Ausmini
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

northwelshman wrote:
Forgive me, I'm something of a newbie...

I might have access to a mini cooper S mk2 in bits. Circa 1960s. Body is good - no dings and only a light covering of rust. Needs to be sandblasted and painted. Engine might need an overhaul - don't know yet. I'm told all the bits are there but I don't think the compliance plates are, lets assume they aren't...So it might be considered just a "replica" rather than an original mk2 when finished.

Obviously many people restore minis as a labour of love, I get that, but if I were to pay to have it restored - i.e. get it painted and pay someone to assemble it, do you think I will end up with something worth at least as much as what it cost me to have it restored? I don't plan to sell it, but I am curious to know if I had to sell - would I would have much chance of recouping my costs..?

A compliance plate missing is a pain, but not the end of the world...if you can establish the identity of the car through other means you will be OK (and you may be able to out a faker using your plate!)

With any restoration, if you can't do the majority of the work yourself, you need to clearly state what sort of work you want done and how much you are prepared to pay (within certain limits). Then establish a basis for doing the work and rules for handling "un-expected" work.

Beware of people who proudly boost they have the lowest hourly rates...it is usually just a ploy to get your business and ohhhh by the way, it means nothing if you are getting work done by a novice, lowest priority in the workshop or worse, a ham-fisted dope :roll:

You are now officially forgiven for being a newbie...but add your location to your profile to allow locals to help or advice.

Pictures would be nice :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

Classic Mini Vans (and of course utes) are also well worth restoring - their numbers are dwindling (for ones in salvageable condition) and sale prices have been steadily going up.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fyshwic ... 1169467092
http://minisport.com.au/morrisaround-no ... van-1275cc

1978 Rover SD1 V8 (4.6)
1996 Land Rover Discovery V8 (4.0)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

Ok so it's definitely a mk2 cooper s..the numbers on the radiator cowl and inside the engine bay check out, and all the other things to look for as shown on classic register are there. it's not a low number so it should have a compliance plate...just trying to see if we can find it amongst all the bits. if we cant sounds like no biggy as a few of you have mentioned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:50 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Are there four holes in the correct position for the compliance plate?

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:57 am 
848cc
848cc

Read this thread with great interest as I bought my Cooper S 20ish years ago and it's missing a compliance plate. Everything else checks out, even down to the fuel pump breather lug which even survived having the body blasted despite my ignorance at the time. It was registered as 2/70 and body number fits this range in the MK2 register.

It's in pieces, completely stripped down, needing new front guards and apron with rust having been cut out by a mini workshop many years ago. The project has started and stopped many times, always stalling due to the cost of having the body work done - with a young family there always seems to be greater priorities with finances.

The missing compliance plate adds to this as I worry it would never be worth the money spent on restoring it.

I am reasonably handy, but don't have the skills to tackle the body work myself and being a Cooper S don't think it's the car to try and learn on. In the last twelve months I was advised "at least $25K" by a body shop to return the car painted.

I would so love to get this underway again. I now have the time, and a budget of ~ $15K to complete the body work/paint.

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to share their skills and assist in welding new panels, checking the rust repairs and providing guidance with as much prep work as possible to reduce the overall cost of spraying and would can this realistically be done within a $15K budget (body work & spraying only). I would do all the grunt work under guidance. I am based near Chatswood in Sydney but would travel to get this underway.

Would really appreciate any help that could be provided.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

winabbey wrote:
Are there four holes in the correct position for the compliance plate?

Just checked - yes there is. Will hunt around for the compliance plate next week and see if it turns up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

If it's an early '69 Mk2 Chassis YG2S4 xxxx. Probably doesn't have a compliance plate.
Talking about cost, I have not bothered to add up what I have spent. It's off to the sandblasters on Monday and panel and paint after that. That's $10,600.00 plus just for that. Thinking about other stuff I've done over the years, probably add another $10,000.00. And it's no where near completion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:10 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

northwelshman wrote:
it's not a low number so it should have a compliance plate..

As a matter of interest I have got the ADR Plate start point down to between car 1417 and 1425.