Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

As titled, I have a Smiths 90MPH Centre Speedo and I cant find any information on how to remove the centre needle. From all research it appears that it is just pressed on, but I've tried levering underneath it (gently) and it seems to be on very tight (for a speedo needle). I don't want to break anything. Theres a few small screws that appear obvious to dismantle further, but the only way to get to them is to take off the dial face, which is obstructed by the needle.

Anything?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

There are youtube videos on dismantling Smiths speedos. The needle is simply lifted off, as you say. One of the videos shows 2 small screwdrivers used on either side of the spindle. Try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG6-KpkVbsA

There are some details on here about installing the needle again and how to align it with little marks on the speedo to get an approximately accurate reading.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:17 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

If you move the needle you'll notice a disc bit at back moving, mark it in 0mph position to ensure it goes back on the same position. Then turn needle to about 30-40mph, put one finger on the disc bit to stop it turning and carefully twist needle off like you're taking cork out bottle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:09 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the replies. Shortly, after I posted I was able to twist it off via the method Peter mentioned.

I didn't mark 0 MPH so I fitted the needle to the marker indicated on the dial face, it seems to be fine.

I'm after a rear magnet pick up if anyone has one lying around they don't want.

It appears my worm drive is worn on the face, and is able to play. This causes my needle to have subsequent play, and rattle - and it drives me insane. My magnetic pickup is pressed on with rivets, so I'm after a replacement magnetic end that has less play.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:14 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

This is the previous discussion about speedos - very helpful to know.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95341&hilit=speedo+stop#p1020108