Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Engineers and tradesmen
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:12 pm 
998cc
998cc

I am an electronics tech that excelled .We fixed TVs in the old days .My mate from five year old did the same .He could not handle general public and became an engineer at a local TV station We are soul mates . I learnt to realise I could deal with people and continued my trade but did cars drumming music .Greg could not and became an engineer with no uni skills .
Engineers are not uni students They are people that focus on one thing .Many good helpful people here and ive been through a hard time that only close friends know.I respect and have had some good interaction. :P Well done work Maybe more to come.
These dellorto screws better come loose Ill heat em freeze em WD lol Ive seen dills out of uni and tradesmen that are engineers .NOT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 am 
998cc
998cc

Engineers are alot like scientists however have the mantra of making it work. Engineers go to Uni for 4years to start learning the best of 1000's of years of research, development and success, without extra knowledge (like reading engineering books), pulling apart electronics for a whole lifetime wont get you close to being an engineer. Challenges for Engineers come in creating puerile knowledge and having it work in the wider environment (and marketing BS.) Tradesmen learn much of the design intent of engineers and apply them to the real world, their challenge is applying one solution to another circumstance (and marketing BS).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 am 
Bimmer Twinky

Some "Engineers" can work-out the spcific gravity of Vegemite But can`t open the lid :-)

no offence to anyone meant, but some Engineers will tell you how much they know (& go on & on about it) but are totally useless at diagnosing/spannering, so i say """Step away from the vehicle""" :-) :-) :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:21 am 
religious status
religious status

I once had the misfortune to rebuild an S motor previously owned by an aeronautical engineer. He attempted to line bore the block himself. What a mess he did.
He should have stuck to aeronautics....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:03 am 
998cc
998cc

Well for good or bad it was engineers that designed the A series and the line boring machine you'd use to fix it.

My 1950's mill has closer tolerances then machines we make today using high tech equipment! So I wonder if the design, computational power, material availability has dropped? Must be something else, are modern machines are better? they have "made for Australian conditions" and "built tough to last longer" or some other weasel words in the description.

You know when your buying something from an engineering company, it has the specifications at the front, when it's from a marketing company it has the specifications at the back if you're lucky.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:33 am 
998cc
998cc

My mate has almost completed a computer engineering degree.He said at Tafe and your trade you learn how thing work or you cant do your job.He said his uni course taught why things work.He previously did the same trade course as me.