Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: paint on mini
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:57 pm 
998cc
998cc

Just to inform you if you paint a mini use a 2 pack epoxy undercoat and 2 pack paint sprayed in a booth, paint made up to the correct formula ,choice of how many coats is up to you Remember the paint finish is off the gun so spray technique is important. Another tip if you use body filler use the soft type body filler for a number of reasons.
P7676 I have not seen many Minis that have been painted correctly.

Post subject: Re: paint on mini
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:51 am 
998cc
998cc

p7676 wrote:
Just to inform you if you paint a mini use a 2 pack epoxy undercoat and 2 pack paint sprayed in a booth, paint made up to the correct formula ,choice of how many coats is up to you Remember the paint finish is off the gun so spray technique is important. Another tip if you use body filler use the soft type body filler for a number of reasons.

Oh?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 am 
848cc
848cc

Surely a “correctly” painted mini is relative!

My mini came from the factory in red oxide primer, so a person may argue that because I’m using a 2k epoxy primer it’s “incorrect”.

Personal choice, oem finish, available equipment, cost all contribute to what the owner of the car deems “correct”.

My 2c :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:34 pm 
religious status
religious status

My son is about to paint his fully stripped $350 eBay clubby with yacht paint, brushed on over POR15.
Will be interesting to see. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:36 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

drmini in aust wrote:
My son is about to paint his fully stripped $350 eBay clubby with yacht paint, brushed on over POR15.
Will be interesting to see. :)

... and the winged keel should keep it stable at speed. :wink:

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 pm 
998cc
998cc

p7676 wrote:

2 pack gives an excellent finish , but it looks a bit too shiny IMHO , almost like a plastic finish ,but a good choice for trailer queens and little used cars . For us guys that like to use our minis a bit acrylic is a good choice , any minor chips and scratches can be easily repaired , its also a helluva lot cheaper and doesn't require any special equipment or spray booths , just about anyone can achieve an excellent finish at home in the garage , with a bit of practice and patience . I know most spray painters hate it , probably because they are missing out on the business if people do it themselves. There's nothing wrong with acrylic , after all , a lot of cars were painted with it originally ,including minis , and I have seen many with original paint , still in excellent condition after 40-50 years , but really its up to the individual to decide which they prefer and whether they can afford the high cost of a professional job or do it themselves . If you only have one car then I guess go for the professional job if you can afford it , but I have 8 minis , a Morris 1100S and 2 Falcons(XD XE)
I have painted many cars over the years and always get a great sense of satisfaction on doing the job myself :D

1977 Leyland LS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:02 pm 
998cc
998cc

AJ just to let you know it is illegal to paint acrylic lacquer unless the car or panel is in a spray booth. Read the EPA regulations also the MVRIA would be very concerned. Anyhow do what you like ,you should know the how bad paint is, lucky your neighbor's don't complain.
P7676

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

Can you post a link to the relevant EPA regulations?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:50 pm 

p7676 wrote:
AJ just to let you know it is illegal to paint acrylic lacquer unless the car or panel is in a spray booth. Read the EPA regulations also the MVRIA would be very concerned. Anyhow do what you like ,you should know the how bad paint is, lucky your neighbor's don't complain.
P7676

I'm calling BS on your claims. According to the NSW EPA and Safe Work NSW you can even paint two pack outside as long as you follow the guidelines.

See...
http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/licensing-and-regulation/licensing/environment-protection-licences/authorised-officers/safety-inspecting-spray-painting-prems/spray-painting-and-surface-coating

http://www.safework.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/52159/spray-painting-and-powdercoating-code-of-practice-July-2015-3956.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:54 am 
848cc
848cc

p7676 wrote:
P7676

In which state?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:14 am 

8700s14 wrote:
In which state?

A state of delusion. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:52 pm 
998cc
998cc

Technical Data Sheet 339 Acrylic Lacquer PAGE 3 Designed for the refinishing of Motor Vehicles
Health and Safety
Contains highly flammable solvents .Keep away from all sources of heat and open flames.Do not smoke whilst handling. Wear suitable protective clothing to Avoid contact with skin and eyes and AVOID breathing vapour.Do not spray in confined or poorly ventillated areas WITHOUT the use of APPROVED AIR SUPPLIED BREATHING APPARATUS.
Consult separate Material Safety Data Sheet for more Health snd Safety Information

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 pm 

So you can't spray in a small booth unless you are wearing a breathing apparatus. Got it.

No mention of well ventilated areas like a shed or outside.

Still waiting for your EPA regulations.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:04 pm 
998cc
998cc

Still checking for EPA regs I have sent an email to work safe aust, the motor vehicle repair industry authority is now under fair trading .Seems like they are only interested in workshop compliance .Anyhow I am working on it .I will send an email to my local council. I have seen spray painters that have lung problems in the days before 2 pack. Like the brake mechanics who just blew off the brake dust every day when working on brake components, Not many of them left.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:50 pm 

I have already posted links to the NSW EPA and Safe Work NSW.

Lots of spray painting goes on outdoors in industry. You were clearly wrong.