Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi All,
I'm gradually working through all my mini's little problems to get it on the road again. It's my first and in hindsight I rushed in to buy it without the proper knowledge at the time. I've put lots of new parts in and she'll be a good little car when I'm done, but one thing bothers me constantly, will I be able to get it registered? The reason for concern is that, and I didn't know at the time, it's a UK built mini 1000 going from the chassis number and as such it does not have an Australian compliance plate like other cars built here. I never assumed it could not be aussie built. I hear all different horror stories about blue slips and engineers certificates and all that but I don't have too many facts about the situation. I would love some reassurance from someone in the know. A few point I can think of:

Seatbelts - Has Retractors in the front, none in the rear but I want to put them in, engineering involved I'd say.

Car Clubs - I'm in one, but they are strict with what mods are not acceptabe for historic rego, they say any body mod (Hole cut to fit RH tank eg) wont pass then I'll need a blueslip, identity check, weighbridge, engineer etc etc, don't want to go down that road yet. It is apparently an import but when and by whom I have no clue. Or can they just give it a number or something??
I can join another car club and get it on historic with less rigorous inspections which I might do.

Surely there are other imported cars on the road of that era with no aussie compliance plate on them.

It has a Radiator number, a chassis number XA2S1 (mini 1000), and engine number and a number very roughly stamped into the firewall which seems to resemble the chassis number. I think it's a '72 model, should I try to pass it as a '71 so there's less trouble with seatbelt laws and such?

Scott me worried anyway.

I'm in the Hunter Valley NSW area.

Photos and info in my previous post here

http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95872&start=15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:45 am 
1360cc
1360cc

I would maybe discuss the car's issues or take it along to these fellas for an opinion on what to do:

Australian Mini Cooper
3 / 8 Ketch Close,
BERKELEY VALE, NSW, 2261
Tel: (02) 4388 9059
Fax: (02) 4388 4201
Email: ozcooper@primus.com.au

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:49 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Given its Pre-1989. Compliancing is not needed.

I believe it should be just a blue slip and rego like any Australian built mini.
May need import papers.

Just ask the blueslip man what he requires

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:10 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The pre 1989 info is here: https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/ ... cheme.aspx

You will need a clearly stamped identification number in the body. It might help if you can get a BMC heritage cert from the UK with the body number and the build date on it

Other imported cars may have been registered and on the road for a long time and never gone through the import process we have now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

Has it ever been registered in Australia before?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:11 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Bubbacluby wrote:
Given its Pre-1989. Compliancing is not needed.

I believe it should be just a blue slip and rego like any Australian built mini.
May need import papers.

Just ask the blueslip man what he requires

Depending on a whole raft of spurious interpretations by the person you might be lucky or unlucky enough to encounter at the counter!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Guys,

Yes it is pre '89 but I have no import papers or any idea where to look. I was told that it used to be registered but enquired at the RTA with no luck, the VIN is not the current standard number like modern cars so hard to find in their system. I wonder would it have to comply with Aus standards at the time of manufacture ie seatbelts in the back, demisters (another thing I thought of) etc.

I have emailed the British Heritage mob and they've given me a build date, I could pay for the whole certificate but records of this period are crap and it may not tell me any more than the build date anyway. There is no number visible on the scuttle panel under the windscreen but it has a radiator number FE#####, the XA2S1N chassis number (and what I think is the same number stamped into the firewall which has been wire wheeled)

perhaps I should just go with the club rego if they go easy on me then get the car sorted well then go for the whole blue slip and identity check deal.
Honestly how different is it from an Aussie Mini?? Not much.

Say I found a good blue slip guy who passed it then it was full rego, I guess then I could go and get the seatbelt engineering done while it's rego'd. Once it's passed blue slip can they then change their mid at any point? It'd probably be right as long as I kept it registered and didn't need another blue slip...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

As the rego requirements will be determined by the build date the best place to start would be to contact the Dept of Infrastructure in Canberra. You can provide them with the Chassis Number and they will confirm if an Import Approval was ever issued for the car. The IA will show the year of manufacture from whomever applied for it.

Once you know this then what is required for rego should be easier to work out by simply looking at the relevant ADR’s.

The other option would be the heritage certificate. It may cost you money but could well save you a lot more as you may end up doing work that is not required due to the build date.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:56 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

If you need to find out if it was regoed, you possibly need a request for information form or archives search. It doesn't have to be a proper Australian compliance number as they came in later anyway. The RMS might know it as a GIPA request (government information public access) it cost me $30 I think and I got the results about 2 weeks later. The results will have any personal information removed like who used to own it etc. It took me a heap of visits to find out that you could ask for those records, I had similar problems as I couldn't provide a compliance number as it was before that and the records were too old to be on the system. Try to figure out which state it might have been registered in our when it was imported as the more info you can give the narrower the search and the less it's likely to cost you, if the search takes more than the $30 buys you you can be asked for more if I remember correctly...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks guys,

Ozcooper, is the IA simply to establish the build date or import date? What if it was imported but never complianced? Although they said it was registered at some point. I have the email from Motor Museum stating build date 7/3/1972 and they said the only other number recorded for the mk3 mini's is the engine number of 294960 (engine is different now). On their website the say they only have records for :
Mini 1959-69 ADO 15 versions - Austin, Morris, Mini Cooper
Mini 1977-1981 ADO 20 versions badged Mini (Longbridge build)

If they had the records and could produce a certificate with build date, would that suffice in place of the IA certificate?
I assume, get heritage certificate to confirm build date, go through blue slip and ADR requirements for that build date??

Previous rego evidence would get me a long way I think, but not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am 
848cc
848cc

The build date is the date that decides which ADR’s are applicable so via a Heritage Certificate is ok however if it has never been registered in Aust before then you will need an IA or confirmation that one was issued.

As you’re saying it’s a 1972 model it will need to meet 1972 rules, which were quite basic. These are known as Second Edition ADR’s and more info on them can be found here -

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/ ... _adrs.aspx

The RH column shows the introduction date so any introduced in 1972 or earlier are applicable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:10 am 
Yay For Hay!

Assuming you're not the one that brought it into Australia, that number stamped into the firewall is likely to have been done by someone so that they could get it registered. Numbers must be stamped into the body in Australia to be valid for rego. Have you tried doing a PPSR check on the numbers? https://transact.ppsr.gov.au/ppsr/QuickVINSearch?si=2

If you do want full rego on it, front up to RTA with it as-is and an innocent look on your face, otherwise join the other car club. In Vic we just do a statutory declaration to say that we own it and it's been registered before and off we go

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 am 
848cc
848cc

simon k wrote:

If you do want full rego on it, front up to RTA with it as-is and an innocent look on your face

This. Nobody at the RTA is going to know anything about mini ID. They'll see the number, be happy with it and most likely register it for you.

If it was a car that was unusual to be seen on our roads and clearly imported it may attract more attention, but a mini should breeze through. Tell them the previous owner had i registered interstate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

ben73 wrote:
simon k wrote:

If you do want full rego on it, front up to RTA with it as-is and an innocent look on your face

This. Nobody at the RTA is going to know anything about mini ID. They'll see the number, be happy with it and most likely register it for you.

If it was a car that was unusual to be seen on our roads and clearly imported it may attract more attention, but a mini should breeze through. Tell them the previous owner had i registered interstate.

OK, but the rta is the last step in the process isn't it? First I'll have to get it sorted with all ADR type stuff, get the heritage cert so it has a manufacture date or previou rego history, then go for a blue slip and surely they would know what they're looking at more than the rta and pick me up on something? The firewall number loosely resembles the chassis number but its rough as, I think it's the same number. Seems like as it's been wire wheeled it looks like thats something they do upon import at customs to uncover the number. And the PPSR search shows up nothing as it's not a modern VIN format.

Last edited by hpal on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

ozcooper wrote:
The build date is the date that decides which ADR’s are applicable so via a Heritage Certificate is ok however if it has never been registered in Aust before then you will need an IA or confirmation that one was issued.

As you’re saying it’s a 1972 model it will need to meet 1972 rules, which were quite basic.

The mini has low back seats like say a mid 60's deluxe which were I think standard in England at the time, they were a bit behind us in safety. So to meet ADR2 I assume I'll need headrest type seats but not sure what will fit. In the end some nice leather seats out of an Alfa GTV or something would be the go and get them engineered with the rear seatbelts (similar setup to Morbo's mini).

Demister's. It has the fresh air type setup, just a hose coming into the car with no fan, need to find the demister vents to put in and duct it up or put an electric heater/demister of some sort in.

Rear seatbelts are presently dodgy, lap sash but nowhere to anchor the top part hence the need to put retractors in. To get me through I could put lap belts only in as there are anchors for these. I want to eventually get retractors and child seat anchors.