Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:25 am 
998cc
998cc

I guess this is a bit of a whinge but to my amazement I've sorted out 3 friends cars in 2 months after "professionals" have misled them or stuffed up.

1. A V6 Camry was chewing through the coolant. Toyota dealership said blown head gasket along with a huge quote to fix it. I had a look and it was a faulty radiator cap. Cost, minimal.

2. Flatmates friend left his Campervan parked out back for 3 months while overseas. I cam home and found him dejected because TWO RACV mechanics had told him the van would have to be towed because the engine had had it. I thought that was a bit odd, he drove the thing in there and it just sat for 3 months. How could the engine let go just sitting there? Cut a long story short, got the van going in less than ten minutes.

3. Friends Subaru 4 wheel drive (140,000 km) was a bit loose on the road at highway speeds. Dealership replaced parts including CV joint/ driveshaft. Friend took it back, "something is not right". They said ah, needs a wheel alignment. Had that done but still not right. Yesterday I had a look, not expecting to be able to help much but to my astonishment there is close to 1 cm play in the lower control arm bush! Blind Freddy could have seen it!

Are the RACV guys mechanics? (I'm not, self trained I suppose..). What about the dealerships, are they mechanics? How can they misdiagnose such basic stuff? What is going on...

4 synchro close ratio gbox
Cooper S brakes, no booster
Stealth box, as Doc says "goes harder and idles!"
RH tank cos I needed it crossing the Nullarbor etc..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Don't know about racv roadservice guys but you dont have to be a mechanic to work for racq.
The dealerships usually have a few mechanics and the rest juzt apprentices. I have worked for both racq and nrma and if there was a fault i didn't know what it was, I referred them to a workshop. Not take a wild stab in the dark.
Its amazing some of the diagnosis ive seen, i could write a book full.
Recent one was a an old magna referred to us for wheel alignment because of a wandering problem. Put it up on hoist and the lhf strut fell out and hung on control arm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Dealership mechanics just don't give a crap. I was an racv battery installer and we weren't mechanics but most repair guys should be. Chronically lazy on the big jobs but. They just don't want to do it.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

If I'm carrying on like a pork-chop, I'm having a great time.

If I go very quiet there's a very good chance I broke something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:26 pm 
998cc
998cc

I had a Holden Combo with a recall for aircon leaking water inside car and getting in airbag module Took it to local dealership Came back job half pulled down aircon fan has connector still unplugged Fixed by my local man.Aircon leak still happening Took it back to the dealership and was told it was coming in windshield or firewall and charged 150.00 for a no fix as it would be hard to find Wont post name against rules but they then sent me letters wanting to sell me a new car .NOPE :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:47 am 
1098cc
1098cc

We bought a new Suzuki and on it's first service (free) the apprentice bashed it into gutter and wrecked bumper/spoiler.