Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: grille fit 1970 cs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 pm 
998cc
998cc

About a month ago I had a look at a good cs at the time I noticed the grille and moustache mould did not fit well. Today I fitted mine, the job took about 4 hours. When I was an apprentice panelbeater it would take me about 10 mins. The problem is the moustache mould needs to be modified also the grille needs a bit of a bend. Suppose it depends how fussy you are. I fitted a new front apron and both guards maybe these panels are not as good as the originals. The grille and moustache now fit spot on. So if you have this problem work out what is wrong and you may have to do a bit of careful grinding on the edge of the moustache mould. I would like to see how well they fitted when they were new, I also had to put a packer behind the grille to allow clearance for the oil cooler.FYI
Allen

Post subject: Re: grille fit 1970 cs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:34 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

p7676 wrote:
I also had to put a packer behind the grille to allow clearance for the oil cooler.FYI Allen

Spacers were a standard factory feature on the Cooper S for the reason you've identified.

http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83213

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:00 pm 
religious status
religious status

I found aftermarket moustaches fit poorly compared to originals. I was lucky enough to find 2 nos ones sitting inside a mate's MK 2 S project. They were unchromed but we fixed that. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:12 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

24A1152 Grill distance piece.

Just wondering if anyone has the dimensions of this part.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:15 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

cooperess wrote:

The BMC engineering drawing says 7/16" diameter, 1/4" high with 9/64" diameter hole. Made from high density polythene.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Minikingdomonline have the listed in metal for $2.00 each.

https://minikingdomonline.com.au/produc ... etal-type/

From what I can recall they are also the same dimension as the spacers under the carpet clips
Cheers
Rod

1967 New British Racing Green Mk1 Cooper S, 1967 Lake Green 1275 MG Midget, 1969 Jet Red / Crystal White Mk2 Cooper S, 1972 Gambier Turquoise Clubman GT (ex police), 1972 Camino Gold Clubman GT, 2009 JCW Challenge Edition, Megane RS265, Clio RS220.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

rodmac wrote:
Minikingdomonline have the listed in metal for $2.00 each.

https://minikingdomonline.com.au/produc ... etal-type/

From what I can recall they are also the same dimension as the spacers under the carpet clips
Cheers
Rod

Wonderful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I posted exactly the same problem/question about 3 months ago.
I tried 3 new ones, even grinding back the edges on one to get a neater fit but found out the material wasn't stainless but chrome, and it still didn't fit.
A friend lent me 7 used original ones - only 1 got close to fitting but needed rechroming and most of them are too thin to rechrome.
Ended with a Mini Spares one that 'sort of' fits if you don't look too closely. At least the bottom ends joined the 2 finish moulds neatly.
All my other minis have the cowherd pop-rivetted to the body. This one has to be carefully screwed just so far to not cause another part to distort out of alignment.
It is meant to be "chrome-on-brass", which used to be on a steel shell, but this one was not magnetic, so I don't know whether it is a stainless material or actually chrome-on-brass (no steel).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 am 
848cc
848cc

winabbey wrote:
cooperess wrote:

The BMC engineering drawing says 7/16" diameter, 1/4" high with 9/64" diameter hole. Made from high density polythene.

Hi
I still have some Grill Spacers left that are made to the above spec and polythene
Sold some to Australia about two weeks ago.
Also used as carpet fixing spacers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:53 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Firefirey wrote:
winabbey wrote:
cooperess wrote:

Hi
I still have some Grill Spacers left that are made to the above spec and polythene
Sold some to Australia about two weeks ago.
Also used as carpet fixing spacers.
Hi, How many do you have and price including postage to NSW.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:29 pm 
998cc
998cc

Grille spacers are not the problem they are easy to make. Read what Bill B said, you can buy the moustache mould chrome on brass .Mine now fits perfect you put tape on the mould where it touches the panel then slowly grind the mould downwards so you don't lift the edge of the chrome use a fine alu oxide stone on a drill, finish with a block and suitable alu oxide paper. EASY. If you damage the chrome take it to an electroplater to be rechromed they love doing brass they will triple plate the mould approx. $80.
The cost is in the polishing.I have got parts chromed numerous times on Morgans Caddys,RR Jags ,etc
Allen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm 
The Mini King

Does anyone Know how many times the factory changed the shape and materials
on the Mini grille surround?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:06 am 
1275cc
1275cc

John Smidt wrote:

Were there any aftermarket suppliers making copies of the surround in the period when genuine ones were freely available? Could that account for the variations?

As well as the problems that p7676 also had getting the surround to fit flush to the body, the main problem I had with so many samples I tried was that if the top of the surround sat close to the top edge of the bonnet close panel, the 2 ends finished far too high and would never line up with the "whiskers" under the blinker lamps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:37 am 
The Mini King

Bill B wrote:
John Smidt wrote:

Were there any aftermarket suppliers making copies of the surround in the period when genuine ones were freely available? Could that account for the variations?

As well as the problems that p7676 also had getting the surround to fit flush to the body, the main problem I had with so many samples I tried was that if the top of the surround sat close to the top edge of the bonnet close panel, the 2 ends finished far too high and would never line up with the "whiskers" under the blinker lamps.

The earlier model grille surround sat over the top of the grille panel in the center section, from memory there was the early type, then a narrow type made from steel and chrome plated the next type was a narrow type made of stainless steel.

I have been told the very early type was made of brass, I have never seen one, but that is not to say they were not made, I know some very early door hinges were made of brass so it is possible that the grille surround
was made in brass as well.

I had grille surrounds made in the late 60's in Australia, as the new price at the time was very high, the ones I had made and still do, were made of steel & chrome plated, and they fit over the top lip of the grille panel, as most Mini's did until around some time in 1967