Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Has anyone else had problems fitting the "cowhorn" or "moustache" to the grill surround?

Aust'n round-nose has a UK sourced front apron panel (fitted c. 1984 - think it was genuine UK part).
Have bought 2 alternative moustaches. Neither fits.

Any experiences?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

I would say your best bet is to find a good original one. I tried a cheaper reproduction one (chromed steel) and the fit was awful. I ended up using a Minispares one (chrome on brass) which is much better quality. The fit still wasn't perfect at the ends, but the brass was flexible enough to twist a little bit until it fitted pretty well. While the Minispares looks good, I reckon it would be easy to damage as the brass feels pretty soft compared to steel.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 am 
religious status
religious status

Years ago I tried fitting a new aftermarket one and the fit was poor.
But a friend bought a basket case S which had two new original Oz steel ones inside, but unchromed. We got them plated and they fitted well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:12 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Thanks for the replies.
The most recent one I'm trying to fit is non-magnetic (so assume it's stainless). I don't know if it is a MS supply. Will look into trying another source.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 pm 
998cc
998cc

Bill B wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
The most recent one I'm trying to fit is non-magnetic (so assume it's stainless). I don't know if it is a MS supply. Will look into trying another source.

Are you interested in second hand ones, Bill?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:53 am 
848cc
848cc

I'm just about at paint stage and tried to fit the moustache to the front of the car.

No chance, not even close.....

It wasn't on the car when I bought it and I'm now concerned that a bad repair may be the issue.

Is there a possibility that the front end is of a later model or similar or is it just the old crusty metal moustache is way out?

The pressed grill fits fine. the bonnet doesn't line up all that well but I'm guessing that's normal.

Any suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Ozrider wrote:
I'm just about at paint stage and tried to fit the moustache to the front of the car.

It wasn't on the car when I bought it and I'm now concerned that a bad repair may be the issue.

Is there a possibility that the front end is of a later model or similar or is it just the old crusty metal moustache is way out?

The pressed grill fits fine. the bonnet doesn't line up all that well but I'm guessing that's normal.

Any suggestions welcome.

I went through about 7 used ones that were borrowed from a friend - only 1 was close but dinged and needed rechroming. I had fitted a new front panel years ago and am sure it was a genuine part. When I went to get that moustache rechromed, they said it was too thin take linishing to a smooth surface for plating. So bought a new one from the same place I bought the front panel from but it didn't fit.
Also thought the new panel might have been for a Mk2 UK model and was different from Mk1 UK. The moustache on the car now is from Minispares who say their bar should fit all model minis including Mk2 getting the retro look to be Mk1, which means it should fit mine IF the panel was from UK.
Altogether I have bought 3 new moustaches, so it's been a long, expensive effort and still only fits where it touches and it exposes some holes in the panel that should be covered (in photo).
I think the original moustaches were made in the Sydney factory (like all the stainless trim) to fit Oz minis. Now the moustaches are to suit mostly UK models. There shouldn't be a difference but there are many other slight differences in panels.
I made this moustache fit by using long self tapping screws and gradually pulling the moustache up to best fit. Most of the screws are not a tight fit. They all vary. To get the ends of the moustache to line up with the little whiskers meant there is a gap along the top.
And I had to repaint the panel again after all the trial fittings.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:17 am 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
Ozrider wrote:

Any suggestions welcome.

I went through about 7 used ones that were borrowed from a friend - only 1 was close but dinged and needed rechroming. I had fitted a new front panel years ago and am sure it was a genuine part. When I went to get that moustache rechromed, they said it was too thin take linishing to a smooth surface for plating. So bought a new one from the same place I bought the front panel from but it didn't fit.
Also thought the new panel might have been for a Mk2 UK model and was different from Mk1 UK. The moustache on the car now is from Minispares who say their bar should fit all model minis including Mk2 getting the retro look to be Mk1, which means it should fit mine IF the panel was from UK.
Altogether I have bought 3 new moustaches, so it's been a long, expensive effort and still only fits where it touches and it exposes some holes in the panel that should be covered (in photo).
I think the original moustaches were made in the Sydney factory (like all the stainless trim) to fit Oz minis. Now the moustaches are to suit mostly UK models. There shouldn't be a difference but there are many other slight differences in panels.
I made this moustache fit by using long self tapping screws and gradually pulling the moustache up to best fit. Most of the screws are not a tight fit. They all vary. To get the ends of the moustache to line up with the little whiskers meant there is a gap along the top.
And I had to repaint the panel again after all the trial fittings.

My front panel sticks out a bit further than the bonnet, looks like you have fitted this so it doesn't cover lip where the bonnet sits. Do you have any wider shots?

I'm looking at getting another one from Mini Spares, my current one is only being held together by the chrome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:22 am 
1275cc
1275cc

By "wider shots" do you mean the top of the slam panel where the moustache meets/covers the edge of the slam panel?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:59 pm 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
By "wider shots" do you mean the top of the slam panel where the moustache meets/covers the edge of the slam panel?

Thanks, thats the one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:34 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The blue car has the poorly fitting moustache. The top of it does not reach the top of the slam panel.
Also a shot of my white Mk2 - all original parts. Note the moustache just reaches the edge of the slam panel but not over it, which later reproductions often did.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:46 am 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
The blue car has the poorly fitting moustache. The top of it does not reach the top of the slam panel.
Also a shot of my white Mk2 - all original parts. Note the moustache just reaches the edge of the slam panel but not over it, which later reproductions often did.

Thanks for posting the photos, very helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:57 pm 
998cc
998cc

Not that hard to fit provided your front apron panel has not been damaged. Use masking tape on the front panel so no paint damage, sit panel in correct position, note with felt pen where mould is touching panel place tape on mould then use a belt linisher to remove metal trial fit etc remove burr at back ,also you may need to bend the mould in at the top. The chrome brass mould is the easy one to fit. You can get them fitting better than original. The English front panel takes considerable time to fit, the mould area is ok.2 hour job all up.
Allen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I began to do as you have outlined but realised that with chrome on brass or steel, the chrome begins to flake off and I considered the whole item was history.
I am beginning to think you might be right and this is the only way to fit modern moustaches to Oz minis.
When I was trying to find a sample that got even close to fit, some were completely out of shape so that to get the bottom corners to align with the side whiskers, the top wasn't anywhere near the top edge of the slam panel.
When you say "English front panel takes considerable time to fit..." what do you mean? Which panel?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:15 pm 
998cc
998cc

The front apron panel is different than the original aus type in about 5 areas .bonnet catch area ,park light area, large vent lh side ,number plate brackets ,the panel is 6mm longer both ends ALL can be fixed with a bit of work no filler required. When you linish the chrome linish away from the chrome and finish with a smooth file and block with 320grit alu oxide paper the chrome will not lift as it has great adhesion to the brass. Hope this helps