Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:50 am 
848cc
848cc

From the look of this thread, I have an original clutch master cylinder and an updated alloy brake MC.

Can anyone confirm the original colour / finish to the cast iron versions from factory?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:41 pm 
religious status
religious status

Iron oxide, aka rust. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:44 pm 
The Mini King

MiniMat wrote:
From the look of this thread, I have an original clutch master cylinder and an updated alloy brake MC.

Can anyone confirm the original colour / finish to the cast iron versions from factory?

They came from the factory as plain cast Iron, then they slowly formed a rusty appearance,
if you want to maintain the original finish then have them hydro blasted then clear lacquer them

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:04 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks John and drmini.

Seems like an odd way for them to leave the factory. No wonder so many were painted afterwards, black seems to have been the most common.

Cheers
Mat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:07 pm 
848cc
848cc

Restoring a 9/70 MCS. Today's job was to disassemble both master cylinders. Both cylinders are of the plastic reservoir type and they have seen better days. One is a Girlock cast iron unit and the other one is a Lockheed alloy model, both have 0.7" bores and both have been re-sleeved in stainless steel. Inspection after disassembly shows the sleeves to be in good condition, difficult to believe from the initial inspection. The alloy unit was probably used as the brake master as it had the slow return valve installed, but this is only my assumption. The Girlock unit was easily disassembled with the piston and components sliding out quite easily. The Lockheed unit proved more of a challenge. I could not budge the internals, the only way I could remove the piston was to tap the hole where the piston rod fits into the piston and use a piece of booker rod, socket, nut and washer to extract it. I have bought 2 new reservoirs and will fit new kits soon.
BTW, I also have a 9/69 MCS. The brake master is a tin type Lockheed unit and the clutch master cylinder is a Lockheed 0.7" bore alloy unit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1963 Triumph Spitfire
1982 RX-7 Series 2