (who will say yay or nay to any figure you propose and/or if pushed could ask for a higher premium)

Possibly, but in the event of a total loss it would be near impossible to start where I left off given how few genuine 'survivors' you see for sale.

I would be quite happy to drive around in some of the restored models currently for sale, but wouldn't want to do a straight swap over if my car is of a higher value.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:00 pm 
998cc
998cc

A: Product life cycle says the mini is in its mature stage. Definitely an enthusiast car which means it's value is driven on emotion and enthusiast equity. So downward pressure on numbers of enthusiasts or equity of enthusiasts will see the price fall. I've seen plenty of "standard" minis junked for parts which pushes the stock available further into the highly desirable units being the majority, however the speed of this transition is markedly slowing so those looking to live the dream will be forced to pay for available stock though the balance with their equity against other lifestyle factors. I'd GUESS the value of the mini will be directly relative to changes in fiscal emotion. If we take a dive as a nation you can bet the "enthusiast" desire will fold to economic rationalism. Cashed up babyboomers are not stupid babyboomers, cashflow is king. The average income in Australia is about $63K so dont rely on non-emotive high value purchases.

B: The fundamental principle of insurance is the transfer of risk! The equation is the insurance company takes on the liability of risk and you take on the loss of premiums. Negotiation of risk mitigation becomes the game. Total loss means total replacement, not with a lesser or greater quality vehicle, but the same. So underwriters want to qualify this risk as a value so you need to be absolutely sure the value you state is the correct value. I have seen from the inside a diamond ring being replaced as opposed to the payout value being surrendered to the customer. The insurer saved almost 50%, I guess when it swings the other way you don't get a choice either. This just means you need to get and keep your value insured accurate.

In the mean time part suppliers will talk up the value of components, service suppliers will talk don the parts price, premium vehicle owners will talk up the price and non owners will talk it down. For those on the side lines it's just a joke!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:46 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Fortunately for us, Aussie cars are relatively rust free (in comparison to those in colder climates) and I am seeing a trend in classic Aussie cars going overseas. Relatively low values in Aus, coupled with their rarity generally good condition and we are seeing crazy figures paid for our cars by investors in the UK. Will be interesting to see where they go in the market.

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car

Last edited by low n blown on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:27 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Besser wrote:
A: Product life cycle says the mini is in its mature stage. Definitely an enthusiast car which means it's value is driven on emotion and enthusiast equity. So downward pressure on numbers of enthusiasts or equity of enthusiasts will see the price fall. I've seen plenty of "standard" minis junked for parts which pushes the stock available further into the highly desirable units being the majority, however the speed of this transition is markedly slowing so those looking to live the dream will be forced to pay for available stock though the balance with their equity against other lifestyle factors. I'd GUESS the value of the mini will be directly relative to changes in fiscal emotion. If we take a dive as a nation you can bet the "enthusiast" desire will fold to economic rationalism. Cashed up babyboomers are not stupid babyboomers, cashflow is king. The average income in Australia is about $63K so dont rely on non-emotive high value purchases.

For those on the side lines it's just a joke!

What Besser said :!: :lol:

Adding: We can all live in hope for that elusive Barn find :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

It's probably a bit strange, but I still remember my Cooper S as a car that was bought for a pittance & I don't care how much it might be worth, because I'm going to die with it & I have no kids!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Wow Besser! That was impressive. See, mini owners are very clever!

Member: VMCI #2474
Member: International Mini Model Collectors Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:50 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

8700s14 wrote:
Possibly, but in the event of a total loss it would be near impossible to start where I left off given how few genuine 'survivors' you see for sale.

That might be so on the Island shaped like a strawberry or an up-turned saucer! However, the market on the big island is still reasonably healthy :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm 
998cc
998cc

"I am finding it hard to value as there doesn't seem to be anything unrestored for sale now or recently.

I originally insured it for $30,000 but am second guessing the decision..."

That's easy, you insure it for as much as the insurer will allow you to... making sure you have an agreed value - not market value - policy.

If nothing happens, you lose your bet and whatever premium you've paid. The only reason to buy insurance is in case something happens... and if it does you'll need as much as you can get to fix the mess or to start again. The insurer will make sure that the number you choose - or rather the one they will accept h- as a reasonable basis.

I would also make sure I get the salvage in the event of a write off.

Cheers, Ian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next