Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: su needle help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all, had my engine machined etc, so is now 1100 60 over with a graham russell cam head all done too.

I have a 1 1/2 su that I had rebuilt here in Brisbane, the man has put an ADF needle in it and said he filed heaps off but said that was the best he could get it to.

I am starving for fuel when revving up high I cant even get to 90 on the highway without it starving,

any one have any recommendations as to what needle I could try please. Im kind disappointed to have spent $$ and still not right.

Thanks Julie

Post subject: Re: su needle help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:38 pm 
Yay For Hay!

have a look at this in Internet Explorer (Chrome doesn't like it, dunno about Firefox etc.)

http://www.morrismini.com/SUNeedlesV2.a ... &size=.090

a couple of different needles against your ADF - ADK looks interesting - has your man put an O2 sensor up the exhaust and looked at the air fuel ratios?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:02 pm 
998cc
998cc

What Simon Says!!!!!!

also give all the necessary culprits for fuel blockage the once over ( run it without an air filter to check/ run without fuel cap to see if vents were creating hassles for fuel pump/ check pump and fuel lines/ Clean the carb bowl and valve seat...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:26 am 
848cc
848cc

Also if a new main jet assembly has been fitted check to see it is not partially blocked, of the 6 I have fitted over the last couple of years 3 have had this problem! and you would not want to know how long it took to discover the problem the first time! just glad I do all my own work as it could have been expensive to find what was wrong , new jet , cant be a problem etc etc,
John.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks all, the caby was rebuilt and cleaned by him, have a brand new fuel filter and electric pump. Im not sure if he used an o2 sensor, after the amount I was charged im not really wanting to go back. Are you saying drive it without the air filter to see what that's like?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:58 pm 
998cc
998cc

the easiest way to see if the air filter is clogged or causing blockage is to just take it off and go for a quick run without it..... ( not recommended for an extended period obviously) .
I am trying to first eliminate any problem regarding fuel and air, rather than it just being a tuning ( needle etc issue)
As JM has said time ( big time) can be lost by assuming new or attended to means it is eliminated, so go right back to basics
Diagnosing fuel / air blockages is best done methodically and changing only one thing at a time to test improvement. But the small opening like the jet orifice or the bottom of the jet tube are sneaky culprits.
If the car been sitting for a long period or has the tank been run whilst low then some crud can be picked up or some moisture builds up ans clings to the existing dirt ....and sometimes it is only under load that the blockage becomes really noticable .. is it definately fuel? or is it breaking down (spark system)?
You dont have two filters in the fuel line do you? . ( one near the pump and one near the carb? ) the very modest electrical pumps that our minis require sometimes struggle with two strainers

If you think it is fuel blockage rather than needle selection , then don't be aafraid to return to the mechanic, ( just be truthful and say it just hasnt been running properly since it was rebuilt)

If the rebuild included timing up the new cam profile, are they sure they got the correct offset key? ( another current thread talks about gtting the cam timing correct)

If it is all seemingly okay except for the needle , then i would suggest giving GR ( Graham Russell) a ring with the cam used the engine specs and i am sure somewhere in his small bore build he can come close with a starter needle? I am not familiar with a worked 1100 build so have no idea where the needle ballpark would be) Tslk to Simon to give you a run down on his SU tune thingy regarding richness/ openings at different stations if you don't understand... it is the best tool for working out changes once you get a good starting point needle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:24 pm 
998cc
998cc

..And be very careful in the meantime... running particularly lean at this stage is sure fire way to burn a piston......

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:48 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Fit a no.7 Needle.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:22 am 
religious status
religious status

I found a CP4 needle works well with a sports filter. On a 1098 with hs4.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:44 am 
Yay For Hay!

#7 and CP4 are both fixed needles, jacet currently has a sprung needle - converting probably isn't an option. Jacet, stick with needles that are 3 letters and confirm when you order that they are sprung

however, I'm more concerned about your air fuel ratio. Are you friends with any mechanics who might let you take them for a drive with their tester?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 am 
848cc
848cc

SU Midel sell a bush to fit fixed needles in floating needle pistons - I've used them to put CP4needles in late MG HS4s. About $12 from memory.

Sapphire Blue Deluxe spread across three parts cars, two sheds and a driveway...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

AAM is like a 7 in springy ones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 am 
Bimmer Twinky

Julie, if you can get the car to us we will fix it for you easy-peasy
ReadSpeed, Murarrie (07)33 999 999 or my mobile 0407 135 656

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

HI all, thanks for your replies, I got an aby needle it too had issues, ended up pulling carby off to look at jet and sure enough I think that may be the problem, when its done up it twists the tube and I can see a warp in the tube. so seeing as someone said there has been issues with jets, what do I buy? they are the same as what I have on minisport and I only have 1 1/4 ones which are the wrong side.

I also had called carb tech and he was most unhelpful after taking so much of my money, he was supposed to get me another needle but said he hadn't and would do it at lunch and call me but never bothered to call me back! I doubt id be able to recover any of my wasted money from this man... not happy.

how can I attach a photo to show you guys the jet?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

I think I have uploaded a photo of the jet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.