PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:58 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi,

Just after some guidance buying a mini, I'm looking at the following;

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 645/?Cr=12

And

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 025/?Cr=15

There seems a be a slight cost difference between Leylands and Morris Minis, Morris being slightly more expensive, what might the difference be?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Buying my first mini
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:54 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Bostokolos wrote:
Hi,

Just after some guidance buying a mini, I'm looking at the following;

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 645/?Cr=12

And

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 025/?Cr=15

There seems a be a slight cost difference between Leylands and Morris Minis, Morris being slightly more expensive, what might the difference be?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Welcome...Leyland Mini's are more modern than Austin/Morris "round nose" Minis.

Its a matter of personal preference as to what you like or buy.

The earlier car market is quite buoyant at the moment :-)

I gather you are in QLD?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:05 am 
1275cc
1275cc

The short nose mini looks like a late mini K with later clubman dash. The lift-up door handles weren't fitted to many short nose so it is relatively rare. The owner is probably trying to get back some of the restoration cost, although if it looks as good in the flesh, it is a fair bargain considering everything you are getting. Black is an unforgiving colour and will show up any ripples in the panel preparation.

The red clubman looks to be a fair bargain too. It hasn't be repainted recently but has a lot of add-ons for less.
Again personal preference.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:44 am 
1360cc
1360cc

A difference between round-nose and Clubman style Minis is the latter were being produced when Australian was introducing motor vehicle Design Rules. So things like wiper speed, windscreen demisting, heating, firmly located seats, anti-pollution engines, seat head rests, rear seat belts, etc. were progressively introduced in Clubman vehicles. Of course some of the thrill in owning and driving a round-nose without these comforts and additions is the uniqueness.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I'd recommend going along to a local club or group event and asking lots of questions - most people will be happy to show you the differences between cars and take you for a drive. They can also point out areas to check when looking at cars for sale.

Don't pay any attention to the speedo readings either unless they can back it up with 100% solid proof. They only go up to 99,999 km or miles and many have been around the clock at least once or had a replacement speedo installed (like the black car has).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Bill B wrote:
The short nose mini looks like a late mini K with later clubman dash. The lift-up door handles weren't fitted to many short nose so it is relatively rare. The owner is probably trying to get back some of the restoration cost, although if it looks as good in the flesh, it is a fair bargain considering everything you are getting. Black is an unforgiving colour and will show up any ripples in the panel preparation.

The red clubman looks to be a fair bargain too. It hasn't be repainted recently but has a lot of add-ons for less.
Again personal preference.
The Black round nose is registered with a later leyland chassis number. 021X2S1M09 29694. I would want to check it out properly before forking out $20k.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:09 pm 
998cc
998cc

"Priced to sell", "Grab yourself a bargain"? Run away....

4 synchro close ratio gbox
Cooper S brakes, no booster
Stealth box, as Doc says "goes harder and idles!"
RH tank cos I needed it crossing the Nullarbor etc..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

deluxe67 wrote:
"Priced to sell", "Grab yourself a bargain"? Run away....

I think that's just the default text that comes up on carsales when you try and sell a car. If you look at most generic used car adds you'll find most of them are the same... Just different variations of the same phrase

Quote:
Low km with only 24813 on the clock. Grab yourself a bargain now. It will come with a roadworthy certificate. Registration has been paid until May 2018.
This car is exceptional value at $12,950. The vehicle registration is paid for the next 7 months until May 2018.

Quote:
16120 km on the clock only. Vehicle registration paid until October 2018. It is priced to sell quickly at $20,000. Roadworthy certificate included so you don't have the headaches of getting one yourself.

E.g.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 238/?Cr=15
Quote:
Only traveled 41,232km. The registration is paid for the next 7 months until June 2018. It will come with a roadworthy certificate. It represents great value at $25,500.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 225/?Cr=16
Quote:
It is exceptional value at $19,500. It comes with a roadworthy certificate, has had new tyres recently fitted and copies of full service history available. Registration paid until September 2018.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 418/?Cr=21
Quote:
This car represents great value at $73,990. Will come with a complete roadworthy certificate. Vehicle registration paid until Sep 2018.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 993/?Cr=37
Quote:
It will come with a roadworthy certificate. It is exceptional value at $28,000. The registration is paid for the next 6 months until Apr 2018.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 174/?Cr=35
Quote:
It will come with a complete roadworthy certificate and the vehicle registration is paid until July 2018. This car is priced to sell quickly at $34,000.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:15 pm 
998cc
998cc

Basically they're the same car... the black one is advertised to have more stuff (1380 engine etc should provide more performance) but is much dearer.

Neither of them is an original, sought after model so the only real difference is the actual physical condition of each car (which doesn't show in the photos) which is up to you (or your expert) to determine from an actual examination ... Then there's your particular view as to whether you prefer the round or square nose appearance ...and whether the additions offered by the more expensive car are what you want and whether you're prepared to pay for them...

My view??? I think I'd be happy with the red one and the 8K available to spend to further personalise it with things I might like...

But without a close inspection, who knows if either is as shiny as it looks...

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:41 pm 
848cc
848cc

Quote:
Welcome...Leyland Mini's are more modern than Austin/Morris "round nose" Minis.

Its a matter of personal preference as to what you like or buy.

The earlier car market is quite buoyant at the moment :-)

I gather you are in QLD?

Cheers, yes located in QLD.

I'll have it inspected by RACQ prior to purchase.
Have taken the black one for a test drive, runs well and very clean. Not a fan of the drum brakes.

I'll be looking at using the car on a daily basis for a short commute - any opinions on this - would it be reliable enough given regular maintenance etc?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:09 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Bostokolos wrote:

Cheers, yes located in QLD.

I'll have it inspected by RACQ prior to purchase.
Have taken the black one for a test drive, runs well and very clean. Not a fan of the drum brakes.

I'll be looking at using the car on a daily basis for a short commute - any opinions on this - would it be reliable enough given regular maintenance etc?

Are you saying the Black one with a 1380cc has drums on the front? It should have front disk brakes as the 1275cc minis had to have them.

The increase in engine size may need approval. Depending on how the car "model" is interpereted. As this car is still a 1977 Leyland, ADR27a emission controls still apply.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safe ... .pdf?la=en
https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safe ... .pdf?la=en

"Replacement Engines
Replacement engines that are offered by the manufacturer as an optional engine for that model of vehicle may be fitted without specific approval. For such conversions, all components, including suspension and brakes, must be identical to those of a vehicle originally produced with the optional engine."

"Fuel Systems
Non-standard fuel delivery systems, such as multiple and/or replacement carburettors, or fuel injection system components may be fitted without specific approval provided the vehicle continues to comply with the emission requirements of the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) applicable at the vehicle’s date of manufacture and does not increase the engine power by more than 20%."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:50 am 
848cc
848cc

Something odd going on with the 'roundie'... It is clearly a Leyland with earlier front panels fitted (OK, not unusual in itself), but even the QLD rego database shows it as being registered as a 71. The chassis number is for a 77-78, and I'm fairly sure it should be '021X2S1', not '021XZS1'.

Sapphire Blue Deluxe spread across three parts cars, two sheds and a driveway...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Matt I wrote:
Something odd going on with the 'roundie'... It is clearly a Leyland with earlier front panels fitted (OK, not unusual in itself), but even the QLD rego database shows it as being registered as a 71. The chassis number is for a 77-78, and I'm fairly sure it should be '021X2S1', not '021XZS1'.
The seller has confirmed the car is a 77 Leyland with 71 panels etc. The Z and 2 are just the usual transport dept/ inspector mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:54 am 
1098cc
1098cc

The black one was on eBay and came up sold for just over 11000