Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:15 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey all.

I've recently been having some real problems with my 77 Clubman Mini. I'm thinking that the steering rack is getting worse and worse, and it's a real bitch to drive. Currently it's sitting in front of a mate's house, tempting thieves. The rego is due soon (couple of days), and I can afford to pay it, but I'm having a really hard time selling it too, because of the pretty bad rust in a lot of the panels, floorpan and sills.

I've had it for almost a year, and it's been a ripper little car for that time, albeit with a few issues. There's so much work to do on it it's not funny (3 panels at least need replacing, brakes are pretty crap, steering problems, carb needs re-conditioning, etc etc), and I can't be arsed doing it. I'm currently saving for another car, and would like to see this thing out of the way.

So, do I pay the rego, and try to sell it for $300-$400, or do I pass the rego up, and dismantle the car for parts and get the body towed for scrap? Does anyone know what a scrapper will give me for a car body?

Also it's got some decent enough parts. Dash is pretty good, seats are ok, trim is good, engine is actually ok, carb would be good with a once-over, oldskool 10" factory mags (heh). But it really has the cancer when it comes to the body.

When the car was running and had a nice stereo in it, I was having problems selling it, and that was with 6 months rego, and I was only asking $800 or so for it. This is what makes me think that it'd be an even bigger pain to try and sell it ****ed up, but still rego'd.

So what do I do, dismantle it and try to re-coup some costs? Or renew the rego and hope someone buys it for $300-$400 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:23 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

It's sad to hear that there is passion for some minis and not others.
If you waited and waited i am sure there would be someone that would love your car, but it all comes down to when.
You would have no problems selling all the parts if you broke them all up. I myself, and many other people on here, would be able to clean out your car and by then you would have got more than (say) 400 for the car even if you did redo the rego.

Up to you mate... hope it all goes well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

Talking to a few people, and taking my experiences of trying to sell it over the last month or so into account, I'm fairly certain that unless Minicraft will take it off my hands for an ok price, I'll be splitting it up. So, what are the main things to take off and clean up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

i would buy it for $400, but ur too far away dude.

Whats rego worth over there? Here you cant reg a car for less than $600!! Plus, a rusty car like that would never get rego in Sydney!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:39 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

•Start ripping everything out from the inside.
•Be very careful not to tear things... especially headlining.
•Group parts together and label them and keep the nuts and bolts and screws from each part separate.
•Don't yank at things just because theyre a bit stiff; gentle persuasion will enable it to come out with little damage.
•Oh yeah, and don't forget to take some photos while ure doing it all to sell the stuff faster. People love to see what they are buying.
•Have a few (cases of) beers throughout the process and be sure to bank the money pocketed from the wrecking.

Good luck mate and once u have everything dismantled, post up a list and mark each one SOLD as you sell them off
eg.
1 Headlining (white, good condition) $40
4 Alloys (10*5) SOLD

You'll get the hang of it :)

Will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

Rego is worth $200 renewal fee. In WA, there is no inspection, DMV just sends a letter and you pay it at the post office. They send you out a rego sticker, and hey presto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

break it and ebay the parts. I'll buy some. I need a mirror and I want the grille and lights

You are lucky with the rego...NO INSPECTION :shock: thats pretty cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

Could I get a wrecker to collect the body eventually if it's got no wheels? It's got a great set of 10" factory mags :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

And it's a 998 LS, so it's got the LS 3 guage dash with tacho.. anyone know what these go for these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:46 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

998 LS... i recall they have drums all round don't they?
Ohh. if only they had discs, i'd snap them up real fast!
Depending on the condition of the 3guage pod, they go for around the 50 dollar mark; seeing the ones on ebay and such. You might get a bit more.

One thing i would like... the black vinyl that wraps around the back of the firewall on the inside that covers that fibrous crap.
If you got that, i'd grab all of the black vinyl stuff from the front that would be excellent :)
Also, get some pics up as soon as u can :twisted: ( I like the sound of the wheels - for a spare set )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

Yeah, the 998 LS had drums all around, unfortunately.

And the wheels are in pretty good nick. Could do with a lick of paint or something but couldn't everything :)

I guess I'll start sizing up what I can take off the car easily. For instance, taking the motor out might be a bit of a bastard :)

Cool. If i could sell the guages and so on for $50, a few other bits and bobs, the wheels, it'd be worth my while. I guess that magic dollar mark is $200 - i wouldn't get more than $400 I dont think if I sold it licenced, and if i don't spend that $200 on the rego, $200 is all I need to get back some losses from the thing.

This sounds like the way to go, so look out for the thread in 'for sale' - I'll post everything here with pictures before putting it on eBay. Even if I could get more for it there, I'd prefer to sell stuff on here. eBay is such a pain in the arse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:20 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Exactly. And with ebay you have to pay listing fees, bla bla bla. Did you have that black vinyl stuff that wraps around the dash? I need all of those pieces. Would be excellent if you did.

Yeah post up what you can get out of the **** and we'll take it from there 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:08 am 
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

there's no inspection is SA aswell.. :)

$150 and your registered for 3 months

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:37 am 
848cc
848cc

Ok guys, the parts thread is here :

http://ausmini.tziworld.com/viewtopic.php?p=8689#8689

Won't be able to really rip into the strip-down until later this week but let me know if there's anything you want and I'll check it/reserve it for you.

Cheers dudes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:10 pm 
848cc
848cc

PM sent dude :wink: