Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: re-looming strategies
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Hi all,

Recently pulled the clubby out of storage and have been planning a bit of work over the summer. One of the jobs I would like to do is re wire everything. Right now it's a bit of a mess and I've also got something draining the battery.

Anyway, before I get carried away, I'm interested to find out what my best options may be for re doing the wiring throughout the engine bay and essentially the whole car. Should I pull the current loom out and try replicate things and start from scratch? Are there any good techniques / things to keep in mind during this process or any tips to help make it easier.

Cheers,

Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm 
998cc
998cc

You could always buy a new loom and install that...

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:14 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

If you're going to make your own loom consider future owners and try to use a standard wiring colour code (ideally the original colour code). Its a dog of a job trying to diagnose faults when all the wires are the wrong colour (or all the same colour!). I've made my own looms by modifying existing ones from other vehicles and its not that hard to do. Its harder to make one from scratch because you really need to source all of the diferent wire colours in the correct gauges.

If you get a loom already made, you don't have to worry about all of that and you'll find that the new wire is much more flexible than the old stuff that has been baked inside the body for the last 30-50 years. New looms are much easier to put in. The terminals will be all new and uncorroded too.

Just a tip. When you take the old loom out, tie some strong cord to it and pull it through, leaving it in place for pulling the new loom back.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:18 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I intended to completely replace the harness in my '66 mini but once I started on it, the original harness was so good I just untaped it and cleaned the wires. Factory quality wasn't bad. Plus you get to keep the moulded terminals.
Fitted extra wiring for lights, tacho, relays, reversing light, etc using correct colour codes and retaped everything. Bought the wire, terminals, tapes and tools from Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd in UK as I couldn't find a local source selling all the Lucas colour combinations.
Remove the old harness piece by piece; use masking tape to label each group of wires e.g. light switch, and make a sketch showing where each lead fits the switch. Also tape up to mark where a group of wires branch out of the harness to different units.
The engine bay/dash controls/lights are in the front half and the rear harness takes off at the body junction above the windscreen wiper motor. This is where Timbo's advice about having a cord left behind in the A pillar to rethread the new loom is useful. Usually, the rear harness is in better condition and may not need replacing.
Photocopy the wiring diagram from a manual - you'll refer to it often.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:46 pm 
998cc
998cc

You could also watch episode 19 of project Binki for ideas.

https://youtu.be/QBXT1sHP92w?t=421

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:10 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Timbo wrote:
If you're going to make your own loom consider future owners and try to use a standard wiring colour code (ideally the original colour code). Its a dog of a job trying to diagnose faults when all the wires are the wrong colour (or all the same colour!).
Tim

Hee hee, I know of one loom in a (non-Mini) car that was done in all white (on purpose mind you!)

The thing is with a 50 year old harness, you have no idea what sort of rough handling it may have had in certain areas, where it might have rubbed or chafed through, you have no idea how corroded or worn connectors are internally and at the connector junctions, you have no idea whether spring tension in connectors has been compromised, bodged repairs etc...throw in 50 years of heat and vibration cycles and often it is more good luck than anything else that the loom is still functional (I know they can go forever!! I have seen near 100 year old looms still functioning but quietly sitting there as a real fire hazard)

So...either re-wire and re-terminate your loom with good quality wire and insulation or take the risk (buy a fire extinguisher and fit a battery isolation switch near the drivers seat) or pay the $4-500 for a newie :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

I put a new loom from Vinwire in my car and I reckon it was $500 well spent. But if your original loom is in good nick it could be retaped or even rebound in cotton and last another 50 years if looked after...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:22 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

TartanRed wrote:
and last another 50 years if looked after...

How do you "look after" a 50 year old loom :?: :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Looking at ordering new wires now, can anyone suggest what AWG to use?

https://asapwire.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=737

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:11 pm 
religious status
religious status

I'm about to marry a Clubby and roundy loom so we can run a MK 2 binnacle and switches in a 71 Clubby.
Should be fun... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:19 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

aussie wrote:
Looking at ordering new wires now, can anyone suggest what AWG to use?

https://asapwire.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=737

Are you planning to keep the loom standard in all respects, or upgrading and adding? If standard I can provide the factory specification of specific wires if you list them.

Are you familiar with local supplier JayDee and its products?

https://jaydeeautocables.com.au/

Edit: I incorrectly named vinwire when first posted instead of JatDee.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:44 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

When I repaired/modified mine recently, I found it hard to find local suppliers for all the different colour-coded wires needed. Ended up buying from:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu

Their website has lots of information about application and they do cut lengths or whole reels.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

To elaborate on what I mentioned above, this is the wire spec in number of strands and colour coding table on the Mini harness engineering drawing.

Click twice to enlarge the image.

Attachment:
AYA9221 Main Harness Mini Wire Spec.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:51 pm 
998cc
998cc

If you repair / modify your existing loom, use some non adhesive tape rather than sticky insulation tape. Bit more fiddley to use, but keeps the wires clean after you clean them all up (no sticky crap) and the finished loom is more flexible and looks the goods. I think this was how the original looms were done, unless they were the early cotton braded ones.
Available from Rare Spares on South Road.
I still use normal insulation tape at the end of a run to secure the non adhesive tape.
I have only done one loom like this, but it will be the way of the future for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:39 am 
Yay For Hay!

IndigoBlueCooperS wrote:
If you repair / modify your existing loom, use some non adhesive tape rather than sticky insulation tape. Bit more fiddley to use, but keeps the wires clean after you clean them all up (no sticky crap) and the finished loom is more flexible and looks the goods. I think this was how the original looms were done, unless they were the early cotton braded ones.
Available from Rare Spares on South Road.
I still use normal insulation tape at the end of a run to secure the non adhesive tape.
I have only done one loom like this, but it will be the way of the future for me.

self amallgamating tape? https://www.jaycar.com.au/self-amalgama ... o/p/NM2826