Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:48 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi to all,
First post here as I've just purchased, after a long search, a 1970 MK2 Cooper S. I'm currently tracking down its history to build a picture of the car and its owners. I have sent the details to be added to the register too.

My question is about the voltage stabiliser. This car doesn't have one on the back of the speedo, and obviously the temp gauge way over reads. I've tested the temp with a probe and at 80 deg, it shows off the dial. I also replaced the sensor as part of an elimination process. All the photo's I've looked at shows the equaliser attached to the rear of the speedo, near the top. On this speedo housing, there doesn't appear to be any "old" attachment locations, i.e a stud or receiving thread for a screw. Was there an alternative location for the Stabiliser's on Mk2's? The speedo appears to be a period 120m/h as does the temp and oil pressure gauge (which is also requiring attention) I've checked the wiring too, and both the fuel gauge and the temp gauge are receiving 12v feed from the wire that should be going to the stabiliser first.

Thanks to the brains trust.

Attachment:
IMG_6342.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:57 am 
1360cc
1360cc

I'm working on my Sept 1970 MK II S at the moment and took this reference picture a few days ago. The voltage stabiliser is attached to the small bracket that attaches to the speedo mounting point. I'll see if I can get a better view behind the stabiliser.

Attachment:
Speedo Rear Voltage Stabiliser.jpg

If you are wanting originality the voltage stabiliser is available New Old Stock. MKO may also be able to supply a bracket.

https://minikingdomonline.com.au/produc ... condition/

Alternatively, you can install solid state components inside the case for a more reliable power source while still maintaining the original look.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95226

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/mgb-v ... ilizer.htm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:08 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Just checked my car and I see the speedo mounting bracket on the driver's side has a couple of "ears" to mount the stabiliser. There's a hole in the bottom part of the bracket to take the mounting screw. It looks like your bracket is already there so you only need a stabiliser.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

Cheers winabbey,

I've attached mine to the bracket and now the temp reads properly. Now of course the fuel gauge under reads by around a 1/3. Not as big an issue imo...
Most import gauge on a mini is the temp. 8)

Mat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:02 pm 
religious status
religious status

If fuel gauge under reads, check the float doesn't have fuel in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the hint. I've just filled her up, to see what it would read. Maybe syphon it now. Lol