Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:29 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

regarding the cover thanks for the replies, I thought it might be the case that they did not fir covers.

Regarding getting the topic back on track, there is a company in the US that does repo vintage batteries but I imagine it would be almost impossible to ship them over here.

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com

Other alternative is that some modern batteries look "old style" i.e. black with separate cell caps. Add a LUCAS or DUNLOP sticker and it's gong to look pretty close. I think I have heard also of people putting a modern battery inside a old battery case but that would take some serious effort.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

That's interesting as i am about 90% certain the clubman GT used the "white" rubber strap and cardboard cover.

I found the strap in one of my cars.

I will have to check through my photos with the hook. But sure was there

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:02 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Bubbacluby wrote:
That's interesting as i am about 90% certain the clubman GT used the "white" rubber strap and cardboard cover.
I found the strap in one of my cars.
I will have to check through my photos with the hook. But sure was there

The Clubman parts book PUB1052 only shows the cover, hooks and strap for YG2S6 and YG2S7, not YG2S8, so at least BMC/Leyland was consistent in documentation about the cover not being needed when a boot board was fitted.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:05 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

phillb wrote:
regarding the cover thanks for the replies, I thought it might be the case that they did not fir covers.

Regarding getting the topic back on track, there is a company in the US that does repo vintage batteries but I imagine it would be almost impossible to ship them over here.

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com

Other alternative is that some modern batteries look "old style" i.e. black with separate cell caps. Add a LUCAS or DUNLOP sticker and it's gong to look pretty close. I think I have heard also of people putting a modern battery inside a old battery case but that would take some serious effort.

...And the factory fitted batteries were quite small in comparison to typical batteries in other cars of the period. There was that wavy pressed metal spacer used to push the small battery towards the hold-down bracket.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:51 am 
1098cc
1098cc

phillb wrote:
...Other alternative is that some modern batteries look "old style" i.e. black with separate cell caps. Add a LUCAS or DUNLOP sticker and it's gong to look pretty close. I think I have heard also of people putting a modern battery inside a old battery case but that would take some serious effort.

Many of the vintage bike restorers use fake battery covers with a modern battery inside, but on most of those bikes the battery is 'on display' on the side of the bike. Given that ours are usually buried in the boot under at least a cardboard cover, you can mostly only see the top anyway. A squirt of black paint on the brightly coloured plastic helps to camouflage it.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian