Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi, I have just bought my 1976 Leyland 998. Her name is "Molly" She is my second Mini, I had one 35 years ago as my first car. Now all my kids are grown I am reliving my youth! :D Just a few questions:

How do I know what model it is? I know it is not an "S" "LS" "GT" not sure whether to call it a clubman?

Should it have a badge on the boot lid?
Did they originally have an aerial?
Does anyone know what the knob on the right of the steering wheel under the dash, with a "P" on it is for? It doesn't seem to do anything. Couple of people thought maybe it was parking lights?
Where do I find a jack to suit a Mini?
I got a quote to have the steering wheel restored, it was $600. Does this sound about right?

Grateful for any information.
Thanks
Jayne

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:34 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

JayneM wrote:
Does anyone know what the knob on the right of the steering wheel under the dash, with a "P" on it is for? It doesn't seem to do anything. Couple of people thought maybe it was parking lights?

Hi Jayne. Welcome to Ausmini.

Here's a link to the answer on the P switch. Others will no doubt comment on your other queries.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94627

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

JayneM wrote:
Hi, I have just bought my 1976 Leyland. Her name is "Molly" She is my second Mini, I had one 35 years ago as my first car. Now all my kids are grown I am reliving my youth! :D Just a few questions:

How do I know what model it is? I know it is not an "S" "LS" "GT" not sure whether to call it a clubman?

It won't be a clubman just a run of the mill Mini

Should it have a badge on the boot lid?

Should have Leyland Mini as a badge near the boot lid handle
Did they originally have an aerial?

Yes there would be aerial on the passengers front guard

It is to dim the instrument lights and all the way to the left will turn on the interior light.

Where do I find a jack to suit a Mini?

Minisport in Adelaide will have one laying about. There is a thread somewhere where some are asking sheep station prices for the original Jack and bag. Try the classifieds and put up a wanted ad.

I got a quote to have the steering wheel restored, it was $600. Does this sound about right?

Have no idea on restoration costs. Buy an aftermarket one and see how you go...or ask of any like minded mini types have one laying about

Grateful for any information.

Have fun with it...the plate number will give an indication of what it will be. Some on here have the gift of picking what it is with that number

Thanks
Jayne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:18 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Minikingdomonline has the steering wheel centre badges. People on here have redone them themselves, sand, bog and paint and it'll be a lot cheaper!
https://minikingdomonline.com.au/produc ... g-wheel-2/
https://minikingdomonline.com.au/produc ... ing-wheel/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thank you so much for the replies! I'm sure l will have many more questions over the coming months! Really excited to have a mini again! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 pm 
848cc
848cc

Minikingdom online sell the correct boot lid badge as a vinyl sticker.

I've got a couple of spare badges that are a little bit faded but mounting pins are all intact. If you can't find a good one send me a PM and you can have one of mine if you like. I'm in Perth but postage shouldn't be very much.

$600 is huge money for restoring a steering wheel. Good, used ones come up on gumtree quite often and if you join some of the facebook groups you should be able to get a good one for not much money. Clubman steering wheels have changed through the years so there will be different styles for sale.

If you go to mini.org.au there is a section on identifying your Mini through the engine no. and the body no.

Cheers
Eiles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:29 am 
998cc
998cc

or there is the book if you like that sort of thing.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australian-M ... 3057483731

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:42 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Pm sent Re; the mini jack .