Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:41 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

DavidE wrote:
timmy201 wrote:
Good to hear yours is working well now ARP1275

simon k wrote:
The fact that it goes into reverse without crunching kinda points to everything being OK, because it's usually the one that crunches first... 2nd gear does take a beating

Get someone to put their foot on the clutch and see if the big nuts in the middle of the clutch cover (the wok) are hard up against it - if there is any clearance then the clutch isn't going in as far as it can. If it's hard up against it, then the clutch pedal & hydraulics are doing everything they can and the issue is more sinister

I had James and Phill have a look at my car and they both think there is still air in the system. We tried with and without the return spring but no difference. I measured the slave pushrod distance a bit more accurately and it's probably closer to 15mm than 20mm and the top of the pedal feels a bit spongy. I still have to check the first lot of suggestions and then I'll check the adjustment as suggested above. I discarded the lock nuts a few years ago as they came loose and wound their way in.

Unfortunately I left the 3/8" spanner on the slave cylinder bleeder and it may have fallen off driving down the highway :oops:

Getting to the clutch arm is a bit of a pain since I put the fresh air heater in

Does you replacement slave cylinder have a seal spreader installed?

The original slave cylinder did have one and I reused it with the new seal kit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:00 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

An interesting afternoon..

I bled the slave again and no bubbles came through but it was still a bit spongy at the top of the travel.

I disconnected the slave from the flywheel housing, removed the rubber dust seal and pushrod to confirm the slave cylinder was moving as it should and it all looked ok.

I finally got up the courage to pull the heater out so that I could get to the clutch arm as it seemed a bit wobbly when wiggling from the top end with the slave disconnected.

The bottom clevis pin was worn enough to give a bit of slop. After much effort I removed the old one (you can still see the remains of the split pin in the clevis) and replaced it with a new one. It is super tight there now and there is no slop in the arm. The ball on the end of the clutch arm was a bit worn, but was the best looking one I had in the garage.

The pedal was is really good, better than it's ever been since I've had the car. By removing all the small amounts of wear in the system it's made a big difference overall. I also reinstalled some throw-out stop nuts

BUT 2nd gear still crunches when changing down :x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 am 
Yay For Hay!

timmy201 wrote:

can't tell you why it's started doing it now, but it sounds like it's time to learn to double-clutch...

clutch in, out of 3rd gear, clutch out and blip the throttle with the side of your foot, clutch back in, 2nd gear, clutch out, go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:37 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

simon k wrote:
timmy201 wrote:

can't tell you why it's started doing it now, but it sounds like it's time to learn to double-clutch...

clutch in, out of 3rd gear, clutch out and blip the throttle with the side of your foot, clutch back in, 2nd gear, clutch out, go

2nd gear had been been playing up very occasionally when trying to shift down too quickly. Perhaps the time I drove it finished off the synchro. It's been at least 25-30 years since this engine/gearbox went in the car so it's time may have been up

Now to learn how to double clutch!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:07 pm 
998cc
998cc

A constant mesh gearbox doesn't usually need double clutching. Just blip the throttle on down changes to give the synchro rings an easy time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:59 am 
998cc
998cc

I had a problem with the clutch about 3 months ago everything was new , without going into great detail I made the slave cylinder push rod adjustable, fixed the problem best clutch ever, the length of the push rod was increased 14 mm.No other way to fix it.
Allen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:55 pm 
998cc
998cc

Got to love the forum for knowledge, since I got my car the clutch was really low like pressing into the carpet low, have a search find this thread, first thing I check in the clevis thing and it had fallen out from the pedal. Now got a clutch that isn't in the carpet, it still feels a bit low so will have further investigation but so much better! Thanks Timmy and co!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:44 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Did you check the brake clevis while you were there?

The clutch system on a mini has many small wear points that can add up to make a big difference. Any wear on the lower clevis on the clutch arm & the ball on the end of the clutch arm especially so due to the leverage ratio.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:10 pm 
998cc
998cc

Yep double checked the brake one while I was there. Yes reading this thread it seems a few mm here and there certainly add up. Something to investigate later but nice to have a semi decent clutch pedal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:14 pm 
998cc
998cc

p7676 wrote:
I had a problem with the clutch about 3 months ago everything was new , without going into great detail I made the slave cylinder push rod adjustable, fixed the problem best clutch ever, the length of the push rod was increased 14 mm.No other way to fix it.
Allen

It easy to check whether a problem is being caused by a short push rod. Pull the slave rubber boot back so that you can see into the cylinder, have the magicians attractive assistant push the pedal to the floor. If the sleeve piston is now pressing on the Cclip at the outer end of the cylinder then lengthening the rod may help. Otherwise its not going to buy you anything.

It is possible that pushing the piston and seal further into the cylinder may help if the cylinder wall has localised pitting ..but probably not.

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:06 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I would like to overhaul my clutch slave cylinder.

Where can I buy the new internals? Namely the spring and black part with holes.

Attachment:
Clutch Xlave Cylinder Parts.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:20 pm 
998cc
998cc

cooperess wrote:
I would like to overhaul my clutch slave cylinder.

Where can I buy the new internals? Namely the spring and black part with holes.

Attachment:
Clutch Xlave Cylinder Parts.jpg

I have a NOS "black part with holes" but in translucent, and used ones as well, AFAIK you won't buy any new springs. Why not clean the one you have using a wire wheel?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The “seal spreader” was available from drmini a few years back, maybe he has some left

I reused the seal spreader and spring from the original slave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:14 pm 
religious status
religious status

timmy201 wrote:
The “seal spreader” was available from drmini a few years back, maybe he has some left

Yes I do send me a PM.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:30 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Is there any way to check if your clutch works with the engine out of the car? Tried to move rod by hand and it's a no go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next