Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hello All,
To check the subframe out of the car place 2 house bricks under the rear of the subframe common points both sides, also place 1house brick at the front approx center of subframe .Level the back width of the subframe with packing material under the bricks. Use a good spirit level check twice, check again by turning the level end for end. The subframe should be exactly level at the back .Now check the front of the subframe with the level using common width points, If the subframe is not level at the front there is a twist in the subframe.Also check common diagonals with a trammel or tape measure. A small twist is common on a mini.to fix block 1 side with timber and get your mate Slacco to stand on the subframe the side where the timber is .Hit down the high side with a 14 pound hammer, 1 hit then check for level again at the front should be ok works for 9 out of 10 subframes.Slacco may bounce a bit but he will recover. My next POST will be how to check the subframe in the car .If the subframe is not correct you will have major problems fitting new front panels. I will also do a post on the correct way to fit the front panels without giving you stress,
P7676
Remember when checking frames always look for hidden damage kinks broken welds etc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

If you haven't got a Slacco, would a Yobbo do?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am 
998cc
998cc

The only comment I have is not to use house bricks to support anything.
Many years ago I had a workmate who was killed when the house bricks he used to support his Toyota Hi Ace van shattered and the van fell and crushed him.

It never ceases to amaze me that people who should know better get under cars supported by only the jack.

At the least, the easiest way to protect yourself is to get the spare wheel and place it under the car beside the jack.
This gives you some chance of not being squashed if the jack moves or collapses.

RonR