Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Cooper S Value/Market
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

A discussion I have had with a few people has led to some interesting opinions, keen to hear some of your opinions on the topic:

I am of the opinion that the prices/values of Cooper S's has likely reached their peak. I think that the age of these cars (45-50 years) puts them in that ideal bracket where a large population of people from age 40+ either aspired to have one in their youth, or had one in their youth, or knew someone who had one in their youth. As more time passes (say 20 years from now), there aren't going to be anywhere near the number of people who have actually had 'real world' experiences with these cars that have that overwhelming desire to purchase one before it's too late.

Opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I've said the same thing before, and I agree with you, you're talking about baby boomers who always wanted an S when they were young, but couldn't afford it, and now they're retired with cash sitting around and want one. When they're dead, their kids won't want them, so they'll be offloaded. Those cars that are advertised for/going for/went for silly money won't be getting the same prices

I don't know if it's peaked, but I'm quite sure that the market is over-inflated...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

i think they will continue to climb in price to be honest, slowly but still climb
they have been climbing slowly for ages & i think the bubble won`t bust for a while longer
we shall see :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:18 pm 
Yay For Hay!

TheMiniMan wrote:
i think they will continue to climb in price to be honest, slowly but still climb
they have been climbing slowly for ages & i think the bubble won`t bust for a while longer
we shall see :-)

but what about the $50-$60K cars that are appearing? and the people who are buying cars for $20K then advertising them for $30K only months later? maybe they're not selling for that, but that top end of the market is tugging on the bottom end, and cars like mine are valued at a lot more than they're worth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:39 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I only got into minis because my parents (baby boomers) had them. Bringing back great memories as a kid. So its not just the baby boomers that want them. I think we still have another 20 years of baby boomer kids buying with their heart before the interest is lost on the next generation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:11 pm 
998cc
998cc

I agree , I think prices for original Minis are going to keep on climbing slowly , you only have to look at prices for Toranas ,Monaros,Falcon GT's etc. Even the lesser model family sedans and wagons are now getting ridiculous prices ,probably due to the fact not everyone can afford $150K or more for an XU1 or Falcon GT :D

Edit : My Kids and grandkids really love my minis , they can't wait to get in and go for a drive

1977 Leyland LS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:42 pm 
998cc
998cc

I often wonder whether advertised price = actual sale price.

These cooper s prices are affecting how some view their deluxe values . I've recently seen some ambitious pricing of standard model cars.

Also seeing this in piece of junk rebuild engine/parts prices . Inflated.

I've loved mini since being a kid. My first was a 64 van found in a field in North Queensland . I rebuilt and drove that at 16 .
Never owned a cooper s . Would love to have one but am quite happy to settle with a fun deluxe.
Finally, just because Brocks 1987 VL Director sold for $300K doesn't make a bog standard VL worth $20K . Provenance has to play a part in value.
Just my 2c .... probably just bitter ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous - 1978 Leyland LS 1275 Gold
- 1969 Mini K

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:29 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I consider a running driving mini(whatever it is) is worth at least 5k minimum. A rego'd mini is another Grand i'd say. This seems to be the right price for a bottom of the barrel mini thats on the road, so add in "Cooper S" tax (which i think is not a bad thing) it'll be a minimum of a 8-10k car for a bottom of the barrel S.

I do think prices will keep going up, but as Matt suggested, it'll be slow. If and when parts dry up, they will surge a bit, but the thing I believe will push prices up is, believe it or not, the economy. When we had the mining boom and there was money floating about, i noticed the price of a mini rose pretty dramatically. So if and when we have another boom, that'll be when Classic cars in general will go up in value. Minis do tend to go up a bit more as they are the cheaper end of the Classic Car range so people can afford to pay a bit extra.

Anyway, just a train of thought, take it as you will.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

I have watched the price of the Australian Cooper S since 1988 when I purchased mine.
They have increased slowly as AJ and the MiniMan have stated and I see no reason why they will not continue to do so. Parts seem to be harder to find and have increased in valve very quickly in the last three years or so - my guess thats due to more going back on the road and kept in serviceable condition along with the demand and restorations of the Australian Clubman GT which uses some of the same stock parts. You only have to look at the increase in price of the Clubman GT in the last few years to see that these cars are still in demand not to mention the Cooper S and Clubman GT Police built spec.
Each to there own but my reasoning applies to original as I see these's cars seem to attract a higher price bracket which continues through to the parts that come up for sale.
Interested in Doug's and Micks view on this as they would have seen a number of changes in the Australian market :D
That's my dollars worth and it's worth less than your Australian dollar. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:21 am 
998cc
998cc

Clearly a lot of people see minis, and other classics, as good investments...better than money in the bank as they say. In my line of work I am seeing more and more classics being bought in the name of a super fund. These are being tucked away, which will only put more pressure on the market and keep driving up prices...albeit slowly and over a number of years. I honestly can't see mini prices going backwards for a very long time, if ever.
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 am 
1360cc
1360cc

simonw wrote:
I often wonder whether advertised price = actual sale price.

Sometimes not, sometimes well exceeded, just depends on the current interest and money available.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:09 am 
1360cc
1360cc

peter1 wrote:
Clearly a lot of people see minis, and other classics, as good investments...better than money in the bank as they say. In my line of work I am seeing more and more classics being bought in the name of a super fund. These are being tucked away, which will only put more pressure on the market and keep driving up prices...albeit slowly and over a number of years. I honestly can't see mini prices going backwards for a very long time, if ever.
Peter

Thanks for cheering us up Peter :lol: :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 am 
998cc
998cc

All cars that have a racing history will increase in value. Young children like BMC Minis. My son and I restored a cooper S in 1987 .He did most of the work, at that time he was 16.The restoration took 9 months. He kept the car for 2 years and sold it for $10,600.The problem he had was the police were pulling him over all the time looking for defects and telling him they drove these cars as police vehicles, they would also look for drugs he left the wing nuts off the back seat so they could check behind the back seat. Also they sent the car over the pits because it was too LOW which it wasn't .Pulled over approx. 25 times in 2 years he was never booked. Red car P plate. I bought the same car back 15 years ago for $6.500.It was a wreck plenty of rust damaged motor and gear box etc. I bought it back for nostalgic reasons my daughters used to drive it as well. I started a full restoration about 2 years ago seems to be taking a long time maybe I have lost some of my skills. Do you know anyone who has 1 or 2 hydro bags for sale ? this would speed up the project. P7676. Thanks heaps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:52 am 
1360cc
1360cc

p7676 wrote:
All cars that have a racing history will increase in value. Young children like BMC Minis. My son and I restored a cooper S in 1987 .He did most of the work, at that time he was 16.The restoration took 9 months. He kept the car for 2 years and sold it for $10,600.The problem he had was the police were pulling him over all the time looking for defects and telling him they drove these cars as police vehicles, they would also look for drugs he left the wing nuts off the back seat so they could check behind the back seat. Also they sent the car over the pits because it was too LOW which it wasn't .Pulled over approx. 25 times in 2 years he was never booked. Red car P plate. I bought the same car back 15 years ago for $6.500.It was a wreck plenty of rust damaged motor and gear box etc. I bought it back for nostalgic reasons my daughters used to drive it as well. I started a full restoration about 2 years ago seems to be taking a long time maybe I have lost some of my skills. Do you know anyone who has 1 or 2 hydro bags for sale ? this would speed up the project. P7676. Thanks heaps.

Appalling behaviour by the Police (assuming he wasn't doing stuff to attract attention).

I have a white non-Mini car and red non-Mini car...I have had the HWP do U turns when in my red, never in my white!! :roll:

BTW recently chatting to a long-standing garage owner (his feet must be getting tired?) in Worcester UK...doing up a standard 1 litre Mini as a money earner..."good examples can bring £8-9K"...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:27 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I would think that as the population of mini enthusiasts reduces with age, the demand on cars would have to fall, much the same as for the cars of the 20's and 30's. However, I also believe that the rarer models will still be in high demand. If you are going to have a mini it might as well be a rare one.

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car