Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Changing locks in Sydney
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Sorry I couldnt find a post like it.... BUT..

For all of those of us in Sydney, has anyone changed their locks on their Mini and can anyone recommend someone or give me an indication of price..? I have the locks in the pull down handles, but I was able to open the car and start it firstly using a different Mini key, and then secondly with a key from a padlock off the gate..!!! :shock:

Cheers..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:57 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Yeah thats the joy of owning a Mini... figuring out the best ways to secure the bugger! :lol:
I've lost the keys for the locks that are in mine, and havent been arsed to get a locksmith to key them back up; but i will very soon. 8)
I haven't parked it outside or left it alone at all when it's this vunerable don't worry.
Now, i think i recall that someone got a new set of "hi-tech" more secure locks from karcraft? maybe.
Can't remember, and im sure someone else would be more helpful than i have been! :lol:

W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:20 pm 
848cc
848cc

Just go Mr. Bean styles and use a padbolt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:40 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I heard the Solex Locks are good. Not sure about price but.

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Prod ... s_103.html

Post subject: just did mine last week
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:16 am 
848cc
848cc

i just put solex type ones in mine but they are APX brand...

got them from auto one.

price was 70-80 i think (but they were on sale for $25 cause they were stock taking) for three of them in a set with four keys....three normal and one without the notch just in case u over turn the lock when it is not installed so u can put it back in.

easy to put in, just take the old ones out, change the clip on the back of the new one to a swivel type that comes with the pack, file away at the door a little (but not too much as you wanna make the new lock a very tight fit) then install them in by pushing them in hard and locking them in on the inside with a clip that also comes with the pack....

go down to your local auto one and see if they have anymore (universal) type APX locks....[the mini fitment ones are not in their database so i had to get universal ones that looked similar, obviously larger but definitely not smaller!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:31 am 
religious status
religious status

Sounds like you have fitted these to Clubbie doors OK- I doubt they will fit the earlier handles though.

New lock tumblers and keys are on MiniSpares or ausdirect sites, but I dunno if they will fit Oz door handles either. Anybody done it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:57 am 
1275cc
1275cc

cheers for the advice so far. :D Those Solex locks look V. Nice..!!!!

I think DrMini read my mind though... the description sounds like you have fitted new locks to a clubbie where the lock (from memory) is in the door. I have a '65 Deluxe which has those "high tech" locks in the handles. I am sure if I play I will realise what I need to replace but if someone has done it, the job is 3/4 done..!!!

p.s. wgormly, I'm like you at the moment. I parked on the footpath outside the cafe I was at just so I could keep an eye on him..!!!

p.p.s re that whole Mr Bean padlock style.... I did that on my old Mini... its murder on the paint work..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

sorry....stupid me didnt think that the locks in the roundies were in the handle.... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:55 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

im gonna get sum solex locks from super crap, thay have em for about $40 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:49 am 
848cc
848cc

I reckon the solex locks would be good but they are huuuge. I need to pick up a complete set of locks cause I need three keys to turn the various locks in my car.

dewey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

OK door cards off, Mini in pieces, I have tried to tackle the door lock problem to no avail.

Problem - turning the lock wont lock the door

Investigation - there is a metal ring with a seperate hook attached that seems to have come loose. Hooking that up to the longer screw (all on inside of door) doesnt change things. there is a second ring (no hook) that also was moving around. Pushed that into the lock where the gap allowed. Still no change. So very frustrated :evil: I went to pull the key out, and the barrel came with it. Now I cant get the barrel in... :cry:

Questions - 1. have i f'ked it..?? 2. Is there a way to remove the handle/lock without needing to pull the door apart..?? 3. Has anyone got a diagram of the pieces that they can send me..? The Hayes one seems totally different.

P.s. The Solex locks definitely wont fit pre Clubman door handles. Solex locks will only fit as long as the Key Barrel is SEPARATE to the HANDLE..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:35 pm 
religious status
religious status

Better take it to a locksmith. :cry:

I brought in some UK barrels and keys, but haven't had a chance yet to see if/how they fit Deluxe/Cooper S handles.. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:14 pm 
998cc
998cc

I know for a fact that ya can buy solex locks with a surround that sit out from the body a touch(suitable for clubbies), and they also have locks which are designed to replace the original ones in door handles.

But I dont believe they make them for mini door handles, only more common later model cars now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:23 pm 
religious status
religious status

I brought in 24G1345, ignition barrel set MK1 & 2- (5.1GBP)
and 27H9634- key barrel set Mk2. (8.00GBP for 2 sets) From MiniSpares.

My assumption was that the keys and barrels were imported from UK even though the locks & handles were made in Oz.
Dunno if they fit, yet.... :?

I'm on hols next week- if I get time I'll try and fit 'em. Anyone know how to get the tumblers out of a Deluxe / S door handle?? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:36 pm 
the King of Bling

While your on Locks Imanamini, Guess wha I found in The tank Of Marcia :?:
Complete bottom end of a fuel locking Mech. I took he tank of and put it on the pround with a rattle rattle. Five minutes later Springs barrel and bottom end of cap on the ground.
LOL realy.

Good luck on the Door Locks
Cheers Mate