Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Hydro bag problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:47 am 
religious status
religious status

I am hosting this for minimate.
He bought a non-S hydro bag from someone, pumped it up and it won't de-pressurise. Is the valve plunger shown in the middle of this pic stuck then?

Comments? :P

Post subject: Re: Hydro bag problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Thanks for posting Kev. I always wanted to see what was inside.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:13 pm 
religious status
religious status

TK wrote:
Thanks for posting Kev. I always wanted to see what was inside.

A hydro bag's not the sort of thing you could knock up in your workshop, or on a 3D printer either!! :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Kev for posting that photo for me. I've tried pumping it up several times and tried the air compressor on it also. It releases some pressure then takes a day to release some more fluid, but doesn't release all the way. Finding this photo made me wonder if the valve is stuck in position rather than just some crap blocking the hole that connects the chambers ???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm 
998cc
998cc

I may be wrong but?????
My understanding is that the rubber flap valve flexes when fluid enters from the hose, (movement from the other wheel, providing fluid pressure is high enough to open the valve) and uncovers holes which then allows fluid to enter the RH/lower chamber. (hydro unit on its side in pic)
The retainer piece acts like a spring which tends to keep the valve closed.
The valve shaft doesn't actually move.
Static pressure in the system is about 280 psi - approx. 1.9 Mpa and can reach 400+psi - approx. 2.7 Mpa during a bump.
When the wheel hits a bump and wants to shift fluid out of the RH/lower chamber to the other wheel, the rubber flap valve is held closed and pressure increases in the RH/lower chamber. This pressure is then transferred to the rubber spring part which absorbs some of the bump.
In addition there is a bleed hole which allows some fluid to bypass the closed valve as fluid needs to be transferred to the other hydro unit, for want of a better description, to prepare the other wheel on that side to be ready when it hits the bump.
This all happens in milliseconds.
Its a pretty rough description of how the hydro unit works but it may help.
The BMC black cover workshop manual has a some more info plus some line drawings of the inner workings of the hydro bags and system.
If the pressure is retained in the RH/lower chamber then the bleed hole between the RH/lower chamber and the LH/upper chamber and hose appears to be blocked.
There are 2 basic differences between S and non S bags.
1/ The S rubber spring is thicker where the hose enters as the top of the rubber is only about 1/2" down from the top of the metal case compared to approx. 1" on non S bags.
2/ IIRC the bleed hole diameter between the 2 chambers (not the flap valve holes) in the S bag is smaller than the non S bag.

Winabbey has some info re the difference between the 2 bags in his infinitely large information source.

RonR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

A good mentor and Larke Hoskins mechanic who worked on minis, 1100s and 1800s when new, told me in the 1970s that the main 'terminal' problem they ever came across in service with hydrolastic systems was when the displacer seized up completely. And it was rare with minis.