Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:41 pm 
848cc
848cc

hi guys did cooper s minis have any chalk id marks on them like you see on American and aussie cars or paper id tags instead cheers Darren.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:53 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Not sure what you mean exactly, but in photos of cars being assembled at BMC/Leyland in Sydney such as the Mini, you can see paperwork/checklists/stickers stuck to the windscreen during final assembly. Sometimes an original mini will still have its "paint OK" sticker hidden down beside the rear seat. Occasionally people have reported scribbles inside panels when restoring a car usually when something needed fixing.

Is this what you meant?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:16 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I think he means on the production line and as a regular occurrence...on Mustangs (for example) they are very important for provenance...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:44 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Sub frames had stenciled numbers and symbols which I have seen reproduced for concourse restorations even though barely visible once installed.

Only more Cooper S specific one I can think of is that they legally had to remove the engine no tag from the imported cooper s motors for legal reasons and they would sometimes tie the old metal tag to the motor. Very rare for it to still be there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:18 am 
1360cc
1360cc

But proof positive of a genuine car...if, someone should need to point that out :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:00 am 
848cc
848cc

thanks for the info guys I watch a show called legendary motor cars when they restore a car they mark certain parts of the inside the engine bay and they also mark gearboxes and diffs with chalk markings for concourse cars .these guys no the exact colours to paint engine bay parts under body parts etc its amazing how much info they have at hand to restore cars to exact specs back to factory condition.its a shame we don't have that info availiable for our cooper s minis .we rely a lot of info from memory etc to restore our coopers .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:25 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

mark2man wrote:
thanks for the info guys I watch a show called legendary motor cars when they restore a car they mark certain parts of the inside the engine bay and they also mark gearboxes and diffs with chalk markings for concourse cars .these guys no the exact colours to paint engine bay parts under body parts etc its amazing how much info they have at hand to restore cars to exact specs back to factory condition.its a shame we don't have that info availiable for our cooper s minis .we rely a lot of info from memory etc to restore our coopers .

It would make the job of the fakers so much easier as well :|

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

mark2man wrote:

This is why barn find cars or one owner cars that have sat untouched for decades are so valuable in that they are like a time capsule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:50 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I had my steering wheel off yesterday and noticed it had a yellow paint stripe just under the splines. I'm sure there would have been many subtle markings over the components, especially when they were making several different cars at once (Cooper S, K, Minimatic, Van, Moke etc).

The hydro bags for example had different colour stripes on them so that they could easily be identified during assembly.

Here is an example of the wide range of stuff to suit Falcons, even stencils to put all the factory markings back on...
http://grafixunlimited.com.au/ford/falc ... y_zc_zd/xy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

When my number plate flap was blasted the obvious hand-written "Cooper" became visible. It would of been upside down when mounted on the car. Anyone seen this before or have any idea of what it was for?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.