Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:03 am 
848cc
848cc

44 years on my original ignition switch packed it in. 2 connections switch to harness: Brown wire & White wire with Red tracer AND White wire & White wire with Blue tracer.

My Leyland Australia (All Models) Workshop Manual does not show any ignition switch wiring with a White with Blue tracer wire for any model.

My Mini - built in April 1973 - Mini Window Van, 1098cc power unit.

After market replacement switch has Red, White, Blue & Yellow wires. Red goes to Brown(battery positive), Blue goes to White with Red tracer (solenoid), White gores to White (ignition coil & fuse) and YELLOW goes to White with Blue tracer (accessories)...RIGHT, WRONG, OR???

Help will be appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:24 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Sounds right. I'd test switch wiring with multi before fitting, I had aftermarket one with wires soldered on wrong. Cheap Knock offs sold by Minispares UK.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 am 
848cc
848cc

SOLVED

1st Pair - from switch, RED goes to BROWN (battery positive), BLUE goes to WHITE with Red tracer (solenoid)

2nd Pair - from switch .WHITE goes to WHITE (ignition coil & fuse), YELLOW goes to WHITE with Blue tracer (accessories)

Soldered, shrink tube wrapped, pairs wrapped, new longer bit zap strapped to steering column & under dash.

Bit of a fiddle mounting the locking switch but done. All good!

Appreciate the help - John S. & Kevin G.!

Took the Mini for a run to fill the BBQ propane tank. ROO loved it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:12 am 
1275cc
1275cc

If the Replacement Ignition Switch you bought is one supplied by me (Which it probably is) it should have instructions on the inside of the packet lid. Explains what the 4 Wires coming off the white plug are. Did you open the packet from the wrong end.. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:44 am 
religious status
religious status

No, I bought it from John Smidt, and packed and shipped it to Canada.
It was only in a plastic bag, no box.
John then advised Rick how to wire it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 am 
848cc
848cc

Did not think to contact you Tony! But all good now.

The starter motor packed it in after all of our Australian travels, North American return trips to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Ohio and to San Diego, California, plus local mileage & event driving <1,000 kms. per event. Maybe 50,000 kms. Will have a local firm look at repair.

Alternator going strong...still driving 24/7 with headlights on, like the relays for hi/lo beams. LED side marker lights I had to install (put them in the city flairs) see the Mini lit up like a Christmas tree at night - gov't rationale, all Minis that were sold in Canada in the 70s had side marker lights.

Uprated the suspension HD adj lower arms & tie-rods, new wiggly pins, bushes, adj. camber at rear & S drums. etc....and replaced an upper ball joint in Auburn, California.