Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Cheap trick
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 am 
848cc
848cc

Fitting the locking strip into the front and rear screen rubbers has never been my favourite job - and still isn't - but having tried it in the past with screw-drivers, knives and a lot of swearing, I recently bought a tool designed to do the job, which broke the first time I used it - more swearing. I tried making my own out of wire - usually not rigid enough, a large split-pin (this worked quite well) - until my eye fell on something most of us would have. The 'bull-dog' clip holding my receipts together. Simply take out one of the steel 'handles' - they are very strong and coated so slide well. Squeeze the rounded end in a vice or with pliers to just a bit bigger than the width of the strip, and put a slight curve upward at the base of the loop. Lock it into the end of a bullnose vice grip plier, grab your lubricant, and you'll have it done in under five minutes.

Insert the loop longways into the channel for the locking strip. Water with a bit of detergent makes a good enough lubricant. Turn the loop across the channel while pressing in, so it spreads the sides - and insert one end of the locking strip, round side facing out. Then push/pull the tool along the groove, leaning it back at about 20 degrees. You will need to hold the strip still to get started, but after a few centimetres it will hold itself. Make sure the rest of the loose strip goes in straight and is covered on both sides once inserted. If you pop out on the corners, pull out the strip back to a straight part and have another go. when you reach the end, look around the whole rubber seal to make sure it's smooth and straight, Then cut the locking strip about 4-5 mm too long, push the very end up against the end you started with, and work the little buckle into the channel - which puts pressure on the strip and allows for some expansion...job done.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Min - 1970 MkII S, 119hp Dave Anton 1380, SH Engineering belt drive, 1.5 rollers, 123Tune ignition, 48 DCO SP Weber, HP Headers, MSD, Maniflow ex. Swiftune SC/CR 3.7 + ATB, all KAD front, antiroll bars and gas shocks, 6 inch Minilites with Dunlop Sports

Post subject: Re: Cheap trick
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:12 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

Oooh, I like the use of office stationary!

Ha ha, I'll never look at a bull clip the same way again...

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:43 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Brilliant!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzew738f5TA

"Bull Dog Clip"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

Great idea. What size bulldog clip?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:

Love it! Clip was about 18 mm wide

Min - 1970 MkII S, 119hp Dave Anton 1380, SH Engineering belt drive, 1.5 rollers, 123Tune ignition, 48 DCO SP Weber, HP Headers, MSD, Maniflow ex. Swiftune SC/CR 3.7 + ATB, all KAD front, antiroll bars and gas shocks, 6 inch Minilites with Dunlop Sports

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:43 am 
1360cc
1360cc

cranky wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzew738f5TA

Love it! Clip was about 18 mm wide

You huvered over the slider...dintcha :?: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:07 pm 
848cc
848cc

Tackled my rear window today. Wasn't looking forward to it after the struggle I had with the front. Used the Cranky patented bulldog clip tool. It worked a treat, I was pumped when the whole job took less than an hour.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:38 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

cruiser23 wrote:
Tackled my rear window today. Wasn't looking forward to it after the struggle I had with the front. Used the Cranky patented bulldog clip tool. It worked a treat, I was pumped when the whole job took less than an hour.

Car is looking pretty good

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:56 pm 
998cc
998cc

Sad isn't it, when we have to cobble up our own tools because the professionally made ones are rubbish :(