Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Mini land

Been working with my teenage kids in getting a Clubman S up and running and close to ready for paint. I intend to put the car on Vic Permit ‘H’ plates and have myself and the kids enjoy the car over the next few years.

As for the power plant I was a thinking about putting a clubman GT (police pack) engine in the car that I have had sitting under the bench for a while and bolting on extractors and twin 1 1/2 SUs (as was on the police GT).

So please help me. When is a performance modification not a modification for the purposes of my mini being P plate legal? The clubmans came out with a 1275 so therefore I can put a 1275 in my ‘S’ pack right? ... do the extractors have to be factory issue or can they be any extractors? Would the mods to a police engine be considered ‘factory’ or after market modifications.

Surely someone out there has worked through these issues and hopefully you find the time to help me out.

Cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

65 mark 3 AH Sprite (weekend driver)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

You have to mount a case with:
the club you asking to issue an H permit.
The licenced vehicle tester who is issuing a roadworthy
The company who is issuing you with your insurance policy.
Each of them will have their own interpretation of the rules.
Ultimately you will only have a permit to drive the vehicle on the road that is not registered that may at any time be withdrawn.
VicRoads p plate regulations are another issue entirely.
If an individual VicRoads officer deems your vehicle to be modified then that’s it VicRoads as an organisation will support that officers interpretation implicitly.
When temp fate if all you want to do is have fun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

With those mods and p platers driving it, I'd of thought finding insurance is going to be a big ask....
VicRoads will ask why the engine numbers don't match. They did with me (1275 into '67 Deluxe). I told them the old engine was worn out. They were satisfied with that (but I didn't say it was a 1275). Oddly, he didn't question the 45 Weber hanging off it.
However, I did tell the Insurance company about everything modded (a lot). I highly doubt they would insure it if I was 18!

4 synchro close ratio gbox
Cooper S brakes, no booster
Stealth box, as Doc says "goes harder and idles!"
RH tank cos I needed it crossing the Nullarbor etc..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:08 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

In case it helps, the Police Specification for the Clubman GT (SPO28) is documented in the Clubman Parts Catalogue PUB1052 (extract page below). This may be of use when you submit that the power plant was BMC factory fitted to a similar vehicle to yours.

The original pressed metal extractors are no longer available new and are hard to get (and pricey) so I wouldn't think there would be a problem using an equivalent aftermarket version.

All the other cautionary notes made by others above should be considered. Some people follow the "full disclosure" model whilst others use a more common-sense approach to things that they don't consider especially relevant in the circumstances. You need to do your own risk assessment.

Good luck.

Attachment:
SPO 28 v3.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43